What do you like/dislike about Tonepub magazine?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, I've talked to a couple people at Grammophone too and they said our data mirrors theirs.

If you enjoy classical music as well as other music (as do I) you are in the major minority. It's pretty much why none of the major music magazines ever try and cover it.

We tried and while we won't shut the door on it completely, it's just not something our readers are interested in. I think linking to Dan's site and giving him plenty of cross promotion will be good for everyone.

Hey, I'm starting to listen to opera, who would have ever seen that coming?

I have yet to read your mag because of the .pdf format. Do it in html with links. Much easier!

I have yet to read your mag because of the .pdf format. Do it in html with links. Much easier!

Sorry, that's not going to happen. We publish a magazine and we publish web content. And this appears that this is the trend that most major magazines are starting to take.

We prefer to work in an issue format. With a broadband connection it takes a minute to download. We can not produce a product that is as graphically rich as we do in a magazine format and that is part of what we do.

I don't understand why .pdf is a problem though. I like that it's in .pdf

Jeff, I also like the computer audiophile part now. I've been going back and reading through them now that I'm in the market....:D

I don't understand why .pdf is a problem though. I like that it's in .pdf

Jeff, I also like the computer audiophile part now. I've been going back and reading through them now that I'm in the market....:D

I'd rather be able to just click a link, without having to thumb through the entire mag to read what I want. I'll bet there are others who feel the same.

I'd rather be able to just click a link, without having to thumb through the entire mag to read what I want. I'll bet there are others who feel the same.

Yes, I understand but I do understand his reasoning.

Well considering it's free and the fact that you've never read it, you have no idea that you might not enjoy it.

Once you download the issue, everything is clickable from the Table of Contents.

And yes, there are people that would like us to be just a website, but that's not what we are interesting in producing. The web is not visually sophisticated enough yet and the bandwidth isn't there for us to produce something that looks the way we want it to look. And if we started making people download all kinds of plug ins for their browsers they would be squealing about that too.

TONE is as much about the visual experience as it is the content. If that doesn't matter to you, then we probably aren't for you.

Also, considering that we have a larger readership than TAS, Stereophile and HiFi + combined, I have to believe that we are on to something.

And as I said in an earlier post, we are going to increase the density of the website tremendously over the next 18-24 months, so there will be just as much to read online as offline, but it will all be different stuff.

Last but not least, even though many of our readers tell us that they read TONE cover to cover, I by no means expect that. I know that with other magazines (print) or digital, I pick them up because something on the cover intrigues me and if I read a couple articles I'm happy. Some of our readers only read it for the music, while others the gear and some only download an issue for a specific review.

But considering the cover price, I think it's a good deal for everyone.

We spent a lot of time deciding how the format would be and with the background that myself and the other principals have in the advertising and marketing worlds, we still feel that a magazine supported by web content is still the way to go to achieve what we are trying to do.

Well considering it's free and the fact that you've never read it, you have no idea that you might not enjoy it.

Once you download the issue, everything is clickable from the Table of Contents.

And yes, there are people that would like us to be just a website, but that's not what we are interesting in producing. The web is not visually sophisticated enough yet and the bandwidth isn't there for us to produce something that looks the way we want it to look. And if we started making people download all kinds of plug ins for their browsers they would be squealing about that too.

TONE is as much about the visual experience as it is the content. If that doesn't matter to you, then we probably aren't for you.

Also, considering that we have a larger readership than TAS, Stereophile and HiFi + combined, I have to believe that we are on to something.

And as I said in an earlier post, we are going to increase the density of the website tremendously over the next 18-24 months, so there will be just as much to read online as offline, but it will all be different stuff.

Last but not least, even though many of our readers tell us that they read TONE cover to cover, I by no means expect that. I know that with other magazines (print) or digital, I pick them up because something on the cover intrigues me and if I read a couple articles I'm happy. Some of our readers only read it for the music, while others the gear and some only download an issue for a specific review.

But considering the cover price, I think it's a good deal for everyone.

We spent a lot of time deciding how the format would be and with the background that myself and the other principals have in the advertising and marketing worlds, we still feel that a magazine supported by web content is still the way to go to achieve what we are trying to do.

When I read a mag, I hold it in my hands. When I go on the web, I want to click a link and NOT download an entire .pdf just to read what I want!

I like the equipment reviews and audiophile reviews alot. I even save them for to my harddrive so I can check them out months later. Great job, Jeff.
Jim

Hey guys thanks for the comments....

And thanks for reading, we do appreciate it.

More fun to come in 2009...

Definitely DON'T feel the same!! I hate links!! Nothing's worse than having to link to each individual article, and wait forever for each link to come up.

I'd rather one download and then I can read the whole thing at my leisure.

Of course, you can then print the required pages - in the syntax of 1-10, 30-32, etc.

But my previous request still holds that I'd rather something easier to print - that is, lower res and A4 format!

Back