Used Aeon vs new Electromotion ESL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GZito

Reaction score
I had a question that I was hoping I could get an experienced opinion on.
I am looking at buying my first pair of electrostatic speakers and I was pretty much down to a new pair of Electromotion ESL, or a pre owned pair of Aeon’s. The two pairs of speakers are essentially the exact same price.
My room is a great room, about 18 x 36, with a vaulted ceiling that peaks at 18 feet high.
I am running an old school Ashly amplifier which puts out 500WPC at 4 ohms, and 300 at 8.
Any feedback is genuienly appreciated.

Hola and welcome to our club. My vote is for the Electromotions, because it has the latest electrostatic panel. There are several reviews and all are very positive. I am not saying that the Aeons are not good. But the Electromotions are overall, a better sounding speaker. The blend of the woffer with the panels is less evident, and with the new panel, the sound is more dynamic and more effortless. The better dispersion of the panel, makes a wider sweet spot too. But, try to listen to them, and choose the one that you liked most. The look of the Aeon is better to my eyes, but the sound is what it counts, right? Some will say the opposite perhaps... just trust your ears! Happy listening.

Last edited:
I thought I had replied, but apparently it did not go through...

I appreciate the feedback.

My ears tend to agree with what you said. (Although I heard the 2 sets in two different stores)

Aeons:
-Look Better
-The salesman says they are better they are more than twice the price originally and have for superior components. (Although he was personally not familiar with the electro motions)
-Have a smaller sweet spot (although that may have to do with the set up)
-Probably have a little more flexibility with price
-It could have been the source, but when in the sweet spot – wow – they sounded amazing.

The shop that has the Aeons is trying to sell me either B&W 683’s, or Sinclair Audio 460t’s and is telling me I would me much happier. He says the shop owner sold his $7K ML’s, because they are not as good as a regular speaker. He makes fun of some of my vintage amps, and says they will not sound good with the ML’s. He also says that unless the room is 100% they will not sound good. In the shop all it took was a chair, and about 5 seconds to be in heaven. He had it powered with a Bryston at 250 w per side. (And he said the 4K bryston was a crapy amp for the ML’s)

Electromotions:
-Brand New (with full warrantee)
-More sensitive
-Easier on the amplifier.
-Do not look as good.
-Definitely had the appearance of a larger sweet spot, however it may not have been quite as good as the Aeons. The source equipment at this shop was definitely inferior to my setup (an ipod plugged into a $300 pioneer receiver.)

I have an Anthem MRX (using it as a pre pro) to the Ashly for my mains, and a separate power amp to my centre and a powered paradigm 12 inch sub.

I think I will have to roll the dice, and see how it works out.

MartinLogan have priced the EM ESL so well that it makes buying used speakers like the Aeon a poor proposition (unless the used speakers are significantly reduced in price). Buy the EMs. You won't regret it.

"...The shop that has the Aeons is trying to sell me either B&W 683’s, or Sinclair Audio 460t’s and is telling me I would me much happier. He says the shop owner sold his $7K ML’s, because they are not as good as a regular speaker. He makes fun of some of my vintage amps, and says they will not sound good with the ML’s. He also says that unless the room is 100% they will not sound good. In the shop all it took was a chair, and about 5 seconds to be in heaven. He had it powered with a Bryston at 250 w per side. (And he said the 4K bryston was a crapy amp for the ML’s)..."
With all respect, when you listen to an electrostatic speaker, and make a comparison vs cones, no cone and boxie sound will match the MLs. The person who had the $7K ML and sold it, it is just because a matter of liking or he nedded the money. The ML electrostatic diaphragm weights less than the aire that it moves. Its the fastest speaker on earth. The transparency, the size of the instruments, the inner detail, the truly 3D, the coherency, because there is no crossover between 2KHz and 5KHz, the most critical zone, the soul of the musician(s) playing for you... the left hand of a piano player vs the right hand...very easy to understand or the fingering at a guitar. The ML sound is distortion free...typical only .3%THD. Can you say this with cone? Do your homework and listen all kind of amps driving the new ML models, not the old ones. Do not worry about the impedance, because when it is too low, this happens only at very high frequency, over 16KHz... listen the harmonic texture and listen carefully the voices... there are no flu at the voices... no nasal sound!... but everything is a matter of liking. What I do like, not necessary you have to like it too. My advice is> Trust your ears and get what you liked most, and at the store that has the Aeons, are authorized ML dealers?... I think that they perhaps are not...Happy listening!

Last edited:
I have not been here for a little while and been very happy with Martin Logan Spires which I purchased in Oct...

I work at shop where these Aeons were sold.

Younger guys at shop are not fans of Logan speakers and I feel they should let customer choose what is best.

I advised that the 1986 vintage Bryston 4B is not good match or 1980s Nikko power amplifier, Ashley PA amplifier. McIntosh ( current tube or solid state ), Classe Audio and more modern designs would work better.

I have owned many Martin Logan speakers over the years as well as Acoustat, Quads etc. Same with owner of shop.

Even with not best choice of electronics " The transparency, the size of the instruments, the inner detail, the truly 3D, the coherency, because there is not crossover between 2KHz and 5KHz, the most critical zone, the soul of the musician(s) playing for you... the left hand of a piano player vs the right hand...very easy to understand or the fingering at a guitar. The ML sound is distortion free...typical only .3%THD. Can you say this with cone? " is still there.

Hola. Yes, you are right. But with the design of the new panels that the Aeon does not has, , it is a fact, that they are much better. I have a power point presentation where you can see, the difference between old tech vs new tech. PM me your email adress. I will send it to you with much pleasure. An again, I love the sound of the Aeon. I would being listening ML sound even if the old panels were the only ones available. To my ears, the new ones are better. This is what ML states: beneficting from our sophisticated diaphragm coatings and advance aereospace stator insulation, ML MicroPerf panels can support exceptionally strong charges without arcing. In addition, our Xtat transducers significantly increase exposed diaphragm area (Without compromising stator rigidity), enabling them to deliver the dynamics and low-frequency extension of tradicional panels twice their size. I love ML sound, old and new. Happy listening.

Last edited:
Back