Upgrading Aerius i's to Sources

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbernst929

Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone had any first hand info on the Source speaker? I was going to replace the panels on my older Aerius i's, but am considering the newer Sources. Good upgrade? -Bob

Hi Bob,

Having owned the Aerius and having heard the "Purity", which I believe is an internally powered Source, I think you should go with the Source.

With the appropriate equipment / setup, it should do everything the Aerius does and alot more.

Plus, you'll get the new stat technology along with a much more potent / defined mid bass, lower bass.

If I were in your shoes, the choice would be clear.

Ideally, you can borrow a pair for an in home / no obligation audition.

Second best would be to take your speakers to an ML dealer and hear them side by side.

FYI, the most recent edition of The Absolute Sound contains a review of the Source. It was a rave.

Good luck.

GG

I wouldn't necessarily assume the Source will outperform the Aerius i's. The Source is part of the (lower-end) ML Design series, and the Aerius i's would qualify as the (higher-end) ESL series. I used to have Aerius i's, and believe they are more comparable to the Vista, with regards to (functional) panel size and tonality. A NEW Aerius i panel might give you more bang for the buck, especially if you already have a decent amp. The Aerius i is spec'd at 38" vertical dispersion, vs. 28" for the Source. They both have 8" woofers. Perhaps some folks here have heard both, and can give their $0.02 worth.

You need to listen to both in your room. I too, would actually assume that the Aerius would be better - you are doing a downgrade there in the ML line, but it's just a matter of deciding for yourself whether the newer panel technology would be better for you. You may also consider replacing the panels on your Aerius if they are around or over 10-15 years as some people have been amazed at the difference it has made. That said, if you've looked after them then they may not need replacing.

I wouldn't necessarily assume the Source will outperform the Aerius i's. The Source is part of the (lower-end) ML Design series, and the Aerius i's would qualify as the (higher-end) ESL series. I used to have Aerius i's, and believe they are more comparable to the Vista, with regards to (functional) panel size and tonality. A NEW Aerius i panel might give you more bang for the buck, especially if you already have a decent amp. The Aerius i is spec'd at 38" vertical dispersion, vs. 28" for the Source. They both have 8" woofers. Perhaps some folks here have heard both, and can give their $0.02 worth.

Did I see it wrong, I see 30 degrees in both manuals....

Back