What A Mistake

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, messed around with the placement while I was there never could get them to image right, But the sound still blew me away.

Joey,
You can always buy a house in my neighborhood. I promise I want drop by unannounced to often,maybe just 4 or 5 times a week. Or I could babysit your Summits when your on vacation.:D

WB - expound on the diffs between your Odysseys and the summits - I have an odyssey descent combo which always keeps me smiling....:haha1:

At that time JoeyV (yes ourt own Joey) had started a thread over at HTG forum about everybody's favorite $5K speaker system.Of course his was the Vantage!.. I had seen Joey around for quite awhile at Club Rotel so I knew he was not your typical Rotel flake. I took his comments about ML seriously enough to go back to SA and insist that they set the Summits up properly.

Thanks for the nice comments, Jerry! Hahahah!!

I'm glad you liked the Summits! I remember you voted for some other speaker at that time, but you went back and changed your vote for best $5K speaker to "Vantage" once you got your Summits! Hope your preamp hunt is going well and I hope you piece together an even better Summit based system!

WB - expound on the diffs between your Odysseys and the summits - I have an odyssey descent combo which always keeps me smiling....:haha1:
Timm,
I'm not exactly what you would call an audiophile, more like a person who loves music and owns some nice audio equipment. But I'll do my best.

I to own an Odyssey Descent setup, I keep the Descent low pass filter at 40hz,the phase set at 90 degrees the level at exactly half and the 25hz setting at +3db. I to am quite happy, when it comes to watching movies I haven't heard a better setup,although I'm sure their are plenty out there. I do all my music listening in 2 channel except when listening to Surround recordings which isn't all that often.

The Summits seemed to have a more open and airy sound than the Odysseys. The sound from the panels also seemed to disperse the sound out wider than the Odysseys. The Woofers seemed to integrate with the panels much better, In fact the bass seemed very deep,but less boomy. I probably haven't done a very good job explaining, But my ears could tell the difference and I'm not what you would call a critical listener.

The panels on Summit looked much wider than the ones on the Odyssey and lower to the ground as well,which may have something to do with it. The Summits were being driven by a Krell amplifier, Didn't get the model, Like I said I'm not what you would call a true audiophile.

Since listening to the Summits I've contemplated buying another Amp and Bi-amping the Odysseys figuring part of the success of the Summits might be do to all the power from your amp being used to drive the panels. It definatly would be less expensive than springing for the Summits.

The good news I was transferred today, so I won't have the temptation of a pair of Summits directly across the street.

Last edited:
Since listening to the Summits I've contemplated buying another Amp and Bi-amping the Odysseys figuring part of the success of the Summits might be do to all the power from your amp being used to drive the panels. It definatly would be less expensive than springing for the Summits.
Wayne,

Not sure if bi-amping would help as much as you hope. The difference is in the panel improvements, IMO. The Xstat panel is something special. Speaking of Vantages, which is all I can speak of since I do not have Summits but the same principles apply, the active woofer is nice, however it is the new panel which makes the real difference. With my previous Aeon-i rock music was not as much fun to listen to as it was via headphones. Not by a mile, even in 2.1 mode. With Vantages, I can and enjoy it, too. What sounded good on Aeons now has more air (same observation as you made), speed, and resolution in time and sound stage depth and width.

I also believe that any amp suitable to improve your Odysseys via bi-amping is not likely to be cheap.

If you can wait until the CLX are released, but have a bad upgrade thirst to quench right now, consider adding an "i" to your Descent, and perhaps get a second one, too.

Wayne,

Not sure if bi-amping would help as much as you hope. The difference is in the panel improvements, IMO. The Xstat panel is something special. Speaking of Vantages, which is all I can speak of since I do not have Summits but the same principles apply, the active woofer is nice, however it is the new panel which makes the real difference. With my previous Aeon-i rock music was not as much fun to listen to as it was via headphones. Not by a mile, even in 2.1 mode. With Vantages, I can and enjoy it, too. What sounded good on Aeons now has more air (same observation as you made), speed, and resolution in time and sound stage depth and width.

I also believe that any amp suitable to improve your Odysseys via bi-amping is not likely to be cheap.

If you can wait until the CLX are released, but have a bad upgrade thirst to quench right now, consider adding an "i" to your Descent, and perhaps get a second one, too.
Ralf,
Thanks for the imput, I've decided I'm going to sit tight for a while and start a secret Summit fund like Robins got going. Perhaps in a year I'll be able to spring for a pair!!!

Secret Summit Fund; I like that. :) Summ it up, baby!

One year may sound like a long time, but the older I get the shorter a year feels - what, 2007 already ??! - and it is said that good things come to those who can wait.

For instance, CLXes. If the rumors are substantiated, these and dual subs will be the best way to go.

Ralf,
Thanks for the imput, I've decided I'm going to sit tight for a while and start a secret Summit fund like Robins got going. Perhaps in a year I'll be able to spring for a pair!!!

good idea Wayne, I've got mine going as well, in one of those 5 gallon water cooler jugs. All nickels, dimes and quarters. I got if half full once = $2000 plus! Maybe if I get it to the top this time I could sell my Vantage's and afford Summitt's or CLX's and a Descent !

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get a bit unconfortable about the CLX. Let me explain that. There's an old saying in my mothertongue that goes like this: "never go to the praised fruit tree with an empty sack". What I mean is, lately we all got quite excited about what ML might come up with, mainly CLX. But now I'm thinking: "what if we are all disappointed by these newcomers, be it sound, be it price" ? Some time ago I wrote myself somewhere in the forum that waiting to see the new ML's might be a good idea, because it 1) could reduce prices on the already existing range, summits included, and 2) the new ones might be so overwhelming that having bought an "old" model could bring a sad feeling. But now, thinking about it, thinking about how early adopters get mostly screwed by v 1.0 of everything, I'm feeling less sure about my hopes and ideas. We all hope for a "reachable" standard (statements were not reachable, let's be sincere)... but if this new ideal fails to deliver, we're quite screwed, ain't we ? Just a thought...

We all hope for a "reachable" standard (statements were not reachable, let's be sincere)... but if this new ideal fails to deliver, we're quite screwed, ain't we ? Just a thought...

Not at all, its not like were listening to B(l)ose in the interim, is it. A little delayed gratification is a good thing sometimes and even if the CLX doesn't pan out than there are still other speakers out there that will garner our attention.

I'm hoping the CLX will be like a double width, 6ft tall Summit style panel. Picture that in your (my) listening room!

Not at all, its not like were listening to B(l)ose in the interim, is it. A little delayed gratification is a good thing sometimes and even if the CLX doesn't pan out than there are still other speakers out there that will garner our attention.

I'm hoping the CLX will be like a double width, 6ft tall Summit style panel. Picture that in your (my) listening room!

I suspect it will be about double wide, but probably not 6' tall...you never know though. Depends on where they want to price it. If they want to put it in the $12k to $15k range, then it might be that tall. If they want it like the CLS's it will be an $8k speaker and probably not be that big.

Stuart and Mark at my local ML Hi-Fi store said that they look for a $20kish ML speaker sometime next year... Maybe that will be more of a mini Statement.

Stuart and Mark at my local ML Hi-Fi store said that they look for a $20kish ML speaker sometime next year... Maybe that will be more of a mini Statement.

Need.... more.... time... to... save....

:sad:

PS-I did end up walking out of that store about $2K poorer with a TT under my wifes arm though!!:D

COOL !!!! What did you get ???
Got a Rega P5 with the Exact cart. Sure am enjoying that baby, analog rules!!

That's without good equipment, right? With the right equipment... i.e. tubes in the system somewhere and good upstream, the Summits are another beast. The Summits I have now are not the same as the Summits I had when I had the entry level Rotels of yesteryear.... not even in the same league.

Nope, they had fantastic equipment on them. Top of the line stuff. I'm sure they do sound better than the Odyssey's but they don't sound that much better, especially if the Odysseys are done up right.

John

Nope, they had fantastic equipment on them. Top of the line stuff. I'm sure they do sound better than the Odyssey's but they don't sound that much better, especially if the Odysseys are done up right.

John

Totally concur. Prodigy are even closer, but take up a lot more room and might not have the asthetics that everyone likes these days...

Joey, I think they were running the Summit's with ARC stuff...not the top of the line, but mid grade ARC stuff.

Got a Rega P5 with the Exact cart. Sure am enjoying that baby, analog rules!!John

John, Congrats on the new Rega, nice table indeed ! I agree, nothing like 'black pizza' !!

Made same mistake as Wayne

I heard the Summits, last Sunday when Martin Logan demoed at the Chicago Audio Society. I now auditoning a set. So much for the annual bonus. They really sound much better :musicnote: than my Vistas even given my room limitaion (11 x 14 feet).

If you can't afford them I would not listen to the Summits, Once you do you just have to have them.

Joeyitist has struck again:eek: (Someone really needs to start researching a cure)

I heard the Summits, last Sunday when Martin Logan demoed at the Chicago Audio Society. I now auditoning a set. So much for the annual bonus. They really sound much better :musicnote: than my Vistas even given my room limitaion (11 x 14 feet).

If you can't afford them I would not listen to the Summits, Once you do you just have to have them.

Joeyitist has struck again:eek: (Someone really needs to start researching a cure)

Burke,
I to attended the meeting, decided to go at the last minute. Listening environment wasn't the best and the meeting was quite crowded, I'm guessing about 40 people.Thought it was odd that after the first couple of songs about half the members retired to the other room, But hey that gave the rest of us better listening positions. I was able to find some new music at the meeting so the one way hour drive was worth it. Someone played a Jeff Beck track I was unfamilar with, ordered the cd from Amazon.com should recieve soon.

Gotta Love The Summits -- Someday Someday.....

No known cure for Joeyitis, unless you consider death a cure!!!:D

Awesome! I wish I attended the meeting! In what ways do you think the Summits are better than the Vistas? I'm very much in the camp that the Summits are better sounding, regardless of room size, and you're evidence of that. The Summit's bass module can really take a hold of an 11x14 room and charge it, cant it?

:D

Joey

Burke,
I to attended the meeting, decided to go at the last minute. Listening environment wasn't the best and the meeting was quite crowded, I'm guessing about 40 people.Thought it was odd that after the first couple of songs about half the members retired to the other room, But hey that gave the rest of us better listening positions. I was able to find some new music at the meeting so the one way hour drive was worth it. Someone played a Jeff Beck track I was unfamilar with, ordered the cd from Amazon.com should recieve soon.

Gotta Love The Summits -- Someday Someday.....

No known cure for Joeyitis, unless you consider death a cure!!!:D

People retiring to another room is always a good thing.... more personal listening time for you! Besides, these audio clubs are more for chit-chatting than listening I feel.

Someday.... you can purchase mine for a really good price, Wayne! I mean, you gotta keep Joeyitis alive in me, right? :)

Joey

Back