What is better? a Top of Line AVR or used separates for Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIQURA786

Reaction score
Need some advise. I have the top of the line Onkyo TX-NR5007. I like the features but wondering if I can get better sound with used separates. Can someone recommend a good preamp and amp combo? Thanks

Try what you have and if you are happy, stick with it. I am assuming you have the Onyko for HT. There are lots of amps available. If money or space aren't big factors Aragon or Sunfires are always good with ML speakers. I hear Bel Canto amps work well also.

If you are truly concerned about high quality two-channel sound, then I firmly believe that quality separates will out-perform a quality receiver, and by a large margin. If you are willing to buy used, I think a lot of quality separates can be had for reasonable prices.

Rich - Thanks for the reply. I would like to improve the 2-channel performance. Is it better to use the Onkyo as a processor, and then add a 2-channel amp for audio and use the Onkyo as a pre/pro for movies. Or, should I build a separate 2-channel around the Vantage using separates. I had tried a Rotel RMB-1075 but was not impressed.

What I do is use an integrated amp with bypass (Marantz PM8003).

My 2ch source goes into the Marantz, the L/R Vistas are connected to the Marantz.

When using the home theater the Marantz is in 'bypass' mode, and unly the power amps are used (the pre-amp and volume are not in the loop).

Then when I am in 2ch mode I turn off bypass and then I am back to a simple 2ch system.

I think most folks migrate to what Jrace is saying. That's what I do as well.

JRace - That's great feedback. I never thought of using the bypass mode.
Rich - What integrated amp do you use? Thanks for the advise.

There's a Rogue Audio Perseus Pre-Amp with HT Bypass on the 'Gon right now for $1100. It's gotten pretty good reviews. I read one review about it on this forum that called it the "gem" of the Rogue Pre-amp lineup. As for amplifiers go, a good set of mono-blocks won't steer you wrong. I'm personally going to be using Monarchy SE-160's for a while (there's a nice set of SE-100's up as of a few days ago on the 'Gon) and am eventually, within the next year, going to upgrade to Rogue M-150's.

Google Pre-Amp HT Bypass or something similar. I found a thread on one of the HT forums that basically listed every current Amp with HT Bypass available. A lot of it is going to come down to your taste, and if you prefer tube or solid state.

Good luck.

Couple of questions....Ok, more than a couple.:D

Do you have a budget?

Is your HT 5.1 or 7.1?

Would you be opposed to using your bluray player to do the HT decoding?

Do you have a major preference, 2 channel vs. HT?

Do you ever do any 5.1 (SACD, DVDa or Bluray) music listening?

Depenidng on your answers to the questions above, there are some really nice analog Pre-amps out there that can be paired with separate multichannel amp and basically give you the best of both HT and 2 channel, that is depending on your take on the questions above.

After looking at the Onkyo TX-NR5007, I would think that you would want to try using the Onkyo as a pre and just hook up one or two amps for your 2 channel or multi-channel. That way you get some more use out of it and you could keep all the nice features....and there are a lot of them with the Onkyo and then you get the power and splendor of separate amplication. That is until you go 3D and HDMI 1.4a.........oops they are already out, time to get a new pre-amp.:D

Never mind, my first post.

I'd second the idea of going with outboard amplification. The AVR should serve you well unless you need all of today's bells and whistles.

I was into HT several years back but drifted away from staying current, so my HT is quite dated so take my advice with caution :D

Gordon

I have my Vantages powered by the Pass X-250, but everything runs thru an ES Series AVR. I don't listen to much if any two channel; I have 40+ multichannel SACDs so I can enjoy all my speakers, space and channels. This is obviously just my preferences. Even my local radio station is listened in pro-logic surround.

Lee

I ran a Parasound #2100 preamp with bass control and HT bypass between my Pioneer HT Elite reciever and a Sunfire grand cinema amp.

I used 4 of the 5 channels on the Grand Cinema to Bi amp the speakers and used the 5th channel for my center channel.

I liked the Parasound preamp for 2 channel listening it was very musical and can be had new for $650 on a few online audio sites and you can typically get a used Grand cinema in the 1000-1200 range used on audiogon

This will give you 400 watts to each speaker ( be careful with the volume) and 200 to the center channel thru your reciever your reciever will then be used for HT purposes and movie decoding and will also let you go into 2 channel mode at the flip of the switch with a fairly ( for its price) musical 2 channel preamp in the Parasound

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Hello,
If Home Theater is important to you, perhaps the TX-NR3007 and a used 2 channel Amplifier might be the way to go. The 3007 sells for hundreds less than the 5007 with the major difference being the 5007 using a Toroidal Transformer in addition to 2 EL Core Transformers while the 3007 uses 3 EL Core Power Transformers.

Adding something like an Aragon 4004 MKII (Designed by Krell Founder Dan D'Agostino) for under 750 Dollars or a used Parasound HCA-2200 for around 600 Dollars would give you plenty of power for the Vantages while still having THX Processing, Audyssey MultEQ XT Room EQ, Internet Radio, True HD, DTS-HD and much, much more.
Cheers,
JJ

Rich - What integrated amp do you use? Thanks for the advise.

I use a Meridian G68 surround processor feeding a Sunfire 5400 amp for the center and four rear channels. For the front L&R channels, the signal is routed through my ARC Ref 3 preamp in bypass mode and on to the Sanders Sound ESL Monobloc amplifiers powering a pair of Summits.

All very good suggestions. I am leaning towards the preamp with an HT bypass option, but at the same time I also think outboard amplification for all the channels is also a good idea. I might have to sell the Onkyo:confused:

All very good suggestions. I am leaning towards the preamp with an HT bypass option, but at the same time I also think outboard amplification for all the channels is also a good idea. I might have to sell the Onkyo:confused:

Why do you have to sell the Onkyo? does it have pre outs?

if it does put a quality preamp in between it and a good power amp, it will still act as your surround processor and the pre and amp can handle 2 channel sound and the 5 channel amp can also be the amp driving your surround setup

Latest posts

Back