Questions regarding HT bypass pre-amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk319

Reaction score
preface: I just received a new HD-DVD player, and have a BD player coming that can only bitstream the new formats. So I am pretty sure I will get an Onkyo 705 or refurbed 805 if only for the required "decoders". Not that my refurbed NAD T-163 is a Mac, Bat, or Arc, but I still don't want to take a step backwards for 2-channel, as I am sure all of you can understand.

I really do enjoy my refurbed T-973 amp. However, still being new to the vast array of products out there, what do you guys think about getting an integrated amp with HT bypass instead? Are the choices too limited in quality? (I ask that question, but my budget is sort of humble at around 2k before trade, or msrp). It would be very nice to find a product such as Rogue, Jolida, even BAT, since I can trade my NAD up to one of those. Its just that BAT is out of my league. Recs are appreciated! (I am presently eyeing the Rogue Perseus. After finding Joey's remarks, he has since given me input. Thanks Joey! and congrats on your score!!).

oh yes, after google searching HT bypass for a bit, I came upon a random thread that was saying that a tape loop on a receiver does the same thing as HT pass. Is this true, and would it open up options for getting pre/amps or integrateds w/o the "required HT pass"? How does that work, if true?

I know I have more questions that I cannot think of. Thanks for your time and help!!

Another option is to forget all this jive, and just get the Integra 9.8. Im not sure it would do my stats justice for 2-channel, but it has the potential for Pro Audyssey.

I thought the Onkyo would be more more than adequate for HT purposes, but it doesn't have a 12v trigger for zone 1. I know it sounds stupid, but such a simple item of convenience might tip the scale.

Back