Upgrade from Vista to Ascent?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterMechanico

Reaction score
Good morning, Folks. I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Ascent i's to upgrade my 2 channel system. I would then move my Vistas to the rear channels of the HT system. The Ascents are NIB from an authorised dealer,and I expect to pay between $1650.00 and $1850.00 each. I'm very (VERY) happy with my Vistas, but I need to replace the Oscar the Grouch rear speakers anyhow, and i think this might be a great way to do it. I'll definitely be demo-ing them beforehand, but I'd like your opinions mainly on the price and any common issues the Ascents have, but ofcourse if any of you have demo'd the vista and ascent side by side, I'd love to hear your impressions.

I'll be powering them with a Yamaha A-S2000 Integrated Amp (150 wpc into 4 ohms)
and my source is a Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD Player.

Note: I'm very pleased with the performance of these two components, so please no Yamaha Bashing, unless you've owned an A-S2000, then by all means let me have it:D

The HT Receiver is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1010; powers (only) the rears and center.

Listening volume is never very loud, maybe 45% on the dial.

Music is definitely my priority.

Room size is 11' by 13' with the front channels on a long wall, one end (left if facing the speakers) is open. a picture can be seen here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14383-System-455-(Vista)

I'm building this system as a long term investment, so the room isn't permanent.

Thanks a bunch. Julian

Hola Julian. I think that you will be in trouble using your Yamaha to drive the Ascents. These speakers are not easy to drive. My advise is, try to listen to them with your system or at least use the same power amp that you are going to be using, to drive them. It looks a good deal, and the Ascent is a great speaker too. But their sensitivity requires a different type of amplifier, capable to drive very low impedance and tons of guts, if you want to take the most of them. If your Yamaha has pre-amp outputs, in a very near future, you can get an amplifier to match their requirements. I am not saying that the Yamaha is a bad power amp. No sir. Happy listening!

Do it! 'Ascent i' is my top choice from back when ML wasn't trying to be an interior decorating company.

Roberto, thank you for the advice. Sad to say, but the Ascents been sold...

As per your advice on amplification though, I have had in mind an upgrade to a more solid 2 channel power amp to drive the front channels (via the A-S2000 Pre-Outs), And using the A-S2000 to drive the rears in HT mode. The amplifier I'm leaning toward is a Bryston 4BSST.

One question I have, since we're talking about Vistas and Amplifiers, is whether I should try upgrading my amplifier before upgrading my Vistas? Is it posible that I haven't reached the "Performance Ceiling" of the Vistas?

Julian

Hola. With all respect, I think that any Martin Logan electrostatic model will show the electronics and their sound will be the best as the weaker component of the system. If you start to upgrade your components, your Vista will shine and will start to sing to you better. Trust your ears, because out there are wonderful not so expensive electronics, so expensive does not mean better. Your first component where your are getting the first audio signal, meaning cd player, dvd, DAC, or phono turntable, computer audio or whatever you are using to play your music is very important. The better you get, the better your sound is through your Vistas. You have a great speakers, also you have the latest electrostatic panel from ML that, to my ears, are better than the old technology. Here is an example of how the new panel works. First is TOTAL PERFORATED AREA No1 Prodigy Panel, then 2 is the Odyssey panel and number 3 is the Summit panel. On Pic two is TOTAL PLAYABLE AREA and 3 is DIPOLAR PLAYABLE AREA Happy listening!

Attachments

• Summit 1.jpg
    Summit 1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Summit 2.jpg
    Summit 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Summit 3.jpg
    Summit 3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Back