Vantage/Vista SQ

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly

Reaction score
Trying to help a friend,and had a question I couldn't answer:

Would the SQ from a vantage (with it's built-in amp), and a receiver,
or separate amp, sound better/worse/equal to a vista that was bi-amped?

There is no local source to listen to both.

Thanks!

Dennis
:music:

Trying to help a friend,and had a question I couldn't answer:

Would the SQ from a vantage (with it's built-in amp), and a receiver,
or separate amp, sound better/worse/equal to a vista that was bi-amped?

There is no local source to listen to both.

Thanks!

Dennis
Hola Dennis... If I have to choose, I will go for the Vantages. First, because of their high sensitivity, they allow us to use a wide amplifier posibilities. You can drive them with 50W-ch up to 300W-ch. You can drive them with tubes or SS. With the +-10dB control at 25Hz, makes this option to "tune" your bass for the proper amount of low frequency information at your seat, and you do not have to worry about the power of your amp for low frequency...it will drive only the stat panels mostly. They are crystal clear and you can tell the quality of your goods and cables. They also have a very nice stage. Tons of air between instrument(s), and also very precise with the size of the instrument(s). Voices are super great. Listen Andrea Boccelli "Live in Tuscani" singing along with several great female singers, like Vivere, with Laura Pausini or "Canto Della Terra" with Sarah Brightman. Also, the trumpet player Chris Botti in "Italia" and Kenny G in "A Te" can show a nice wide and depth stage. This is my liking... and I assure you that you will be very proud with the Vantages. Of course, the Vista is also a great speaker, but the Vantages are a step ahead to them to my ears. You can listen Sting in Berling, and you can tell how great this recording is... happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto,

Excellent analysis, the local Big Box store had the vantage. I knew you
guys could help. Sounds like the vantage is the better option.

I am still considering tubes for my reQuests, so naturally I'm wondering if
tubes would work well with the vantages. If so, how much power would be adequate? My friend's room is 12'x14'. Music-80%, HT-20%?

Dennis

Roberto,

Excellent analysis, the local Big Box store had the vantage. I knew you
guys could help. Sounds like the vantage is the better option.

I am still considering tubes for my reQuests, so naturally I'm wondering if
tubes would work well with the vantages. If so, how much power would be adequate? My friend's room is 12'x14'. Music-80%, HT-20%?

Dennis

Hola Dennis...it depends a lot of how loud he likes the music. But keep in mind this: at one meter of distance, feeding only one watt, you have 93dBs. I did measure once here at our National Theatre, with Beethoven 9th symphony, having over 100 musicians playing and the choir singing at the same time, on the 3rd row from my portable SPLM not over 93dBs!!! The musicians were only at 5 meters away from me. I am a tube fan. 50W-ch is enough for a small to mid size room. I love tubes, but this does not mean that SS is not fine too. Of course there are a lot of super nice sounding SS amplifiers. But if you like tubes, Cary Audio, Conrad Johnson, VTL, Prima Luna, Audio Research to name a few. I am a Conrad Johnson and Audio Research user. Both are nice amplifiers, but they do things different, so depends on my mood, or the type of music I want to listen. For classical music, CJ...for jazz I use ARC. This is my liking, but trust your ears and choose the one you liked most. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto,

Thanks. That will give us a start.

" Is the journey or the destination more enjoyable?"

Dennis

" Is the journey or the destination more enjoyable?"

Welcome aboard Hillbilly..
The journey never ends and the destination keeps changing.
When you've spent enough time on this forum, you will learn of 'Joey Upgraditis'.

So enjoy both the journey and the stopovers.

Last edited:
According to the specs...

Frequency response:
Vista: 43-23Khz
Vantage: 34-23Khz

Just based on that, I would imagine the Vantage to be better

*edit*

Better in terms of dynamic range and low end. This is also assuming the woofer amp in the vantage is as good as whatever is powering the vista woofer.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Hillbilly..
The journey never ends and the destination keeps changing.
When you've spent enough time on this forum, you will learn of 'Joey Ungraditis'.

So enjoy both the journey and the stopovers.

"Joey Upgraditis"---guess there's no cure for this?

Mark, your system, and path to get to where you are, is commendable!

Dennis

Hello,
I have had my Vantages for around 3 Years and still cannot be happier with them. In some ways, I really do feel it to be a forgotten Speaker on this Forum.

That being said, several of the Professional Reviews found that the gap between the Vantage and the Summit to be nowhere near the difference in price.

I also own a pair of Vistas that I alternate between use as Surrounds in my HT with Montages being the other Speaker in a 2 Channel setup. I really do like the Vista, but there is something special about the Vantage to me.
Cheers,
JJ

Back