Vista feet on my hardwood

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALB

Reaction score
My vistas came with some smooth metal feet on them. Are these good enough not to scratch hardwood as is or should I put felt on them ran out of that size?
Or should I use the supplied spikes with some sort of thing under the spikes to protect the floor?

Welcome!

I believe some of the users here use hockey pucks to put between the spikes and the wood floor and I think they are fairly cheap.

Welcome to the forum. Some here would likely recommend spikes placed on specialized discs (with point depression in the center of each disc to accept the spikes). Others would suggest spikes, but use hockey pucks instead of the specialized discs.

Personally I am a fan of the Hockey pucks. If you do it though just take a drill and make a small indent for the spikes.

Went to Canadian tire and got some felt things that are on plastic cups and put them over the existing smooth metal feet.I think the smooth metal feet would be fine too but whatever.I may try spikes bit later maybe with hockey pucks or whatever and might have my speakers on area rug then guess could use spikes.
I got my speakers fired up for first time today and read they need some break in to really shine but I can say that even with my current so so equipment on them they are truly amazing and one of the finest speakers I have ever heard or owned. And I have been into high end audio for many many years. They remind me a lot of my RS2b maybe not quite as dynamic but haven't played them that loud yet. They are very clear just can't say in words how great they sound.I am running just a single old Adcom 555 amp, older matching adcom pre/tuner. Am running a dbx eq in there high end one from back around 1990. Have some reasonable monster wire and interconnects and just a piece of crap 100 buck sony cd player that has to be 20 years old as well. And they still sound amazing!
Planning on going to a better cd player in near future thinking arcam maybe bryston cd player.
Now wondering how these will sound with a nice martin logan sub and maybe a second matching adcom amp. I know of course the sky is the limit with this stuff and can't go too overboard.I have other hobbies that eat up a lot of my money like cars but right now pretty happy with these speakers. Can only imagine how sweet the higher end models are.
I had electrostats back in the day Dayton Wright one of the first ones in the 70s. They sounded great and were full range no woofers. Pricey for back then and hard loads and not super reliable but great sound. Of course new tech are light years ahead.Sorry to go off topic. But back on topic would the smooth metal feet shipped on the vistas be fine on the hardwood as is or was felt overkill? Course now with them likely going to be on the area rug that point is pretty much moot.
And never used spikes before.If do spike them with the supplied spikes on area rug do I need to still put something under the spikes to stop them from going thru the carpet?

I use these.
101030a.jpg
2$ each.

Hmm think order those cheap things above and go to the spikes. Since going to be on carpet pretty sure now anyway.

If you are on carpet, you need the spike to pierce the carpet down to the sub-floor.

If on hardwood, I'd go with spikes into the hocky pucks.

It's all about minimizing speaker induced vibration and your speaker being firmly coupled to something to allow the speaker to perform at an optimum level.

GG

Congrats on the Vista's.
I have mine spiked and use aluminum floor protectors. Can't remember what kind but got them form the UK. You do want the solid connection with the floor and yes, it does make a difference. Not sure of the hockey puck idea as I like a nice clean look (check out my system picture.. you can see the Vista's are raised an inch or so and they look like they're floating. Really can't see the spikes or the protectors)
You may eventually want to add a sub, especially for movies. I've got the Grotto-i with my Vista's. After watching the ML video on sub setup, I'm quite pleased with the overall sound.

Bit off topic again but is it a huge difference going to a better cd player maybe like a arcam c17 which was thinking to maybe get. I have the cheapest 20 year old sony on the system now. Today for some reason the speakers were not overly impressing me like they did first day. Later tonite though they seemed to sound better.
Also think they sound pretty good at lower volumes than many speakers that drop out really bad low. I did read the woofers need some time to break in.And have to play with positioning the spike thing and not expecting much until get better cd. I don't listen to any vinyl. Always hated records. static,scratches and all that .

Also wondering how much adding second power amp and biamping or running mono ,one per speaker would help. I have not clipped out the amp yet. No clipping lights lighting up. Don't feel the need to really push these speakers have louder ones at home for that.And blast ears out in the cars.

So should they get a lot nicer in the bass after 72 or so like the book says? and when they say two feet from back wall is that from front of panel or talking just foot from wall since panel is like foot in front of back of cabinet. Bit confused on what they exactly meant. My room right now is also not really furished much at all. No couch,loveseat just couple of chairs and area rug on the hardwood. So what is better to keep the speakers on the hardwood or to put area rug under them.Way rug is in room more sense to put the rug under them ,then maybe use the spikes.

Using spikes here on various amounts of enclycopedias to test how much more vertical height
I like before getting something made of stone or wood, then spikes under that too.

Back