Tube amps with pass-thru?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that would be a hell of a combination!

What do you guys think about this switch:

Niles Audio SPK-1 Switch

It is the best I have found so far. Only about a hundred bucks, so might be worth a try just to see how well it works. It requires a 12 volt trigger, but I have that with the Meridian.
Wow, talk about chimera’s…

Rich, that switch looks like just the ticket. I’m getting one just for testing.

Bet it has a nice 12v controlled relay inside ;)

If one needed more wattage than the Rated 600w, I bet a simple relay swap inside would do the trick.

... I explained that in my earlier post. I prefer Class A solid state or tube amplification for music, but when I get several other bodies in the room for home theater and the projector is running (which puts off a fair amount of heat itself) it just gets uncomfortably warm. Also, if I am using a tube amp, I really don't want the hours on the tubes just for movies.

I have very different needs in sound quality for movies than I do for music. But please understand, we are not talking about "substandard" sound even for the movies. In case you didn't read my earlier post, I mentioned that I am running a Meridian G68 processor into a Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifier for movies. This is super high quality sound and is incredible for movies and damn good for music. But as I said, it is just not quite the level of quality that I require for critical listening to music. I find that I am completely satisfied with this setup for movies, but am not quite there when listening to music. Hence the need for a different amp for two channel, and the accompanying thermal issues if this same amp is used during movies. Thanks for your input on the AR pre. I am strongly considering them as my choice for two-channel pre...

An interesting point you make, Rich. I hadn't considered the wear and tear on my main system when watching movies. Maybe there is some merit to my suggestion to use a Bose lifestyle product - but perhaps in conjunction with, but not connected to, the main 2 channel system :cheers:

If one needed more wattage than the Rated 600w, I bet a simple relay swap inside would do the trick.

I'm thinking if one needed more wattage than the rated 600w with Class A amplification, one would probably get off cheaper buying the second pair of Summits than those amplifiers. Can you imagine the heat those suckers would generate? My sunfire is 400 wpc and my pass labs is 350 wpc, so I think this switch would do me just fine. I think I will also get one to try out.

An interesting point you make, Rich. I hadn't considered the wear and tear on my main system when watching movies. Maybe there is some merit to my suggestion to use a Bose lifestyle product - but perhaps in conjunction with, but not connected to, the main 2 channel system :cheers:

Now you are catching the bug, edwinr. That's how it started with me. I said: "I don't see why I can't have a great home theater and a great two channel hi fi system in one room. I can have the best of both worlds and not skimp on either." I'm telling you, that way madness lies!

Back