What does your significant other think?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My girlfriend asked me today on the cell, "If I were a speaker, what would I be? Which veneer; cherry or birds eye maple?"

Tell her if she were a speaker would be dressed in ..."Bada Boom, Bada BuBinga" !!!

Last edited:
She is aware of the costs of the items I have bought - no hidden purchases here - and she just shakes her head about it. But she knows that I will spend within reasons of current monetary situations, not jeopardizing other family or household necessities and needs.Dan

Dan, you live too close to Wash, DC for that is the most politicaly correct answer I've read so far !!! I can hear Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" right now !

I'm sure it's true though !

Dan, you live too close to Wash, DC for that is the most politicaly correct answer I've read so far !!! ....I'm sure it's true though !
Yeah, as corny as the response read, it really is true. While I could easily go out and spend, spend, spend, I know we have many other needs and payments to make without having to up the stereo deficit fund. :rolleyes:

Dan

When we built our house back in 2002, my wife and I agreed that we would each get an 'extravagance' within the house. Hers was a custom, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling china cabinet. Mine was a pair of Ascents, a Theater center, and a Descent sub in our HT/music system. We each think we 'won'. :D

The better half

My better half's response after seeing my ReQuest's for the first time was pretty negative. She loudly proclaimed that they where infact the ugliest speakers she had ever seen. They where also way to big, and didn't sound any better than my last speakers. However, a couple of weeks ago when we both had gotten a little bit to drink, she addmitted that they actually sounded much better than my last speakers, and that we needed some new amplifiers so she could play metallica louder. I'm not thrilled about the thought of her playing metallica way to loud on my ReQuest, but this means that two monoblocks have now found their way into our budget. All in all, she was very negative at first, but after a couple of months she really likes the sound of them. She still hates the looks...

I am very lucky...

At the first time when she show my CLSIIz, she said, are those really speakers? They are trully see-through...how do they sound? and whe she did, she said..."let me bring my own cds that I have in my car.." she does likes different type of music than I do, and she said..." it is the first time that I do have the musicians playing for me..." and the look of them are sooooo different than other speakers...strange speakers, but I like them..." So now, we both enjoy very much the great sound of ML. She loves to watch TV with them too...and she is concern with the need of good electronics...I am saved!...thanks God.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

However, a couple of weeks ago when we both had gotten a little bit to drink, she addmitted that they actually sounded much better than my last speakers, and that we needed some new amplifiers so she could play metallica louder.

Whatever it takes to get a new pair of Monoblocks don't knock it! LOL!:rocker:

My wife is very understanding about it, but then again she thinks my amp cost $325:eek: .

I've been with my wife for six years next month. When we first met, her idea of good sounding music was from the cassette tapes in her Honda Civic. Fortunatly as a singer, folk guitarist and live music lover I thought there was some potential there, and yes, she has learned very quickly what truely good is.

Over the past four years my business expansion has allowed me to afford several rounds of equipment upgrades from my original Klipsch RF3s with Denon 3801 thru Rotel separates to Klipsch RF7s to Anthem Statement separates to The Summits now with BAT preamp and Aragon Palladiums. We have experienced the wonder of every upgrade together, every time saying to each other...it can't get much better than this....can it?

Having a true partner in this hobby has made it all that much more enjoyable!

I'm not married yet.
But I have come up with the best diplomatic solution, in a reverse psychology sort of way: I have my MLs NOW. If my (hopefully soon) love comes over for a visit, she won't notice them. But after the Big Day, if I were to come home with them then, chances are pretty good she'd be standing at the front door, arms crossed, with a big salad spoon in her hand, and would mutter darkly: Get a rope.....:eek: Well, unless I'd be extraordinarily lucky and find a gal who likes home audio, of course, and would recognize MLs as the fine instruments that they are....:D But the way I've set things up, I'll be able to school her in the ways of high-end audio reproduction, among other things, so she would view me and my MLs as a necessity, rather than a new situation to merely tolerate.......:haha1:
See everybody, I've avoided getting a beating with a salad spoon!

Then again you could wind up as lucky (not) as one of my superintendents who got married this past summer after being a bachelor till 38 yo. Before meeting his wife he had my old Klipsch RF3 5.1 surround sound with a HK AVR, SVS cylinder sub and a 61" Hitachi Ultravision. This setup was very good at impressing his lady friends.

Now that he is married he has a $400 HT in a Box that came from Costco along with a 32" LCD. He had to sell off his big TV and audio gear to help pay for a new kitchen (and presumeably a new salad spoon...lol!).

Now that he is married he has a $400 HT in a Box that came from Costco along with a 32" LCD. He had to sell off his big TV and audio gear to help pay for a new kitchen (and presumeably a new salad spoon...lol!).

She BETTER BE GOOD...errr...bad I mean! :devil: ;)

Then again you could wind up as lucky (not) as one of my superintendents who got married this past summer after being a bachelor till 38 yo. Before meeting his wife he had my old Klipsch RF3 5.1 surround sound with a HK AVR, SVS cylinder sub and a 61" Hitachi Ultravision. This setup was very good at impressing his lady friends.

Did your friend have that experimental surgery where they removed his b**ls and gave them to her?

Did your friend have that experimental surgery where they removed his b**ls and gave them to her?

ROFL!!!! :D :D

Good thing I'm working the audioness on my gf... she knows that I'm going to have an even crazier system later on, so she's accepted that fact.

*Phew*... I lucked out! :eek:

ROFL!!!! :D :D

Good thing I'm working the audioness on my gf... she knows that I'm going to have an even crazier system later on, so she's accepted that fact.

*Phew*... I lucked out! :eek:

Clearly you've never been married before! Girlfriends aren't wives, let us know how that works out in practice, not theory!

Latest posts

Back