Watch Connoisseur Thread Part 2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I refuse to pay that much money for something every second person has.

Oh please Amey....you're being a drama queen ! To those of us that know and understand the beauty of a mechanically crafted time piece it goes way beyond that.

Myself, I bought my GMT Master with the couple of bucks I got when my Grandfather passed back in '96, now every time I look and wear that watch the great memories I have of him come flooding back.

To own and or wear a watch just for the sake of being 'unique' is rather shallow, IMO.

Rightly or wrongly, that's one of the main reason why I choose the watches I do. And the reason why I would never have a Tag Heuer, Rolex, Rado, et al.

I refuse to pay that much money for something every second person has.

Ditto, that's why I own the watch brands I do, cause I don't see a lot of people wearing them. I totally understand people buying Rolex and Panerai for their resale value, but like fine art I buy it because I like it not for the hope that someone else will like it later.

Oh please Amey....you're being a drama queen ! To those of us that know and understand the beauty of a mechanically crafted time piece it goes way beyond that.

Myself, I bought my GMT Master with the couple of bucks I got when my Grandfather passed back in '96, now every time I look and wear that watch the great memories I have of him come flooding back.

To own and or wear a watch just for the sake of being 'unique' is rather shallow, IMO.

Twich,

I thought of you the other day when I saw the new Hamilton Railroad watch. As you are probably aware Hamilton pocket watches were used by railroad men to keep the trains on time. As a tip to their heritage they have created a wrist watch to emulate their pocket watches. The face is available in a 44mm and a huge 46mm.

Ditto, that's why I own the watch brands I do, cause I don't see a lot of people wearing them. I totally understand people buying Rolex and Panerai for their resale value, but like fine art I buy it because I like it not for the hope that someone else will like it later.

Not many lay people have Panerais. In fact, I've only had 1 person who noted my Pam.

Some more of my Milgauss GV... love this unique Rolex. Green crystal, lightning second hand. Love it.

That is actually the exact watch that I was shopping not long ago! I love the green crystal, it is a good touch.

I would love to pick up a B&R, but my wrist is way too small for those faces.

That is actually the exact watch that I was shopping not long ago! I love the green crystal, it is a good touch.

I would love to pick up a B&R, but my wrist is way too small for those faces.

I think you'd find the 42mm BR to be perfect for you. The BR01 are big, but the BR03 are very doable with normal size wrists. You should check them out. Not too bad of a price in the used market either.

Are there any good sites for used watches? I've never really shopped them used.

Are there any good sites for used watches? I've never really shopped them used.
Usually I go where the forums are... I prefer buying from users on those sites rather than on online websites.

Kind of like buying speakers/audio equipment from MLO or audiogon.

Reliable people for the most part.

www.rolexforums.com (great for Rolex and Panerai, I'm most active here)
www.watchuseek.com (great for most other stuff, I'm not so active here because the forums are so segregated, much like audioholics)
www.timezone.com (I don't really go on this site, but they have the most selection in the for sale section)

Not many lay people have Panerais. In fact, I've only had 1 person who noted my Pam.

Joey,

Did you every consider you're not hanging with the right crowds.

Just so happens that I see Panerais all over the place when one of my non-watch clubs get together.

Seems like easily more than half the members have Panerai or Perregaux and we have over 5000 members in the US alone.

In fact I got one with the last car I bought.

Don't make me post pics though......I certainly don't want anyone to call me elated.....or whatever they call ya.:D

Joey,

Just so happens that I see Panerais all over the place when one of my non-watch clubs get together.

Seems like easily more than half the members have Panerai or Perregaux and we have over 5000 members in the US alone.

Don't make me post pics though......I certainly don't want anyone to call me elated.....or whatever they call ya.:D

Perhaps your crowd is more high end that my crowd. I've given up on trying to be different through material things and I just get what I like... I just try to take into account what the watches resell for because I don't like dumping money into a blackhole.

Joey,

A few years ago when Panerai really got hot and became a huge status symbol, a lot of the guys I worked with used their annual bonus to buy them. I run into a lot of doctors that have them as well. My fear would be that I would scratch that huge crystal face as soon as I got it.

Perhaps your crowd is more high end that my crowd. I've given up on trying to be different through material things and I just get what I like... I just try to take into account what the watches resell for because I don't like dumping money into a blackhole.

I understand, but you misunderstood my post.

The really cool thing about the Panerai or Perregaux IMO, as nice as they are, is that it is definitely not about public perception at least not like a Rolex.

Just about everyone knows about Rolex, what they stand for and that they are one of the most expensive watches on the planet. And that is what people think when they see one in public, they can't help it. Oh yeah and they think a couple other things sometimes too.:)

But in general, the general public does not know what a Panerai or Perregaux watch is or costs, nor do they care. When and if they see one, they make no comment or think anything other than, "Nice Watch", if even that.

It is truly a watch that you buy because you like it and you appreciate it.

Also in the club that I am referring too, they have the watches solely because they match their car or because they have F1 team significance, or just because they like them.

Many have the watch just because of the logo, the F logo and nothing more.

The FCA is an interesting club, because you have every thing from 20K 308s to 35 million dollar GTOs, if you try to flex your status symbol, there is always someone close by that can give you a taste of humble pie and it isn’t his car or his watch that does it.

...if you try to flex your status symbol, there is always someone close by that can give you a taste of humble pie and it isn’t his car or his watch that does it.

For sure man! LOL! That's always nice, humble pie...

Back