Upgrade or Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusion2007

Reaction score
Hi guys Im fairly new to the world of audiophiles but i definitely am one, I would really appreciate if you guys could guide me here on what to do.

I currently own the Aeon Speakers, so there about 10yrs old. They sound good and seem fine right now, but i haven't heard other ml speakers in a while so I'm not sure just how much better are the new ones. Which brings me to ask what do you guys think i should do?
My Options
1. Panal replacement: Would they make the original panel or one of the new technology?

2. upgrade (preferably something with a bigger sweet spot)
if i upgrade now, I could spend around 2-4k. probably get a demo model
or if i wait 5moths i could spend 4-8k.

btw i haven't washed them, something about putting electronics in water scares me..lol will vacuuming be enough or water washing be a good idea?

Last edited:
You may want to read the last 8 pages of this thread on replacement panels http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...712-Lifetime-Service-for-MartinLogan-Products . The price of replacement panels has gone up in price 3 fold which is quite a bit.ML can make panels for you speakers,however , they will probably cost $2000 or more.
Since you are considering upgrading, I think that would be best.Definately read the thread as ML really isn't the same company as before under the new owners.Perhaps it's best to consider other brands of speakers.

Also suggest one of the newer models. Used, they are quite good deals these days.

My favorite is the Spire. Same panel as a Summit, but with a passive woofer. If you bi-amp and use a sub, this can be a killer speaker.

They sound good and seem fine right now, upgrade (preferably something with a bigger sweet spot)
or if i wait 5moths i could spend 4-8k.

fusion, welcome, as you can see from what I've quoted from your post, IMO, enjoy what you, save your pennies and as JonFo said the Spire's matched with a great sub makes for the $$ value one of the best combinations.

moon,
i called and asked they said it cost 1k exactly plus 50$ for shipping.
Thats along thread I'm reading it, ill be honest i love the sound of ml. I really want to stick with them, when i finish the article ill post more.

jmschnur
I will never buy anything but ml, Im leaning in that direction

Jonfo

Im considering ethos/spire/theos/vantage... Im considering anything in that range,
I can get a spires for 5k or vantages for 4k, both new

please give me ur thoughts about each speaker

twich54

i would like to do that, but I'm worried i won't be able to find a set later on, would a dealer let me put it on hold now and pay for it slowly, for example 1500 now 1k next mnth... what do you think?

thanks for help everyone

Spire has best panel. It would be my recommendation . A separate sub (jl112) with a good amp makes this a superb system.
J

Last edited:
Spire has best panel. It would be my recommendation . Since it is not a powered sub needs a good amp. A separate sub (jl112) makes this a superb system.
J

I have the Spires and i can tell you that they indeed have a powered amplifier (200W) in their woofers :D.

I have the Spires and i can tell you that they indeed have a powered amplifier (200W) in their woofers :D.

Oops, right you are, I forgot they are indeed active woofers. Still, highly recommended, and an even better value ;)

I can get a spires for 5k or vantages for 4k, both new

please give me ur thoughts about each speaker

There's nothing to think about.....Spire's all the way ! and if you can trully get them new for 5k, what are you waiting for ?

wow didnt know the spires are that highly ranked on the scale. Im only holding off because i dont have 5k just yet, i have 2k that i can spend now. Yes i can charge it to my cc and pay it off in a few months. but idk if its worth it. If its a speaker that will last awhile and keep sounding amazing without and problems or issues then ill probably do it. is it that much better then my aeons?

fusion, my response , just so you know is the Spire's vs. Vantage comparison, espescially given only the 1k difference. Regrardless I feel the Spire's are that good and @ 5k new I know of no speaker on the planet that's better !

fusion, my response , just so you know is the Spire's vs. Vantage comparison, espescially given only the 1k difference. Regrardless I feel the Spire's are that good and @ 5k new I know of no speaker on the planet that's better !

wow must be one incredible speaker. should i just suck it up and buy it?

alrite so just closed the deal on the spires for $5,100.00, in the mid 5 with tax. its the standard cherry finish, how ever i will put my own custom made overlay on it. I'm excited, what do you guys think good deal?

Hola. You are paying $ 3.5K less than the U.S. retail price for them. As you do know, current models are very hard to find at discount price. The new Montis are retailed in the $ 10K price range. The gap between Spires and the Montis is very narrow... so you are doing a very good deal. Listen to them first before you buy them, to make sure they are O.K... Happy listening!

Hola. You are paying $ 3.5K less than the U.S. retail price for them. As you do know, current models are very hard to find at discount price. The new Montis are retailed in the $ 10K price range. The gap between Spires and the Montis is very narrow... so you are doing a very good deal. Listen to them first before you buy them, to make sure they are O.K... Happy listening!

I agree and had the chance to audition the Montis at T.H.E Show in Newport last month. I couldn't tell much difference between them and my Spires. I asked the ML personnel about it and they agreed with me. The audible differences between the new $10K Montis and the $5K Spire range from practically non-existent to very small, depending on the type of music played, at least to my ears. Basically, you just got a '$10K' speaker for $5K!!!

im soo happy and thrilled to hear that. honestly the more i hear about them, the better i feel about making this purchase(helps me justify the amount of money spent. lol). i like hearing more about them... telll me mooree!!! please. lol by the way, where is the best place to get proper hq music,(harp music and piano is my fav rite now)is itunes really thr most reliable?

SACD is the best. You will need a blu ray player that plays them and HDMI feed to your preamp.

Ripped CDs using FLAC and a squeezetouch can sound very good as well.

J

Back