Tubed Paradise for ML Electrostatic Panels - A Visual Tour De Force...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that! WOW! 18 tubes per amp! YEOW! Imagine the cost to play some tube rolling on those babies!

At $39,900.00 per pair I doubt that the added expense of tube rolling is too much for anyone who can afford these monsters. The AC bill on the other hand might be a killer:D

At $39,900.00 per pair I doubt that the added expense of tube rolling is too much for anyone who can afford these monsters. The AC bill on the other hand might be a killer:D

YEOWZA! That is some big coin for a pair of amps! I guess Halcro and MBL among other eclipse that, but I can't imagine having so much money that spending $40k on a PAIR of amps would really work for me! I could buy the Piper Comanche's I have been looking at for that kind of money! Those will go 150mph up where there are not speed limits (two of my Porsches will nudge 180, but you are at high risk of going to jail when you do that around here!)

If you have been looking at a comanche, take a look at a mooney instead - way better on gas and safer flying. i flew an M20J for a while and you might be able to pick one up for 60-80K....11gph burn for 165 kts

dont want to get too off topic -

If you have been looking at a comanche, take a look at a mooney instead - way better on gas and safer flying. i flew an M20J for a while and you might be able to pick one up for 60-80K....11gph burn for 165 kts

dont want to get too off topic -

Already did...I grew up in Kerrville so I have a VERY SOFT spot for Mooney. I am in a wheelchair though and you can't step (or in my case SIT) on the flaps of Mooney's. They also sit about 1" higher than the Comanche, the baggage compartment is not accessible from a sitting position, they are narrower by at least 2", and they are more expensive by 2X (though what I would be looking at would be newer, probably better equipt, and certainly a better panel layout).

The 250 Comanche are about 160 kts on about 14gph...the 180's (more my price range) are about 135 - 140 kts on 8 - 8.5 gph...

You've Heard Of ~ BAT.... How About....

:cheers: Convergent Audio Technologies (CAT) Mega mighty tubed amplifiers... :D Check-out this marvelous JL-1 model... :p

Attachments

• Convergent Audio Technologies - JL1.jpg
    Convergent Audio Technologies - JL1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,003
Excellent ~ CAT ~ Toobed Power...

;) CAT is the word for Convergent Audio Technologies and definitive toobed amplifiers.... Lookie at these beauties JL-3's....:drool: :band:

Attachments

• CAT - JL3.jpg
    CAT - JL3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • cat-jl3.jpg
    cat-jl3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 997
Truth Justice and the Way to Tubed Amplifier DIY Projects...

Not every tubed wonder amplifier comes together in a factory in some plant somewhere. Sometimes amazing talents are brought forth on the work bench in DIY project designed and built from scratch, with beautiful artistry and incredible electronic technical know how... ;)

:D Behold the DIY tubed amplifier work bench...

Attachments

• DIY - Amplifier.jpg
    DIY - Amplifier.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,012
High-End DIY Tubed Project...

:D Interestingly enough, it is possible to order a tubed DIY amplifier project pre-designed and pre-manufactured, you just esemble it ~ DIY... :) The photo below shows amplifiers completed this way... :D

Attachments

• High End - DIY Tube Kits.jpg
    High End - DIY Tube Kits.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,152
:D Interestingly enough, it is possible to order a tubed DIY amplifier project pre-designed and pre-manufactured, you just esemble it ~ DIY... :) The photo below shows amplifiers completed this way... :D

What company is makes these babies?

The Wonderful New McIntosh MC275 Mk V....

The next incarnation of the McIntosh MC275 is the Mark V... :wow: :banana: It sports the newer speaker binding posts and illiminates the vloume controls for unbalanced connected sources. ;) The Mark V looks very cool... :D

Attachments

• McIntosh MC275 MK V Amplifier.jpg
    McIntosh MC275 MK V Amplifier.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 532
  • McIntosh MC275 - Side View.jpg
    McIntosh MC275 - Side View.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 535
  • McIntosh MC275 MK V - Other side view.jpg
    McIntosh MC275 MK V - Other side view.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 525
Citiation II Tubed Amplifiers...

Tube60,

Interesting configuration of these Citiation II tubed amplifiers. ;) I take it you have owned this amplifier in the past. Did the Citiation II amp sound great?

Attachments

• Citiation II Tubed amp - front.jpg
    Citiation II Tubed amp - front.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 434
  • Citiation II tube amp.jpg
    Citiation II tube amp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 436
The next incarnation of the McIntosh MC275 is the Mark V... :wow: :banana: It sports the newer speaker binding posts and illiminates the vloume controls for unbalanced connected sources. ;) The Mark V looks very cool... :D

I'd be wary of this amp, with respect to reliability. Give this model some time in the field first is my advice. The MC275 is an absolutely great amp! but the Mk V is put together with lead-free solder (so it can be sold in the EU). There have already been a number of failures (in Dell computers etc.) because the LF solder is brittle and devlopes hairline cracks (as in OPEN CIRCUIT!) And with a tube amp that constantly goes thru heating/cooling cycles I don't know . . . . . . . . . . .

On another note, I just finished replacing the stock (read: crap!) McIntosh tubes in my new MC275 Mk IV with NOS Telefunkens, NOS RCA blackplates, and Penta Labs KT88SC's. NEVER have I heard a MartinLogan speaker sound so sublime!! HONEST!! :rocker:

McIntosh MC275 Mk IV....

On another note, I just finished replacing the stock (read: crap!) McIntosh tubes in my new MC275 Mk IV with NOS Telefunkens, NOS RCA blackplates, and Penta Labs KT88SC's. NEVER have I heard a MartinLogan speaker sound so sublime!! HONEST!! :rocker:
Neil,

:D I am concidering connecting a Marantz SA-7S1 CS/SACD player directly via unbalanced to the MC275 Mk VI, as unbalanced has volume control. The Marantz has enough output power 2.5 V RMS. The unbalanced input sensitivity of the MC275 is 1.2. Others here have said this will work, I am very interested in what you think?

Last edited:
This Tubed Amplifier Looks Stunning....

Does anyone know what kinda amplifier this is? :confused: I think it might be a Klein but probably not, it was the only english word under this photo, probably the photographer... :D The write-up was in German. I wish, I could read the label on the amp better... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCF0005klein.jpg
    DSCF0005klein.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 416
klein is also "small" in german, I believe. Good eyes nsgarch, that's hard to read.

Last edited:
Back