Vinyl vs Cd; or why I need to spend more!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did buy something.

I appreciate all your help in the past, but I don't really appreciate your tone in this post.

A few thousand dollars IS "a big deal" to me. I'm not fortunate enough to have tons of stereo stuff thrown at me for evaluation like some people do...So instead I ask a TON of questions - buyer beware. And I don't want to purchase in a low quality range, just to have to upgrade later and loose $$ by selling the old stuff at a loss. I want to buy something good and then just be done with - something I can have for the rest of my life. What the heck is wrong with asking so many questions?? And in the meantime, I DO listen to music - i have FM and CD, is that ok with you? Yeah i could have bought used, but what i wanted at that lower price was not available and then how can i "buy something" already? And why the heck should price on vinyl make a difference? As soon as you buy that 200gm $30 LP, its already used and the price drops. Does that make your LP sound like crud??

I don't post often; it's usually when I'm wanting to purchase something or have issues (selfish, huh? or maybe I'm just don't know enough to help like some people)... I usually don't post much (compare our Join Dates and Number of Posts) because I'm usually listening to music or doing my other hobbies, but in my above post I thought i could repay a bit by contributing some of my thoughts...back to listening to vinyl...See you guys (no offense Tom and you other great folks!) in a few years...

Oh, and sorry for "panicking" :rolleyes:

Well, maybe "some people" got tired of the indecision. While I'm sure the other "great folks" enjoyed it tremendously.

:ROFL:

Interesting that you say that. I had a young lad (25yo) over a couple of weeks ago for a listening session. I first played some CDs on my PrimaLuna, and he liked the sound. Then I played some vinyl on my VPI HW19 Mk IV/JMW/Koetsu Rosewood; his face lit up and he said "YES!". After playing some vinyl for a while (we were listening to music, not doing any evaluation) I switched back to CD. After a couple of tracks he told me he was missing the vinyl, so we listened to vinyl for the rest of the session.

Make that x2

I had that very experience just the other weekend when I invited some friends over and these guy are not audiophiles or whatever you want to call it. after listening to some vinyl we shortly switched to a cd the sound was so much less involving and fun we quickly switched back they really preferred the analog describing it as filling the room with sound rather than just hearing it come from the speakers. and I only have a less than $1,000.00 dollar investment in my TT.

I had that very experience just the other weekend when I invited some friends over and these guy are not audiophiles or whatever you want to call it. after listening to some vinyl we shortly switched to a cd the sound was so much less involving and fun we quickly switched back they really preferred the analog describing it as filling the room with sound rather than just hearing it come from the speakers. and I only have a less than $1,000.00 dollar investment in my TT.
Good description, although I tend to think of analog as more relaxed and natural sounding. A friend who isn't into ESLs was in town recently came by for a listen and found the digital very non-digital sounding, but then the vinyl went on... Toe-tapping, involvement, and fun is where it's at, and clearly you get that.

The matter of rumble can be more an issue of the 'table itself and what it sits on, although proper alignment helps. Light and rigid can work well if done with care, otherwise the mass approach may be easier.

Please guys.

I think we've beaten this to death.

Gordon

Well,

I guess it did morph into the never ending, meaningless circular argument.

Reminds me of the commercial, LESS FILLING / TASTES GREAT.

And yes Brian and others who claim the contrary, I find music produced by my CDP / System to be very engaging with lots of toe tapping, etc. And yes, it is fun to boot.

It's all about enjoying the music regardless of the hardware right?

If you like analogue, fine. If you like digital, fine.

Can't we agree and just leave it there.

As with most things audio, there is no right answer.

GG

Last edited:
I agree with Gordon. I love analog, but am very happy with digital. And I'm really tired of the analog snobbery that always suggests that you can't possibly be enjoying music if you only listen to digital.

Again, I love analog, but it's a pain. I've done it all my life but it's still a pain.

And I've got too many records to walk away.

When the planets line up with the perfect recording, I can hear more, but I'm pretty darn happy listening to digital too.

It's like having kids. I love my daughter, but I don't think less of people who haven't bothered to reproduce!

but I don't think less of people who haven't bothered to reproduce!
I learned to use condoms at an early age and never looked back.:D

I switch back an forth between LP and CD all the time, love them both.

I've found that when I improve the turntable playback that at least 50% of the time it improves the CD playback too.

Acoustics are funny that way.

I've found that when I improve the turntable playback that at least 50% of the time it improves the CD playback too.

Acoustics are funny that way.

So how does improving LP playback effect digital playback? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Jeff,

I assume George is talking about speaker adjustments and other items that are not related to a specific source.

GG

So how does improving LP playback effect digital playback? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Resonance.

When I get to improving the sound of my source (turntable) I can play with the resonance.

I end up going back to the speakers to adjust resonance (something under foot/spike), the CD playback chain also reeks the benefits.

Back