What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very well recorded, this album has been used by many people to demonstrate the capabilities of their systems.

And rightly so... Coal Train is usually the Hugh track used. And it is amazing.

At the moment, though, I'm in the high fidelity first class travelling set, and I think I need a lear jet....

Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack

wild-things-soundtrack.jpg

Here is a wonderful CD by one of my favorite artist, the beautiful and very talented Carrie Rodriguez, on this disc she sings duets with Ben Kyle. This disc "We Still Love Our Country" they cover Townes Van Zandt, John Prine and Chip Taylor. Carrie plays fiddle and 4 string tenor guitar on this disc. The genre is Americana/Progressive country.

All of you Austin TX folks please check out one of Carrie's live shows in April at Threadgills!

Attachments

• 41Uv45NV54L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41Uv45NV54L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 188
Some wicked QBical 'Looped Ride' sent to me from a friend in Hungary on a vintage Sony UX-Pro cassette from a CD I assume but, Dang it sounds nice, very trance/techno spacial...Zooooooom :bowdown:

http://www.last.fm/music/QBical

His deck is a Sony TC-K81, playing on my Teac V8000S, just about as good as analog tape gets without being RtR IMHO :music:

Attachments

• !Teac V-8000S.1.jpg
    !Teac V-8000S.1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Nice Rack! :D

There's that sweet Marantz receiver too.

With that rig trance/techno spacial might sound good even without recreational hallucinogens.

Genre: Astonishing, Friday night treat.

Usher Be There Volume 1

You want the 2nd track - Jim Keltner - Improvisation. I admit it is 320KBps MP3 but it is good enough to do the job.

Subs at the ready. Volume on high. Get ready for some REAL speed, slam and dynamics.:eek::rocker:

Great drum kit recording by an obviously great drummer. You've heard it now? I told you it was good...:)

Air ~ 'Moon Safari' LP transfered to a That's CD/IIF tape, great for late night listening sessions :music:

Attachments

• ! air moon safari.jpg
    ! air moon safari.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 301
Genre: Astonishing, Friday night treat.

Usher Be There Volume 1

You want the 2nd track - Jim Keltner - Improvisation. I admit it is 320KBps MP3 but it is good enough to do the job.

Subs at the ready. Volume on high. Get ready for some REAL speed, slam and dynamics.:eek::rocker:

Great drum kit recording by an obviously great drummer. You've heard it now? I told you it was good...:)

I've heard this before........he's recorded that on Sheffield Lab. Not sure if this is a Sheffield Lab recording on this disc, but it is certainly not the same recording as the one I've got.

Cat Empire

The Cat Empire - Self Titled

Genre: What do I say - influences of just about everything here. If pressed, then I guess "Acid Jazz-Rock" might be 50% accurate?

Wow - I was "there" for this one. I had a weird dream.

I was really tired, and had a 'microsleep" in track 4 "The Chariot", and was having a dream that I was at the concert. I was enjoying the music, but also thinking how it sounded so fantastic, my stereo could never generate such realism. But here's the catch - I was thinking about my previous Audio Physic Tempos and Primare amp. Then I resolved consciousness and it still sounded just as great.

And for the rest of the album, I was content. I couldn't believe the sound I was getting.

Anyway, they're a great band, with some great musicians. Immensely enjoyed this.

Attachments

• The_Cat_Empire.jpg
    The_Cat_Empire.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I was really tired, and had a 'microsleep" in track 4 "The Chariot", and was having a dream that I was at the concert. I was enjoying the music, but also thinking how it sounded so fantastic, my stereo could never generate such realism. But here's the catch - I was thinking about my previous Audio Physic Tempos and Primare amp. Then I resolved consciousness and it still sounded just as great.
What were you smoking ? :)

I've heard this before........he's recorded that on Sheffield Lab. Not sure if this is a Sheffield Lab recording on this disc, but it is certainly not the same recording as the one I've got.

Actually I heard a 1980 copy on vinyl on this system this last weekend on this system: JVS's Wilson System 7 / Rowland / Oracle / Nagra / Scalford 2011 . Twas exactly the same as the Usher version, but Jim's Lyra Titan made it sound pretty damned good.:rocker:

If I find the time, I'll do a little report. Well, maybe. Loads of personally owned systems there.

Last edited:
Genre: Bluegrass

Picked up the latest effort (Paper Airplane) by 26 Grammy Award winner Alison Krauss & Union Station. Its been 7 years since the last AKUS release "Lonely Runs Both Ways" The label is Rounder Records.

Alison Krauss and Union Station features the talents of Krauss (fiddle and lead vocals), Dan Tyminski (guitar, mandolin and lead vocals), Barry Bales (bass and harmony vocals), Ron Block (banjo, guitar and harmony vocals), and Jerry Douglas (Dobro and harmony vocals).

"Paper Airplane" is quality AKUS with a very clean recording! Alison sounds great as always! The entire disc is great but a few standouts include: Lie Awake, My Love Follows You Where You Go and Lay My Burden Down.

Attachments

• 71RCzCDMaDL._AA300_.jpg
    71RCzCDMaDL._AA300_.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 226
Genre: Bluegrass

Picked up the latest effort (Paper Airplane) by 26 Grammy Award winner Alison Krauss & Union Station.

Ha! I just listened to this a couple of hours ago. Very nicely recorded. Alison has really slimmed down, while Jerry has put on a few pounds. :D Great musicianship, as always with this band.

Sara Haze

Great voice, good lyricist, nicely constructed album. While a few of the tunes are a bit too pop-centric for me, most are quite palatable. Her "Lovely" is just, well, lovely. And "Beautiful Day" is worth a listen as well.

If interested, her CD is on Ebay for $10. Or used on Amazon right now for $8.

Also, you can sample this release at her site: http://www.sarahaze.com/music

Oh and then there's the fact that she's crazy-hot ;)

Cheers

Attachments

• 1297345810_sara-haze.jpg
    1297345810_sara-haze.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 201
Genre: Folk/Americana/Bluegrass/Acoustic

This is the 2nd release for the multi-talented Sarah Jarosz on the Sugarhill label. This release has 11 songs (9 original and two covers).

Sarah plays guitar, clawhammer banjo and mandolin. Sarah has wonderful smooth voice and is a very gifted songwriter.

It's nice to hear good stuff from a young talented artist!

Attachments

• Sarah.jpg
    Sarah.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Listening to some great Goth Rock / Metal:
Tristania - The Widow's Weeds album
Voices of Masada - Another Day album
Golden Apes - Invidia

definitely worth checking out if you are into the more gothic side of things. Musically very good, and haunting deep male vocals (with some operatic femal vocals on Tristania thrown in for good measure!) If you like this kind of music, pm me for specific song titles and more bands, etc!!!

Genre: New Folk/Indie

Here is a great disc by Mumford & Sons a West London folk/indie quartet. The disc is "Sigh No More" released in February 2010 on the Glass Note label. They have great harmonies and melodies in their music. Great at creating a rhythm using an upright bass!

Attachments

• Mumford.jpg
    Mumford.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 127

Latest posts

Back