Tranporter and SB3 on Logitech site

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Prall

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone noticed that the same site to pick up a mouse and keyboard now sports the SB3 AND the Transporter! :eek: I knew they were the new owners.... But I guess I never expected that they would sell the Transporter on their site too.

Just wondered if anyone noticed that the same site to pick up a mouse and keyboard now sports the SB3 AND the Transporter! :eek: I knew they were the new owners.... But I guess I never expected that they would sell the Transporter on their site too.

Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.

Pleae don't think I'm trying to hijack this thread, but I'm going to throw my $0.02 worth into the "Transporter" discussion...

I have been LUSTING over the Transporter since it first came out, but $2000 for a device to play digital to my system, that comes with NO storage, takes a seperate shelf in my rack, and has a "pretty good DAC just doesn't seem like it makes sense in my current setup, with the Benchmark.

I already have an AWESOME laptop, with a big hard drive, and it's got built-in wireless networking. It's an Apple MacBook Pro 17", and with iTunes as my Music program, and the default ripping set at "Apple Lossless", it sounds pretty darn good.

Plugging it in directly to the Benchmark, however, means I can't use the computer while I listen, so I bought an AirPort Express. This little doodad is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and not only will let me stream wirelessly from my computer from just about anywhere in the house, but also acts as a wireless print server (USB and Etherenet ports), AND it has a TOSLINK port, so I can feed the digital stream directly into the Benchmark.

So I can stream wirelessly from my computer while I work on other things, AND get the benefit of the Benchmark DAC. And if I add more AirPort Expresses, (by simply plugging them into an outlet and connecting them to other systems throughout the house) I can not only do simultaneous streaming throughout the house, but extend the range of my router to give REALLY hot wireless coverage through the whole house (2-story, brick and wood construction) AND have printers whereever I want them. And if I ad an AirPort Extreme (Apple's wireless Router hub), I can hang any standard-issue USB-2 hard drive off it to use as a NAS for music and file sharing, leaving our laptops HDs free off our massive music collection...

So yeah, I think the Transporter looks tres chic, and I TOTALLY dig the retro meter displays, and it has a LOT of features and a pretty sweet DAC, but when I've already got a wireless network, a Benchmark in the main rig, and "consumer-grade" (Sony, Technics, etc) for my "secondary systems" (parlor, kitchen, guest bedroom) the outlay for a Transporter just doesn't make sense for me anymore.

And if you are a stereo geek AND a computer geek like me, this solution that Apple has (various AirPort boxes) is REALLY easy to set up, cross-platform compatible (we have a Mac and a Dell running XP, and they both work flawlessly with AirTunes) and it gives you an extra level of techno-geek bragging rights with your techie friends AND your stereo buddies. :p

--Richard

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I also have a mixed PC/MAC household. I've dedicated an IMac that's in my library to connect the external HDD to and it serves as the portal to all my Apple lossless files stored on the hard drive. I don't however have an external DAC, and have been utilizing the one already integrated with the SB3. I have wondered if just adding an external DAC might be the way to go to see if I could perceive a difference/improvement in sound quality between the two DAC's. I will say that if you check out the review here:

http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/207slim/

that this reviewer was utilizing an external DAC and still found the Transporter to be somewhat superior to the SB3/external DAC pairing. If someone on the forum actually has experience with this comparison, I hope they will chime in with their impressions. :)

Counterpoint

But then for those of us who don't yet have the Benchmark, the ModWright tweaked Transporter may be exactly what I'd be looking for:
  1. AKM "Miracle" DAC chip.
  2. ModWright power-supply and analogue output stage.
  3. Digital input including word clock input.

Dan Wright is soliciting for inputs for Transporter mods here.
Regarding your point about having NO storage, that is really a non-issue since hard drives do crash eventually. The real solution to HD crashing is to back up or to have RAID capable storage. With RAID storage on your network, there is NO need for "local" storage in the Transporter.

Spike

Richard,

Are you using the MacBook to select the music you are playing? I don't have a Transporter, just a Squeezebox plus DAC. While the MacBook/AirPort/DAC solution looks intriguing (I use an iMac as the music server), the SB/Transporter is also a remote control for the server. I control mine with a Harmony universal, very neat.

Certainly you don't listen with a MacBook in your lap. How do you do it?

Back