What does your significant other think?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I have always wondered. What do other peoples' significant others think of there stereo/theater? I always hear horror stories about the wife saying the speakers are big, ugly and I don't hear a difference.:mad: Tell us your story or an interesting one that you know of. Oh, Mine is great with it! :D

HI,
I have the best spouse-none. WAF to me is a female Air Cadet. Female decoration issues reside next door. Selecting wallpaper is a puzzle without an obvious reason.

No doubt significant others have their uses but I have hard time recalling them. I love being single. Eat your hearts out, guy's. :haha1:

Oh, I remember one. Food.

Sparky

Married for 31 years, that pretty much sums it up ! Seriously my love for music and audio has transfered to both my sons as well, one of which is an accomplished percussionist in his own right. Besides my wife loves music as well and as a kid when growing up there was always music in my house, so in marriage, it has become a very natural and evolving part of our relationship.

My wife sells Martin Logans. She got this job after we got our clarities. Now we're looking at summits. I'd say she's ok with it!

My wife and I have been together 25 years. While she is not an audiophile, she can enter someones home, hear music and tell with near 100 % accuracy whether she is hearing digital or analog. About half the time she can tell whether there are tubes in the system. Need I say she is of the "digital sucks" contingent of audiophilia? My selling our long term reference Apogee Divas and purchasing Summits is a source of continuing dispute. While she appreciates what the Summits bring to the party and loves the way they look, she thinks some of the music departed our home along with the Divas. Whether this is a temporary "phase" she is going through or whether I will be perpetually in the dog house remains to be seen. Her central issue is that she perceives the MLs to be less warmly balanced and more significantly that the MLs have a narrower sweetspot (we often listen together) than the more diffusely focused Divas. I am still breaking in the Summits, playing with cables and placement. We shall see. I DO trust her ears.

My girlfriend asked me today on the cell, "If I were a speaker, what would I be? Which veneer; cherry or birds eye maple?"

I was dumbfounded!

(I'm not lying either!) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I think we have a keeper, folks!

Joey ;)

Married 18 years, known her for 21 (she was my little sister in the fraternity in College), she is a Band Director and co-director of the church Praise Band, she plays French Horn, Flute, and Piano as good as the best of them. As a band director, she can play and teach ANY instrument in the band.

That said she would not qualify as an audiophile. She likes music but has no desire to listen critically and as long as the speakers sound ok, she is fine with that. As for the BIG ML's she just stays out of my way when it comes to my hobbies... Gotta love that!

that is awsome!:D

And your response?

My response was she was svelte like the Summits, but not as big.... so kinda like a smaller version of the Summits.. but not like the Vantages where it only has 1 woofer for each speaker. I told her that she had two ten inch woofers :eek: .

Also, I told her that she was probably birds eye maple as she is beautiful and exotic.

Then I commented that maybe shewasnt a Martin Logan and that maybe she was sexy and high-maintenance like a Sonus Faber Cremona, leather clad and all.

She got a kick out of it... but I dont think she knew what I was babbling about. Actually, now that I think of it, I dont think I knew what I was babbling about either..... this conversation came from left field!

Joey

Last edited:
that is a great story....wish I could meet the both of you.

The catch you ask? The big diamond ring!!!

Last edited:
32 years of marriage. My wife has grown acustomed to my toys (audio and woodworking tools), Most of which just appear one day. I went out to buy two new rear speakers (the 15 year old Boston Acoustics had rotted the cone surrounds), and came home with a ML 6.1 system. She is great. Of course I do not mention about the shoes and craft supplies.

After 25 years of marriage, my spouse is very understanding of my passion for music and sound reproduction.

Matter of fact, she's an accomplished accomplice (say that three times) in my DIY escapades.
She's the handy-person in the household, and owns the router (a Xmas gift from me to her a few years ago ;) )

While she loves the sound of the ML theater, she's just as happy listening to her iPod or the secondary systems elsewhere in the house.

And as an artist, she appreciates the stately beauty of the ML's.

I'm a lucky guy :cool:

My Wife tolerates my hobby but not without a lot of negotiation on my part. Her issues are 1) money and 2) time "wasted" only listening to music. :duh:

Now that the major components are bought the stress has gone down. That is until we move (soon) to a larger house / mortgage! (we have an 18 month old :food12: and probably more on the way someday....so need more space....and I understand the budget concerns!)

Given the budget issue (different priority right now) you probably won't see me upgrading for a long time. No worries b/c I love my Ascents i's.

The bright side is that when we get a larger house I hope to set up my system in a more central / primary living area and thus get to listen without appearing to "waste" my time. Of course my Ascent i's may clash with the decorating! :banghead:

Don't get me wrong....my Wife's great...she just doesn't share my passion. I'm sure after a few years and when we have some more disposible income she'll warm up to it a little more. Afterall she does like music and movies (although she really only prefers chick-flicks!)

Cheers! :cheers:

My sweetie is very tolerant of my obsession. At first, she was a little upset that I was buying new gear all the time, but since I got the small HT setup (mostly Sony and Celestion gear) she ssays she can't watch movies without the surround sound system on. (she LOVES movies).

And since I've got the "listening room" set up with the Sequels and the Carver gear, she's a LOT more understanding. She used to say that she couldn't hear a difference between cheap stereos and the high end stuff, but after a few tracks from The Wall, Diana Krall, Norah Jones and Regina Spektor, she's a "true believer". I still don't have her converted on the analogue issue though, but as soon as I get a new turntable, Im sure that will change as well... :)

I read the "what speaker would you be" post to her, and she asked me what speaker would she be. I said it depends on what she's doing at any given time. Most of the time she's a Meridian DSP8000--Curvy, sexy, and with a lot of very complex, interesting stuff inside that you don't knnow is there unless you really take time to listen. When she's being my "sweety bear", shes a ML Summit, tall, stunningly sexy, subtle, and magical. I she's had a few too many ****tails, though, she's a Cerwin Vega--loud, in your face, and needs a lot of space for safe placement...:rocker:

She got a kick out of that, espeically when I went online and showed her the speakers I was talking about.

--Richard C.

She likes all of the gear. She went in 50/50 with me on the big screen TV before we got married. So that was nice. I think she likes showing off the system to her friends when they visit too.

Kerry says, "I like stereo stuff too, and since you're paying for it, sah-weeeeet! I'm along for the free ride"

Of course I cannot jeapordize our financial picture or put "the system" ahead of real needs like keeping up the house, etc. All in all, I'm a pretty lucky guy.

:D

Latest posts

Back