used bookshelf speakers under $1k

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of used bookshelf speakers to use in the living room of my new house. These will not replace the ML's, which will finally have a room of their very own! Any serious listening sessions will be done there. However, I'd like something nice for the livingroom, since that is where my wife and I will hang out, drink wine, and have a fire in the winter.

I remember really liking the Dynaudio Contour towers when auditioning speakers a few years back, so I've been looking for some Contour 1.4's (the bookshelf version of the Contours). Anything else anyone might suggest considering in this environment?

A little more info, can't do towers, need something unobtrusive and less directional than ML's.

I am looking for a pair of used bookshelf speakers to use in the living room of my new house. These will not replace the ML's, which will finally have a room of their very own! Any serious listening sessions will be done there. However, I'd like something nice for the livingroom, since that is where my wife and I will hang out, drink wine, and have a fire in the winter.

I remember really liking the Dynaudio Contour towers when auditioning speakers a few years back, so I've been looking for some Contour 1.4's (the bookshelf version of the Contours). Anything else anyone might suggest considering in this environment?

A little more info, can't do towers, need something unobtrusive and less directional than ML's.

I read a good review in one of the mags late last fall that the Sterling speakers were REALLY good and they looked to be QUITE small and fairly inexpensive, if you can find a used set I bet they would be less than $1k...

SF Concertinos Domus would be a good buy, not sure if you could find it for under $1K used though.

Also, I would suggest the AV123 Onix Reference 1, now for $599 instead of the $1500 they used to charge for them.

Steve,

This is definitely an arena I have played in for years. Not knowing your tastes beyond your obvious attraction to electrostatic speakers, here would be my top three suggestions (in no particular order);

Dynaudio Focus 110

The Focus series is Dynaudio’s first loss-leader product and packs one hell of a wallop for your hard earned coin. Despite their inefficient rating, they don’t require much power to sing but can respond very well with loads of current. They have exceptional imaging, mid-range with tout bass response for their size. They are truly a jack of all trades speaker, doing everything very well and doing nothing wrong (within their physical limitations). Made by a legend; everything done ‘en house’ ; they are a great deal at full bore retail. On the used market (just below the 1k mark), they are a steal.

Totem Acoustic Rainmaker

Vince built the Rainmaker to satisfy the need to create a higher end cinema line that could also hold a tune. The Rainmaker is not the most accurate speaker in terms of an even FR response, but they are chalk full of ‘timbre’ and can capture the essence of the music exceptionally well. They are beautiful to look at and can sound surprisingly full for their size. Like the Danes, they are exceptionally versatile speakers and can handle any genre of music with aplomb. True to Totem; timbre is their strong point. They are award winning speakers made by our friends up north.

Stone Image Audio Rothschilde A2

If you love Logans, you will love the A2. I had a Prodigy owner listen to these and he was floored by what these particular little two way monitors could achieve. The owner of the company once ran the large Logan CLS panels so you know what to expect from these monitors. Extreme speed, imaging, coherency, and versatility with exceptional low level listening capabilities… these could be the last small monitors you ever buy. The major caveat is that they are a small group and do not carry a strong name in the industry. They retail for $1335 a pair. I’m selling my personal pair for $600. This isn’t an ad, but considering the forum and this thread – I feel it is worth mention as the situation applies.

Just for references, here is the past few affordable monitors I've become very familiar with within your stated price-point (used and new);

Dynaudio Contour 1.1
Spendor 5S/E
Totem Acoustic Model 1
Totem Acoustic Mite
Linn Katan
Revel M22
Meadowlark Swallow
Sonus Faber Concertino
Green Mountain Audio Europa
Audio Note Ax-Two
Von Schweikert VR-1
Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Mini
Raw Acoustics HT-1
Polk Audio LSi-7
Polk Audio LSi-9
Onix XLS
Norh 5.1
Paradigm Studio 40
Paradigm Signature 2
NHT SB-3

*whew* I need a new hobby

I also forgot to mention the ACI Sapphire XL (in matte black) also goes for right at, and slightly under 1g used. They are exceptional speakers that, to coin the phrase "play music". You will quickly discard all your audiophile senses and get lost into the music. They have great bass-output that will have many _not_ wanting for a sub to accompany the bottom end.

Joey - the Domus series hasn't been a major success for Sumiko/Sonus Faber. Its a pretty speaker, but their sound is just OK. Aw hell, I feel the same way about the Ref 1 (ok well, the Ref 1.5 to be precise). But they sure are pretty to look at!!

As for Mac, yeah man I know - Im trying. SOME of us don't have McIntosh money falling into our laps every month! :p :)

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention the ACI Sapphire XL (in matte black) also goes for right at, and slightly under 1g used. They are exceptional speakers that, to coin the phrase "play music". You will quickly discard all your audiophile senses and get lost into the music. They have great bass-output that will have many _not_ wanting for a sub to accompany the bottom end.

Zero, I agree with this recommendation whole heartedly. I heard them at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last fall and was blown away by them, especially for the price. The picture doesn't do them justice and the build quality is superb. I've thought about getting some for an office system.

I'm also partial to the Totems you mentioned, and, with the right ancillary equipment and music I have always liked the B&W Nautilus 805's.

I have a set of Gallo Acoustic's Mini's that make a very decent 5.1 system in my living room. If you want something that disappears both sonically and visually I recommend them highly. They are about the size of a softball and sound amazing when paired with a small sub.

Attachments

• ACI01.jpg
    ACI01.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
I'm also partial to the Totems you mentioned, and, with the right ancillary equipment and music I have always liked the B&W Nautilus 805's.

MITT, we must be cousins or something. These were the first speaker I was going to mention when I saw this post (805's). The only problem is finding them for under $1500.

The other suggestion I could make would be Monitor Audio. If I remember correctly they are made in England. I heard them once with a Cary integrated, Marantz cd player and Nordost cables. I was astonished, and to make it even better they were well under $1000 for the pair.

Wow, some great suggestions. I'll have to do some research on some of these. Since these will be in the livingroom, aesthetics are definately a factor as well. I plan to drive them with a Sonos unit, one of the ones with a built in amps, if I can get away with it. I've read that the built in amp actually does fairly well. I'm not planning on cranking this system, so I don't need something loud. It will be used mostly for background and subtle foreground music. I'm more interested in the subtleties and accuracy, than in your face loud and/or bassy sounding speakers.

I'll take a deeper dive into these suggestions when I have some time tomorrow. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

I'm kinda partial to Omnipolars ... If I was doing whole house audio I'd consider them unless of course I could afford Passages or Tickets :)

For your tastes, I would highly encourage looking into the Rothschilde A2's. The most info you can find on them will be at Affordable Audio under a review I posted. I know, it is self promoting, but at the very least it will give you more of a clue on what these speakers (and the Aci Sapphire XL's for that matter) are about and where both designers are coming from.

http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2007-02.pdf
Page 29

The Totem Acoustic Rainmakers and Raw Acoustics HT-1's are excellent for low level listening as well and are both aesthetically pleasing (to these eyes at least). I can post pictures if you'd like.. (and if I can find em).

another couple that caught my eye while browsing audiogon ads were Vienna Acoustics Hadyn and Quad 11L. In particular, reading the description of the Quad's make them sound very similar in philosophy to Logans. Anyone heard them and have an opinion?

Zero, I can't get to your link or find any information online on the Rothschilde's. Are they still around and do they have a web site? Any pics?

Steve,

The Vienna Haydn is a great speaker - dare I say even better than the current Haydn grand. But it wont hold a candle to the Dynaudio Focus 110, let alone the others listed above.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing the Quad 11L, but its reputation seems solid and performance reports appear consistent.

Try this link instead;

www.affordableaudio.org

click Feb. Issue.. and scroll to page 29

Stone Image Audio is alive and well;

http://stoneimage-audio.com/Index_2.htm

I think my pics are much better than his.... so let me try and post something here..

Attachments

• SIA Rothschilde A2 - 01.JPG
    SIA Rothschilde A2 - 01.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 497
And heres a few shots of the ACI Sapphire XL's...

Attachments

• ACI Sapphire XL Outdoor View small.jpg
    ACI Sapphire XL Outdoor View small.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 551

Attachments

• 1170432768.jpg
    1170432768.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 85
If you like 'statics, you'll likely enjoy the sound of ribbons more than dome tweeters (I may just be making that up too) ... But Bob Carver just came out with some Cinema Ribbon speakers that look to be around $1500 new, and are getting rave reviews. Worth a look.

Also, the Elac speakers use the proprietary (and supposedly awesome) Jet tweeter. I'd use those in some DIY projects if I could get my hands on some. So, they're worth looking into. There is currently an auction on audiogon at the $450 price point for a pair of 204.2s with 2.5 days left

There are also "final sound" electrostatic HT speakers. They are supposed to be better in the regard you're looking for...but require a sub.

Not your standard choices, but worth looking into if you want to include all options. I'd give a special look to the Elac speakers...that tweeter is really supposed to be something special. (as in often considered better than the Raven R1 ribbon tweeter, which is used in the Arial 20T)

I'd suggest Mirage Omnipolars as well.

I had a 5.1 set up with these speakers and they're amazing for the price.

Latest posts

Back