What does your significant other think?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI,
I have the best spouse-none. WAF to me is a female Air Cadet. Female decoration issues reside next door. Selecting wallpaper is a puzzle without an obvious reason.

No doubt significant others have their uses but I have hard time recalling them. I love being single. Eat your hearts out, guy's. :haha1:

Oh, I remember one. Food.

Sparky

Stay the course, Sparky. Don't bite the dust. I almost did in my younger days and now am real glad I didn't. Occasional regrets from time to time though. :cheers:

My wife and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary this April. You can't be with someone that long, through businesses, kids, and grandkids, and not learn to accept their foibles and idiosyncrasies. She has hers ... and this is one of mine. :D

I know my wife since we were both 15...her father shares with me the passion for everything HiFi and listening to music played through quality gear, so I have strong support in the family.... Her mother shares with her the passion for shoes, so it's almost a tie. She would be happier if loudspeakers were smaller but accepts them as they are, given the result - which she appreciates. She is happy to see me happy...the only divergence we have is about when loud is loud enough - there's a 6 dB difference between us :rolleyes:

I like "being there", and playing it louder helps me. She likes to chat and comunicate while listening to music. For her, music is like a glass of wine with the meal; for me, the glass of wine IS the meal.

My wife is okay with the Summits and the rest of the stuff. She can appreciate good 2 channel. It's the rest that she doesn't understand. 5.1 does nothing for her - "You've only got 2 ears, why do you need surround speakers?"

My wife is okay with the Summits and the rest of the stuff. She can appreciate good 2 channel. It's the rest that she doesn't understand. 5.1 does nothing for her - "You've only got 2 ears, why do you need surround speakers?"

LOL! :D

Good one Edwin!

edwin,

your quote is why I asked the question. Great stuff!:D

- "You've only got 2 ears, why do you need surround speakers?"

easy question to answer........ HT / movies. Stereo dosen't begin to "cut-it" when watching a good action filled movie.

Last edited:
My wife was one of those "a speaker is a speaker" people when we were dating and she thought I was crazy to spend as much as I did on a used pair of Aerius i's. But now she goes to her sisters house, and she can't stand to listen to music there. :p What actually converted her to the ML's was watching movies. We can listen at sane volume levels and still understand the dialog, and it all sounds quite natural.

We did a movie night for our Pastor and his wife this past Friday. He has been trying to convince his wife to get a surround system for home, and the only examples she has heard was her sisters system which is apparently too loud and too in your face. She left our place quite impressed with the sound, and now the Pastor thinks he may have a shot at convincing her to get some kind of system.

As for my wife, she has morphed from a speaker is a speaker, to supporting my desire to upgrade to either Vista's or Vantages. (Still waffling big time on the choice between those two, and wondering if I should hear the Acoustic Zen Adagio's :eek: )

Chuck

My wife shares an appreciation for good music, but it is not an obsession with her like it is with me. She understands but does not exactly share my desire to have the absolute best sound system regardless of price. She is much more conservative in her ideas of how much money should be spent on a sound system. (I am slowly working on that, though). What she really doesn't get is the desire to constantly tweak and upgrade. She is apparently completely immune to Joeyitis and truly doesn't understand the ramifications of this illness on someone like me. She actually thinks I should have some control over these compulsions. :D

Also, her idea of great surround sound is kind of unique. As far as music listening, she prefers four speakers (two in front and two behind) with each pair being fed the same stereo signal at the same sound levels. To her, that is the pinnacle of great surround sound.

I can't complain though. We have a deal with the house remodel that we are going through. I am giving her complete control over the whole house remodel except for the media room. She is giving me complete control over the media room. YESSSSSS!!!!!! :rocker:

When we were looking for a new system, we looked at pretty much everything around town (in our price range). My wife thought they all sounded the same, but she said the Claritys were "pretty". A brand new pair arrived at the house about two weeks later.

She still claims that she can't really hear a difference in speakers. However, when I make her close her eyes and listen, she admits that the speakers disappear and all she hears is Harry. :band:

My soon to be wife like many others it seems, didn't quite understand at first. Lucky for me I had the majority of my equipment before we met so I was able to gradually build her appreciation for the Logan experience. I would say that now she definitely enjoys listening with me and can appreciate how the music sounds through the system. In fact, she told me a story the other day about one of her well off co-workers bragging about their "media room" and how great it was to have a Bose surround system. Heather kindly informed her that she had no idea what she was missing out on if she thought Bose was the pinnacle. That put a smile on my face. :D

My wife did not like my HT setup at first. She thought it took up too much space in the condo. When we first started dating we would do movie night. Most movies at the time where “Romantic comedies”. Then one day she brought over the HBO series “The Band Of Brothers” DTS. We would watch one disk a night. This is when the HT won her over. She told me it made her apprehensive watching it because she felt as if she where in the battles.

Still she still would be willing to give it up the HT for the space and less dusting.

Valentine's Day

My wife kind of understands but definetly gets upset with the cost. Specially since I'm close to retirement and will be soon living on a fixed income. But with the big one-time retirement benefit bonus - I'm thinking, what could I upgrade with all that money! After all, I'll have a lot of time to listen soon, and I want the system tweaked to perfection.

As far as listening with my sweetheart, it becomes impossible unless we're reading the Sunday paper and I'm playing some classical music. Whenever I play rock and roll or any vocals she bursts out singing with the music and it's really distracting to say the least! It's like having an out of tune third speaker sitting right next to me. Kind of ruins the imaging.

But I love her anyway, and I'm thankful she lets me have my own room and lets me indulge in my passion and she appreciates my Vantages.

Sweethearts, what would we do without them?

As far as listening with my sweetheart, it becomes impossible unless we're reading the Sunday paper and I'm playing some classical music. Whenever I play rock and roll or any vocals she bursts out singing with the music and it's really distracting to say the least! It's like having an out of tune third speaker sitting right next to me. Kind of ruins the imaging.

OUCH!!!!!!!

We have a nice sized house, she can have the rest of the house, I just want my room. I make most the money so she can't say it costs too much. Pretty much how the stereo relationship goes.

I love my wife but this is not something I am willing to compromise on. She knows this; she knows I know this so it is a non-issue.

I know if I ever downgraded to HTIB she would be sad!

Been married for three years now, but known my wife for 12. While she objects to spending the huge sums of money, she has her hobbies and I have mine - mutual respect. Whetever room the stereo is in is mine - she can do what she wants with all the other rooms!

We have a nice sized house, she can have the rest of the house, I just want my room. I make most the money so she can't say it costs too much. Pretty much how the stereo relationship goes.

I love my wife but this is not something I am willing to compromise on. She knows this; she knows I know this so it is a non-issue.

I know if I ever downgraded to HTIB she would be sad!

Roger that...I am in the same boat. When she starts making more money and paying more of the bills then she is welcome to call the shots, till then, just lay back and enjoy it! Wait that is what got that politician wanna be in Texas in BIG TROUBLE while running against Ann Richards for Gov. LOL!

Anyway, she LOVES the HT but would never buy it herself but as long as she lets me do what I want and keep my 6 car garage with all the Porsche's in it, we will get along just FINE! Love her to death for putting up w/ my craziness! Got a totally sweet card from her this AM, left it sitting on my desk in the home office...what a good girl!

My wife indulges me for a couple of reasons. We pay all of our bills out of a mutual account and each have our own discretionary income to spend on our hobbies, so the money isn't an issue. We have a large enough house that my system is currently housed in our office, but it will someday move to a dedicated room downstairs, so the space it takes up isn't an issue either. Sandy is the one who recently mentioned to me that we should get the basement work underway so that I could have my dedicated room. ;)

She appreciates the difference that she can hear on the main system, but isn't into critical listening. She's happier with the secondary system that we use for HT and that feeds the speakers outside on the deck. She prefers her music outside on a cool summer evening with a margarita.

Last edited:
She prefers her music outsdie on a cool summer evening with a margarita.

I like the sound of that, but we NEVER have cool summer evenings in central TX! The Fall is THE BEST time for us, but spring is not bad...starts getting a bit humid though.

Been married for three years now, but known my wife for 12. While she objects to spending the huge sums of money, she has her hobbies and I have mine - mutual respect. Whetever room the stereo is in is mine - she can do what she wants with all the other rooms!

Same here I've got my room, the rest of the house is hers.
Entire family uses the room for movies, But only one of my sons aquired my love of music, he'll sit right along with me. Wife enjoys music, but our tastes are different. The money thing is an issue to, sometimes I get accused of spending to much time and money on my room, rather than with her, which at least I'm willing to admit is probably true.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back