What do you like/dislike about Tonepub magazine?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely DON'T feel the same!! I hate links!! Nothing's worse than having to link to each individual article, and wait forever for each link to come up.

I'd rather one download and then I can read the whole thing at my leisure.

Of course, you can then print the required pages - in the syntax of 1-10, 30-32, etc.

But my previous request still holds that I'd rather something easier to print - that is, lower res and A4 format!

To each his/her own!

Honestly, we never really meant for it to be printed. Trying to save a few
trees by going electronic. If we made it lower res, it would look like crap
when you did try to print it anyway!

But I am amazed that some people do print it. The urge to hold it is hard to
let go of....

I like many of the aspects of mag and I'm glad you added a style section. I read Tone as much for entertainment as anything else. However, there is one thing that I'd like to see in the music section, a new dynamics rating. A rating that would let you know which CDs use little or no compression. In any case, keep it up you're doing way more right than wrong. :D

Good point on the dynamics thing.

As not all of my music writers are audiophiles, Marc and I are going to make it a point to try and listen to everything we review for new music to see how it passes muster from a dynamics/recording side of the fence.

And one other thing, sometime in March/April we will be adding a forum to our website, so that issue by issue, if there are additional questions any of our readers have about a particular review, article or recording, that will be the place to interact with us about it.

Last edited:
Good point on the dynamics thing.

As not all of my music writers are audiophiles, Marc and I are going to make it a point to try and listen to everything we review for new music to see how it passes muster from a dynamics/recording side of the fence.

And one other thing, sometime in March/April we will be adding a forum to our website, so that issue by issue, if there are additional questions any of our readers have about a particular review, article or recording, that will be the place to interact with us about it.

Excellent, that's good to know and will certainly sway me in the direction of well recorded artists. It's always disappointing to get a CD I've been looking forward to only for it to have no dynamics. That CD get relegated to the car. :(

That CD get relegated to the car. :(

Really? Hmm. I find that even though it might not sound as good as others. It still sounds really good. If nothing else, it's still very enjoyable. Something that I'm very proud of b/c it never was like that until some changes..

Really? Hmm. I find that even though it might not sound as good as others. It still sounds really good. If nothing else, it's still very enjoyable. Something that I'm very proud of b/c it never was like that until some changes..

There are certain CDs, mostly Rock, that I've ordered that sounded fine on my crappy laptop speaker but don't cut it on the home system. It's not only lack of dynamics but a hollow cheap sound that I find irritating/fatiguing. I used to chalk it up to the recording capabilities of the time; however, I listen to jazz recorded 10 maybe 15 years earlier that doesn't suffer that same problem. My MCD500 has helped many CDs that were previously unlistenable. Unfortunately, as good as it is it can't fix them all. Sometimes a poor recording is just a poor recording and fortunately the car seems to be okay with that. :D

Back