Tube Traps-front wall or back wall ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOON

Reaction score
I would like to know the better position for my asc 1/4 round tube traps which are 5 ft tall. Would they be better in the corners behind my Oddessey's or would they be better in the opposite end of the room?

Thanks, Greg

I have my tube traps on the front wall to the right of my right side Odyssey. It's the only true right angled conner I have near the equipment.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question for any given room. You need to try them in both locations and see which makes the most difference in your room to your ears. Honestly, the best answer is both. Get two more and treat all four corners -- that will provide the best bass sound improvement.

I agree with Rich, see what works for now, but you will probably want all four corners eventually. let us know what you find out!

I have my tube traps in the front corners behind my speakers. ASC recommends treating the speaker end of the room first and the back corners later. In fact the plan for my room called for ceiling treatment and 1/4 rounds for the front wall and soffit and the back soffit before tube traps in the back corners.

I have my tube traps on the front wall to the right of my right side Odyssey. It's the only true right angled conner I have near the equipment.

You can also put some bass-heavy music playing and listen on each corner to identify which one(s) have a louder bass. Those would be the ones to tackle first. As others said, you typically should start by bass-trapping the speaker wall.

Note: You don't necessarily need to restrict yourself to the corners when moving around the room and listening to the bass. I have a couple of non-corner locations along the walls where the bass content is really heavy (i.e. standing-wave peaks) and I plan on putting some traps there too.

I happened to re-read a review of the Ascents, and remembered this post.
The full review is here: http://www.avrev.com/equip/martinloganascent/index.html
Here's a excerpt that may be interesting:
I experimented with ASC’s tube and studio traps during my review of the MartinLogan speakers. The traps are often placed at the point of first reflection to control side reflections and improve imaging. I have noticed that the side reflections are fairly minimal in my room, so I used the traps a bit differently. I placed the studio traps behind the Ascents with the reflective side forward. The tube traps were placed flanking the speakers to form a horn type effect.

I noticed that the studio traps allowed more flexibility with placement of the speakers, which has long been a point of concern for electrostatic speakers. The studio traps control the dispersion of the rearward emanating energy and help to provide a deep and wide image that is less dependent on room characteristics. The tube traps are normally utilized to control reflections or bass loading. The traps also have another use with electrostatic speakers: horn loading. Electrostatic speakers have long been criticized for lack for their lack of dynamics. I found that the new Ascents do not suffer from this malady nearly as much as their predecessors, but I nonetheless experimented with horn loading the speakers. With the tube traps placed in a horn-loaded configuration, I found that the speakers became slightly more dynamic, almost as if the amplifier was switched for a more powerful unit. I think that this setup will be particularly useful for those with large rooms and or lower-powered amplifiers.

I moved the Ascents around a bit and ended up with them positioned approximately eight feet apart, two feet from the back wall and slightly toed in. I found this position gave me the best blend of bass and imaging.

Back