What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason Isbell, "Something More Than Free". A nice two record album from Southeastern Records. Very well done, no surface noise or sibilants. Came with a digital download, but I haven't downloaded it yet, so I don't know the resolution. Assorted love songs and other stories with some introspection. Music is sort of country, sort of folk, pleasant with some nice short duration guitar work.

Thanks for reminding me of him Tim. I picked up "Southeastern, too.

Now that I'm on to the second record of the set, he is sounding more and more like Ryan Adams. The song, "The Life You Chose" sounds just like a Ryan Adams song. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan didn't influence some of these songs, or at least their writing style.

Glad you are enjoying him Steve. On "Something More Than Free" there is a song called "Children of Children" that is pretty haunting and has some fabulous lyrics. It's about his mom having him when she was only 16 I think.

He and Ryan Adams are best friends and have toured together.

Speaking of Ryan Adams, I've been spending a LOT of time with his solo acoustic set "Live at Carnegie Hall" It's fantastic and a great recording too. I recommend it highly.

Glad you are enjoying him Steve. On "Something More Than Free" there is a song called "Children of Children" that is pretty haunting and has some fabulous lyrics. It's about his mom having him when she was only 16 I think.

He and Ryan Adams are best friends and have toured together.

Speaking of Ryan Adams, I've been spending a LOT of time with his solo acoustic set "Live at Carnegie Hall" It's fantastic and a great recording too. I recommend it highly.

Thanks, I'll have to pick that up, as I have a ton of Ryan's albums and enjoy most of them. I started out listening to "Something More Than Free" and it started out sorta country sounding and I wasn't sure I hadn't made a mistake buying both of his latest albums, but by the second song I started to like it and before the end of the album I had become a fan. It is really a good album.

Looking way deep into my record collection, I found this 1979 45RPM Angel Sonic Series album of Stravinsky's, "The Firebird" suite, performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and conducted byCarlo Maria Giulini. This record is startling in its dynamics. Wow! Silent surface, too. I've heard no more dynamic record than this one.

Since I'm on the wayback machine, I'm now enjoying the Keef Hartley Band, "Overdog". This piece of 1971 vinyl is from Deram/London Records. I be jammin'!

Putumayo Presents Women of Latin America.

I really enjoy listening to those Latinas sing!

Last edited:
I didn't know that Steve. Why don't you post the names of your favourite singers. Mine are on my system thread.

Bernard, I would have to go through my collection. I'm really bad with remembering names and I have so much music, I can't remember the names of the performers of half the music I listen to. For instance, just yesterday I listened to Mark Levine & The Latin Tinge, "Isla", but I had to go back a few posts to find the name, because I couldn't remember the artist's name!

Ryan Adams' Love Is Hell this morning while I'm getting ready for work. Great stuff. Digital through the Sonos. Lossless of course.

A buddy of mine told me to give this band a listen. they are called "Alt-J" and the album is called "An Awesome Wave".

220px-Alt-J_-_An_Awesome_Wave.jpg

Hard to put a label on them.. acapella at times.. pop at other times.. alternative too... with a little reggae mixed in. REALLY different and REALLY good! Me likey.

Back