Totem Mani 2 convert NEEDS HELP? Summit?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billschreiner

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just moved into a new house and have my setup in a 10x25 room with hard floors, high ceilings and nothing (currently) on the walls. I have a set of Totem Mani 2's driven by a Classe' CAP 150 integrated. The setup was great for yesteryear, but I'm getting the itch and the sound is bothering me. And I've been dreaming of ML's for years.

Years ago I had a hotrod setup with a modified Hafler amp (no preamp), Marantz CD player and some HUGE Acoustat electostatic panels. I still get chills. Loved that sound.

Now i have a baby who likes to get electrocuted and I want to get back to that transparent sound.

My thougts are to stick with 2 channel for everything and my budget thoughts are as follows:
~ $2,000 - used amp
~ $1,500 - used preamp
~ $1,000 - used CD player
will fill in with interconnects/cables to marry the equipment when electronics purchased.
~ speakers .........depending on advice i get here. I saw a pair of new summits for about 6K but would really love to spend less if i don't have to sacrafice too much. The less i spend, the sooner i am listening. I love the Logan sound and have decided on ML.

Questions:
1.) Thoughts on my electronics budget? Too much? I was looking at a used Classe' amp. Good looks, good sound and good value? (i think).
2.) I've never gone tube and have initially thought that solid state means more power for less and fewer headaches. I like fewer headaches. But the cult of tubes keeps drawing me in. But i really don't like headaches.
3.) I don't know the ML line and don't mind going with a sub, but would need some advice from somebody who is confident on which speaker to get.
4.) Will my baby be able to get to the panels and will bad things happen?
5.) I'm not that picky about a bass response here or a little extra perfection there........but I'm picky enough to spend 10Kish to get in the game. So I'm looking for the fewest headaches, and best value while still be able to make the neighbors ****ed every once in a while still being able to hold my breath when Siri Svale inhales on Blackbird.

You get the idea. THANK you in advance for even considering taking the time to help me. It is needed and appreciated.

Best,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Since your room isn't very wide, I would think that an ML with not so large a footprint would do. If , I was in your shoes , I wouldn't change too many things too fast. Why not get a used set of Vantages 1st off and mate that to your present integrated amp before you do anything else.

You didn't say what your present cdp is . The one thing with logans is they really require good components upstream from them to get fantastic sound. And if the components are not up to snuff, the logans will show it. Your lenght of room is good , since the logans like to be out about 5 ft from the wall behind them. As I said , before you part with money , buy some used vantages off www.audiogon.com or the classified ads on this site.Perhaps , your integrated would work fine with logans, thus saving buying more interconnects.

Summits would require more money spent on components then you have listed . I would say the same for the vantages, but if you buy them used you have more of the money pot to spread around if you go the amp and pre route. Perhaps a used Simaudio W-5, Pass Labs x-250, etc.

My 2 sense anyway.Hope this helps you a little.Remember acoustic treatments as well.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Greetings,

I just moved into a new house and have my setup in a 10x25 room with hard floors, high ceilings and nothing (currently) on the walls. I have a set of Totem Mani 2's driven by a Classe' CAP 150 integrated. The setup was great for yesteryear, but I'm getting the itch and the sound is bothering me. And I've been dreaming of ML's for years.

Years ago I had a hotrod setup with a modified Hafler amp (no preamp), Marantz CD player and some HUGE Acoustat electostatic panels. I still get chills. Loved that sound.

Now i have a baby who likes to get electrocuted and I want to get back to that transparent sound.

My thougts are to stick with 2 channel for everything and my budget thoughts are as follows:
~ $2,000 - used amp
~ $1,500 - used preamp
~ $1,000 - used CD player
will fill in with interconnects/cables to marry the equipment when electronics purchased.
~ speakers .........depending on advice i get here. I saw a pair of new summits for about 6K but would really love to spend less if i don't have to sacrafice too much. The less i spend, the sooner i am listening. I love the Logan sound and have decided on ML.

Questions:
1.) Thoughts on my electronics budget? Too much? I was looking at a used Classe' amp. Good looks, good sound and good value? (i think).
2.) I've never gone tube and have initially thought that solid state means more power for less and fewer headaches. I like fewer headaches. But the cult of tubes keeps drawing me in. But i really don't like headaches.
3.) I don't know the ML line and don't mind going with a sub, but would need some advice from somebody who is confident on which speaker to get.
4.) Will my baby be able to get to the panels and will bad things happen?
5.) I'm not that picky about a bass response here or a little extra perfection there........but I'm picky enough to spend 10Kish to get in the game. So I'm looking for the fewest headaches, and best value while still be able to make the neighbors ****ed every once in a while still being able to hold my breath when Siri Svale inhales on Blackbird.

You get the idea. THANK you in advance for even considering taking the time to help me. It is needed and appreciated.

Best,
Bill

Fix the room first!

PS: The Mani-2 is a great speaker.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
Thanks. I think I under-measured my room (I used the tiles which I now think are bigger than 12”….but will measure tomorrow). I like the “slow it down” concept,
I was looking on audiogon and saw a CA 150 and a CP 35 for $1400, which sounded good:

But that is probably me just getting the itch again.
I may have trouble with the wife and the 5’ from the wall, how important is that? I heard a Summit at the store pretty close to the wall……seemed too close in fact and it sounded pretty damn sweet. Also, I was reading about a “room correction” pre. Put the microphone in the room and “train your pre”. Does that work. I don’t know the reviewers well enough.
Am reading up on the Sim and the Pass electronics, thanks for the heads up on that.
Regarding the room, I have expensive wooden blinds and a carpet coming and some more stuff, but it just feels that it is an echo chamber. I too have loved the Mani’s but I’m nervous my kid may knock it over (even though my stand is filled with sand) and that would hurt. There is a joke in there about caring more about the speaker than the child, but I’m still too new at being a dad for that.
Anything you can think of (lamp, cloth vs. leather couches) to help chill the echo chamber/room out?
Best,
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Small children and delicate stereo equipment in the same room is a recipe for disaster!! As well as we believe they are trained and we watch them, stuff happens. When our children were young, our priority was safety of the kids in the house. I had entry level Polk stuff at the time and everything was pushed back into corners or against the walls to provide a safe place for the kids to play. Yet, crayons and mashed up animal crackers, juice and every food item you can imagine found a way to end up on everything including the stereo. Ever try to fish out a piece of toast from a VCR? Or when one of the kids accidently found the volume knob and turned it up to 11 while it was playing?

Right now I have my Vantages 5 ft from the front wall. My grandson came for a visit a few weeks ago and I was scared to death. One, we did not want him chewing on the speaker or power cables. Two, with the speakers that far into the room it was a trip hazard and he could walk/run/stumble into the speaks and hurt himself. So, we repeated the past and pushed it all back again. I even put the white shipping booties on to prevent all the goo from being smeared on the panels. The Vantage pushed tight to the wall was ok for background music, not the best position for relaxing.

It will be a balancing act to combine the kids and ML's in the same room. Maybe some other members who have raised kids with ML's will chime in and offer some insight. Have any of you guys put your shoes on in the morning and found a hi heel Barbie shoe temporarily stuck in your big toe?

Gordon

Back