What do you like/dislike about Tonepub magazine?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Time to give Jeff some feedback - we've all read it, but what do we really think?

Jeff - if you'd rather this thread didn't appear, just let me know and I'll delete it. Would have thought it would be useful, though.

Try to be honest here - honest is more useful than being nice, after all:)

Since you asked for honesty:

I like the equipment reviews, the photograhy and the classical music reviews (though they are sparse). I don't care for most of the music/live band reviews as I do not listen to rock.

I like the diversity, I can read about music, equipment of all types including automobile audio, in a lively style that surpasses the dryness of other similar publications. What I don't like is the online format. While I fully understand the purpose, I like to do my recreational reading somewhere other than in front of a computer. Just my age showing I guess. I have tried printing certain articles out on my laser color printer but that gets costly and the quality suffers.

I like the fact that it is in PDF format--something that is platform agnostic and has multiple readers available for it. I detest those bloated apps that make the sound of pages turning, etc. I also like the fact that back issues are available for download. I have them all stored locally here, so I can refer to them without eating up Jeff's bandwidth more than I have to.

I like the equipment and music reviews, but don't particularly care for the other "lifestyle" content (though I tend to skim it anyway, just in case something catches my eye).

And of course, the price is right! :)

If there was one thing I would ask to improve Tone Audio, it would be to increase the publication schedule!

I think it is a cool read. I'm not really interested in the non-gear stuff... unless an album review falls within my tastes - or possibly a nice watch or camera. Photography is good too - in the HiFi+ league, really. That's quite a complement.

Possibly the gear reviews are a "bit safe" in terms of what they say, but they are well written and informative.

All in all I like it.

Regarding the content, I like everything.

Regarding the format, two things REALLY annoy me:

1: The page size is not easy to print
2: The resolution takes too long to print

I don't read on the screen - I like to read on the train or sitting on the beach or sitting out the back. A laptop is particularly difficult outside as the screen washes out.

I like the fact that it is in PDF format--something that is platform agnostic and has multiple readers available for it. I detest those bloated apps that make the sound of pages turning, etc. I also like the fact that back issues are available for download. I have them all stored locally here, so I can refer to them without eating up Jeff's bandwidth more than I have to.

I like the equipment and music reviews, but don't particularly care for the other "lifestyle" content (though I tend to skim it anyway, just in case something catches my eye).

And of course, the price is right! :)

If there was one thing I would ask to improve Tone Audio, it would be to increase the publication schedule!

Well, our goal for next year is not to increase the issue count, because if you read the average issue of Stereophile or TAS, they both have about 50-70 pages of actual content after you take out the letters, announcements and ads, while we tend to be about 110 pages of actual content in an approximately 160 page magazine.

What we are going to do is increase the density of our website next year...

At the present, the gear, hardware and concert reviews on the site are bonus content, not in the magazine. What we are trying to do, to give everyone more to read is add to that content, giving you more info on a weekly basis. These days, we've been updating the site about every three to four weeks and I'm pushing for weekly asap.

I've also got another big surprise in store sometime late 1st quarter, early 2nd quarter that we've been working on for some time that I think everyone else will enjoy.

We are also working on a TONE "lite" website that will be accessible to PDA's, iPhones and the like... not sure when that will be done.

Last but not least, we've done multiple readers surveys and per one of my earlier posts, we are really on a mission to bring more music people that aren't hifi people into our world and the style section has been a big hit with about 95% of our readers.

We will not increase the style section any bigger than it is now, I just wanted it to be something fun to tie in with what the readers of our magazine have told me they are interested in and whenever possible it's always tied in to some kind of angle with music or visual arts. I get tired of just taking pics of gear all the time! But rest assured, we will not turn into the Robb Report any time soon.

Unfortunately, classical will go away after the Feb issue. Less than 1% read it, but what we have found out is that most people that really enjoy classical music DON'T like much else. So our classical writer, Dan Babineau will be starting a classical only site that we will cross promote. Give the classical people more of what they want I say. He will then review more new classical for us in the current release section.

We have added four new music writers in the last two issues and we have three more about to come on board, so we will be broadening our coverage to include more country, alt country, singer/songwriter, blues and reggae music. Jazz coverage will also be beefed up next year.

So that's the short list of what's on the agenda for now. Now that we are in year four, I'm happy with where TONE has gone, but there is still plenty of work to do.

We do appreciate your reading and support...

Regarding the content, I like everything.

Regarding the format, two things REALLY annoy me:

1: The page size is not easy to print
2: The resolution takes too long to print

I don't read on the screen - I like to read on the train or sitting on the beach or sitting out the back. A laptop is particularly difficult outside as the screen washes out.

If I am honest, one thing that annoys me is the column layout at times - I just hate it when I have to read a very narrow column pushed to the far right of the page just because that page is accommodating an ad. I know the ads make it free, but there aren't the space constraints a printed mag has...

Just a minor nag, really. But it all adds up.

Unfortunately, classical will go away after the Feb issue. Less than 1% read it, but what we have found out is that most people that really enjoy classical music DON'T like much else. So our classical writer, Dan Babineau will be starting a classical only site that we will cross promote. Give the classical people more of what they want I say. He will then review more new classical for us in the current release section.

Three cheers!

Sorry classical lovers... but!:)

• Linking in ads. Seems silly but it’s effective and so convenient. See an ad you like? Click on it and go to the manufacturer/distributors site and get more info.
  • Purchase options on content reviews. Click and download or buy.
  • PDF layout is great.
  • Price is right.
  • High rez is a huge plus, especially if I print the pages for a review on my color laser printer.
  • actually reviews ML's - and likes them! ;)

Dislikes

For a wired up audio focused magazine, precious few opportunities to hear the music you write about.

Yes I can buy, but can I easily sample?

Over all : very nice mag :bowdown:

Thanks,

We can't do the sampling yet, because of all the licensing agreements with the record companies, but we are talking to Amazon, so some of that could come on line next year....

It is on the list of to do's.

1%

Hi Jeff,

FWIW, I listen to alot of classical as well as Pink Floyd, Nels Cline, NIN, much jazz, etc. One of my favorite genres is female voice in all its iterations.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I will make a statement about classical music.

If one's priority is to assemble a system that tries, in it's own imperfect way, to reproduce music that resembles the sound of live / unamplified music, classical music is a "must have" in your music collection. This assumes, of course, that you attend classical concerts thereby giving you some reasonable benchmark upon which to judge.

Absent this reality check, I personally find this genre to be extremely engaging and "pure", absent the manipulation of the sonic event that is inherent in other types of recorded music.

GG

Jeff,

I like it a lot also. Some things I would improve:

- the pdf's are huge and take a long time to download, even with DSL

- can you load all the reviews on the website. you mentioned soolois in another post. I googled it, and was hoping to find your review online, as I am too lazy to load all of the pdf files to search for it. Search engine optimization with the audiophile brands can be a great business strategy.

Great job overall!

I was just thinking that some interviews on MP3 and/or videos with important hi-fi figures would be very cool e.g. William Z Johnson etc... very nice to put a voice and face to a name.

You could host them on your website, or dump them on YouTube, with links in the mag. This would go where no mag has gone before... for me it would be a killer addition. And it is easy to do. Do that and the music previews suggested before and it'd help to make an even better mag.

A killer scoop would be a Gayle Sanders interview on video...

Last edited:
Jeff,

I like it a lot also. Some things I would improve:

- the pdf's are huge and take a long time to download, even with DSL

- can you load all the reviews on the website. you mentioned soolois in another post. I googled it, and was hoping to find your review online, as I am too lazy to load all of the pdf files to search for it. Search engine optimization with the audiophile brands can be a great business strategy.

Great job overall!

That's why we now have the table of contents along side every issue and there is an index on the website as well...

http://www.tonepublications.com/ToneAudio/Index.html

You shouldn't be having too long of a download time. Most broadband connections seem to be taking 45 sec to about 2 minutes. I can't even walk to the mailbox to get the absolute sound in two minutes!

We will not be loading all the reviews on the website. It defeats the purpose of having a magazine. What we will do next year is put the first paragraph or so up, so that you can then download the issue. Again, free content and large writer payroll means we have to generate cash somewhere....

I get most of my other consumer magazines on Zinio.com, and they all seem to be in the 40-80mb file size, so at 50-60mb, I don't think we are too far off base.

We will not be doing You Tube, but we do have something in mind....

Hi Jeff,

FWIW, I listen to alot of classical as well as Pink Floyd, Nels Cline, NIN, much jazz, etc. One of my favorite genres is female voice in all its iterations.

If one's priority is to assemble a system that tries, in it's own imperfect way, to reproduce music that resembles the sound of live / unamplified music, classical music is a "must have" in your music collection. This assumes, of course, that you attend classical concerts thereby giving you some reasonable benchmark upon which to judge.

Absent this reality check, I personally find this genre to be extremely engaging and "pure", absent the manipulation of the sonic event that is inherent in other types of recorded music.

GG

Gordon:

I couldn't agree with you more. I listen to a lot of rock and jazz, but have really started to enjoy classical a lot, but you and I are in the majority. Again, 99% of the classical listeners that have responded to our readers surveys have said they have no interest whatsoever in other music.

So we do our best to keep the rest amused and informed!

Hi Jeff,

GG

I too, like all forms of music. Moreover, I listen to it all in one session - one minute I'm listening to AC/DC, the next minute I'm listening to a Mozart flute solo........and that's just the normal stuff - just ask my wife when the central African tribal rhythms come out, or the Japanese drummers or Celitc jigs. I love it all!

I'm simple. ;)

I really like the price of course. The photography is second to none and as a photographer (published) I can appreciate it very much. As for the reason of the read...I like the reviews and the live reviews. I would also like to see it published more often but understand the daunting task. Overall, very well done!!!

Again, 99% of the classical listeners that have responded to our readers surveys have said they have no interest whatsoever in other music.

I would take a close look at the criteria and participation of that survey because my life experience tells me otherwise.

I am a huge classical fan, but that only comprises about 40% of my listening but a slightly larger portion of my music collection because I oftimes collect different recordings of the same work by different orchestras and conductors. I grew up on the New York Philharmonic and I was a heavy sponsor of the Florida Philharmonic before it's unfortunate demise a couple of years ago. I would attend about 75% of their seasonal schedule, and all their fundraising parties and got to know many, many of the classical "regulars" here in South Florida on a personal basis. Most had a wide variety of musical interests from Classical to Rock. I would routinely run into those same people at Pop, R&B and Jazz concerts but rarely at Rock Concerts because, at least as far as the various Rock concerts I have attended in my lifetime go, the bulk of the the people there were not there for the music but for the party.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back