Which One???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesseractML

Reaction score
I have a good problem to have. I am considering one of these three, but am struggling with choosing. I have recently become fortunate enough to be able to have this problem. What are your experiences/thoughts on these amps?

- My dream amp for almost 10 years now is the Sanders Sound Magtech.

- The Anthem Statement P2 is just a BEAST and the design has been chugging on for roughly 20 years.

- The Anthem STR has a killer graphic control display and more power, up to a point, than the P2, even though it weighs 15 lbs. less, which does bother me. I am aware of the 2 ohm/3 sec. stipulation.

Statement P2 specs:

1699323490660-png.24662

Attachments

• 1699323490660.png
    1699323490660.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 512
This is the one for ESLs.

I've had mine for 10 years, and I love it. It can drive the naked Monolith panel (through the step-up xformer), which is a tough load.

Would not replace it for anything else.

I’m confused, on the sanders website their ESL mark 2 amp is for ESL’s, the magtech amp is designed to drive conventional magnetic speakers, not ESL’s.

Unfortunately, the Magtechs are now off the table.

I am down to the P2 or the STR. I am leaning toward the P2 because it doesn't choke at 2 ohms.

Which amp would you get to power your ESLs?

What are you powering?
I’m using the anthem MCA 225 II, it’s a 225/400/600 w amp with my classic 9’s so it’s pushing the panels and the bass sections both and it does a wonderful job. Anthem is associated with ML, I don’t think you can go wrong with their gear and ML’s.

I have a good problem to have. I am considering one of these three, but am struggling with choosing. I have recently become fortunate enough to be able to have this problem. What are your experiences/thoughts on these amps?

- The Anthem Statement P2 is just a BEAST and the design has been chugging on for roughly 20 years.

- The Anthem STR has a killer graphic control display and more power, up to a point, than the P2, even though it weighs 15 lbs. less, which does bother me. I am aware of the 2 ohm/3 sec. stipulation.

Statement P2 specs:

1699323490660-png.24662
I have read these questions for years and all I can say is that I think people stress way too much about the HF impedance dips. I have original Sequels that I bought new a few months after they first were on the market. I am on my 3rd set of panels and second set of woofers since 1987.

At first I to stressed over the what amp to choose based on speaker impedance. My first amp was a Tandberg 3012 integrated amp. Tandberg 3012 Integrated Amplifier Review price specs - Hi-Fi Classic
It worked and sounded fine and I never had a problem with it.

Then, I upgraded to a Tandberg TPA-3016A amp and TCA 3018A preamp. I gained in the bass tightness / slam and some HF life / sparkle. Tandberg TPA-3016A and TCA-3018A Preamplifier and Power amplifier Review price specs - Hi-Fi Classic

Next I decided to try some tube gear. bought a CAT SL1 Reference preamp and liked the improvement over the Tandberg preamp (no surprise here). Both are good but the CAT is great. So, I bought a used ARC Classic-60 figuring if it couldn't drive my Sequels I would resell it. It sounded really good especially with KT-88s. I used it for the next 20 years.

Along the way I tried a Levinson No. 23,5. It bested the Classic 60 with 6550s in the deep bass but was only marginally better when I switched to KT-88s. https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no235-power-amplifier-page-3

The Classic-60 was simply more "there"; so sold the Levinson. The Classic-60 eventually failed catastrophically probably due to not being properly maintained over the years. ARC said the filter caps were nearly dead when I sent it in for repair.

While waiting for the CL-60 to be repaired, I bought an ARC D-70 MKII and an ARC VT-100 MKII. I really liked the D-70 MKII and it is my current amp with a CAT Signature MKIII preamp. It drives the Sequels to any level I need and my system sounds quite glorious.

I also use a Mirage BPA-400 subwoofer with a Mirage LFX-1 active crossover.

Sooooo... I say, buy the amp that sounds good to you.

Last edited:
I agree about the impedance dip being too much in focus like I feel that a lot of folks look at theoretical things not real-world concerns - the impedance dip is at high frequencies, therefore not drawing nearly as much power for normal material so in general not an issue for an amp or AVR of decent quality. ML is also stating that all their LS are compatible with amps 4, 6 and 8 Ohm and I trust not just to sell their speakers. So - as said in the now previous previous post- buy the amp that sounds good to you.

Last edited:
I hear many people say the Sanders is the ultimate for ESL, but how is the Magtech as an all-around amp for regular speakers? I have 3 speakers that I rotate through, one of which are my SL3's, and the others are non-ESL. Currently, my Bryston 4B-SST2 is making me pretty happy with all 3 pairs. I've always wondered how the Magtech would compare.

Thanks for all of the advice, MLO.

Just as I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an Anthem 525 Gen 2 (was gonna use four channels to biamp the Classic 9s and one for the Focus C18) an Magtech came up for sale! It belongs to a good friend of mine, I've spent a lot of time listening to it so it is the one to go with.

I recently went back to my house in the Midwest and grabbed a few things to bring back to to my DMV apartment. Lots of room treatments and an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 that will help round out the 5.2 system I am putting together here. I really could have just used the Emo for the front 3 and the AVR for the surrounds, but where is the fun in that?

Glad I put off making a decision until after the holidays. This thing is minty!

Attachments

• 32695.jpeg
    32695.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 32694.jpeg
    32694.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 32697.jpeg
    32697.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I hear many people say the Sanders is the ultimate for ESL, but how is the Magtech as an all-around amp for regular speakers? I have 3 speakers that I rotate through, one of which are my SL3's, and the others are non-ESL. Currently, my Bryston 4B-SST2 is making me pretty happy with all 3 pairs. I've always wondered how the Magtech would compare.
"The popularity and success of the Electrostatic Amplifier (the "ESL Amp") for driving electrostatic speakers led to many requests for a companion amplifier that was specifically designed for driving conventional magnetic speakers. Two years in development, the Magtech amplifier is that amplifier."

https://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp
"Q: What is the Difference between the ESL AMPLIFIER and the THE MAGTECH AMPLIFIER?"

https://sanderssoundsystems.com/frequently-asked-s

For those saying the HF impedance demands are benign, I have to agree. I have been happily powering the Classic 9s with a Denon X4800H. As it is an apartment, I usually listen at -24dB or lower, sometimes going to -20dB.

I've had three pairs of speakers on this AVR along with an AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 and the T10 doesn't have to work any harder to keep temps down than with the other speakers. Everything is cool and relaxed. Soon I won't be using the internal amps at all, but expect that I won't need fans for the Magtech or Emo amps.

Glad that someone else is happy with their Bryston on SL3's. I have had a 4B NRB and 4B-ST on mine and have been very happy. Have not got my hads on SST or Cubed versions yet...

Glad that someone else is happy with their Bryston on SL3's. I have had a 4B NRB and 4B-ST on mine and have been very happy. Have not got my hads on SST or Cubed versions yet...
Bryston comes highly recommended from my local store that sells Martin Logan. I ended up going to a new Aragon stereo amp, but was really looking at Bryston. Their warranty is really great isn't it? Best in the business I think. That means a lot to me.

And yet you went elsewhere 🤭
Before I was introduced to Bryston, I was set on getting an Aragon.. their specs PLUS striking aesthetics had me salivating. But Bryston's presence in the Pro (studio) market convinced me... the warranty didn't hurt, either!

"The popularity and success of the Electrostatic Amplifier (the "ESL Amp") for driving electrostatic speakers led to many requests for a companion amplifier that was specifically designed for driving conventional magnetic speakers. Two years in development, the Magtech amplifier is that amplifier."

https://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp
"Q: What is the Difference between the ESL AMPLIFIER and the THE MAGTECH AMPLIFIER?"

https://sanderssoundsystems.com/frequently-asked-s
Here’s Roger’s reply to that question.

Turning directly to your question, understand that both my ESL and Magtech amps use the same special amplifier modules I designed to drive electrostatic speakers. The difference between the two is that ESL amps use a conventional, free-floating, unregulated power supply while Magtech amps use my unique, 100% efficient, linear, regulated power supply.

Magnetic speakers draw tremendous current from an amplifier and that causes the internal power supply voltages to fluctuate wildly and dramatically in response to the music (typically by about 30%). This reduces the power from the amp and causes the distortion and bias to be modulated by the music.

A regulated power supply maintains stable internal voltages at all times. This is a tremendous improvement over a free-floating power supply. All amplifiers should use regulators, but virtually none do because their designers have not figured out how to make a powerful regulator that doesn't waste vast amounts of heat. My regulator is unique in that it runs cold and wastes no heat. I offer virtually the only regulated power supply amplifier on today's market.

Electrostatic speakers operate on voltage, not current. So they don't cause major fluctuations in the internal voltages like magnetic speakers do. But they will still cause some voltage modulation and mains voltage is not stable either. So even electrostatic speakers will benefit from an amplifier with a regulated power supply.

A regulated power supply will provide the best performance, so most of my customers (even my electrostatic customers) opt for the Magtech. I only keep the ESL amp in my line-up because it costs less than a Magtech and so represents a tremendous value. Those customers for whom money is a major concern use the ESL amp instead of the Magtech.

So the answer to your question is that the Magtech amp is the best for all speakers because it not only has the electrostatic amplifier modules, but it also includes a regulated power supply. So unless money is a major concern where the value of the ESL amp is essential, I'd recommend the Magtech.”

Back