What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Lion Records, manufactured by ORG Music 45rpm album of Ben Webster, "Stormy Weather". Recorded live at the Montgomery Jazzhus, Copenhagen. This set also includes a 33&1/3rpm version of the album.

Blind Pig/Ripple Records vinyl release of "Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite", featuring Buddy Guy and Junior Wells with Bill Wyman, Pinetop Perkins, Terry Taylor and Dallas Taylor. This album was recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1974 and is a favorite of mine.

Steve (and all), I know you and I have passingly discussed Ryan Adams in the past, but do you have anything by Jason Isbell, formerly of Drive By Truckers? I saw a segment about him on the CBS Morning show yesterday and was intrigued. Apparently he and Ryan Adams are good friends, having toured together, and Adams and Isbell's wife Amanda Shires actually got him into rehab before he sort of emerged as a solo act after his split with DBT. Apparently his latest two albums "Southeastern" and "Something More Than Free" are both supposed to be phenomenal. I understand he's a favorite in the Austin area.

I think one of the guys in our 5one2audio group likes a recent CD of his, but I haven't heard him, yet. You're right, he's received some good reviews. I need to check out his music. Thanks.

"Art Tatum" A Columbia High Fidelity release from way back in the early 1950's. There is minor surface noise, in that it is not a dead silent background, but it doesn't intrude much at all. I think this release was 1953 and the dynamics and sound are superb, except for the slight background rustling. Maybe, when my Keith Monks arrives, I can clean some of it away. Right now, it's as good as I can get it with my VPI 16.5. The trio consists of Art (piano, as if you didn't know!), Everett Barksdale (guitar) and Slam Stewart (bass). The trio was recorded in December of '52, so I would have been ten months old! The solo pieces of Art and his piano were recorded in July and September of 1949.

Last edited:
Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra 256 kbps Internet audio stream Non-stop performances by the Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.
Great stuff

Jason Isbell, "Something More Than Free". A nice two record album from Southeastern Records. Very well done, no surface noise or sibilants. Came with a digital download, but I haven't downloaded it yet, so I don't know the resolution. Assorted love songs and other stories with some introspection. Music is sort of country, sort of folk, pleasant with some nice short duration guitar work.

Thanks for reminding me of him Tim. I picked up "Southeastern, too.

Now that I'm on to the second record of the set, he is sounding more and more like Ryan Adams. The song, "The Life You Chose" sounds just like a Ryan Adams song. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan didn't influence some of these songs, or at least their writing style.

Last edited:
Back