Which One???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I was introduced to Bryston, I was set on getting an Aragon.. their specs PLUS striking aesthetics had me salivating. But Bryston's presence in the Pro (studio) market convinced me... the warranty didn't hurt, either!
At the time, the Bryston was fairly more expensive. I only paid $4200 for my Aragon. If I'd had more spending money then the Bryston may have won out.

Here’s Roger’s reply to that question.

Turning directly to your question, understand that both my ESL and Magtech amps use the same special amplifier modules I designed to drive electrostatic speakers. The difference between the two is that ESL amps use a conventional, free-floating, unregulated power supply while Magtech amps use my unique, 100% efficient, linear, regulated power supply.

Magnetic speakers draw tremendous current from an amplifier and that causes the internal power supply voltages to fluctuate wildly and dramatically in response to the music (typically by about 30%). This reduces the power from the amp and causes the distortion and bias to be modulated by the music.

A regulated power supply maintains stable internal voltages at all times. This is a tremendous improvement over a free-floating power supply. All amplifiers should use regulators, but virtually none do because their designers have not figured out how to make a powerful regulator that doesn't waste vast amounts of heat. My regulator is unique in that it runs cold and wastes no heat. I offer virtually the only regulated power supply amplifier on today's market.

Electrostatic speakers operate on voltage, not current. So they don't cause major fluctuations in the internal voltages like magnetic speakers do. But they will still cause some voltage modulation and mains voltage is not stable either. So even electrostatic speakers will benefit from an amplifier with a regulated power supply.

A regulated power supply will provide the best performance, so most of my customers (even my electrostatic customers) opt for the Magtech. I only keep the ESL amp in my line-up because it costs less than a Magtech and so represents a tremendous value. Those customers for whom money is a major concern use the ESL amp instead of the Magtech.

So the answer to your question is that the Magtech amp is the best for all speakers because it not only has the electrostatic amplifier modules, but it also includes a regulated power supply. So unless money is a major concern where the value of the ESL amp is essential, I'd recommend the Magtech.”
MLH: Like many here, I spoke with Roger before purchasing my MagTech amp from him. I have two ML Summit X speakers and one ML Descent sub. Money was not an issue and he confidently recommended the MagTech. What a difference! I love this amp and the sound my system produces!

MLH: Like many here, I spoke with Roger before purchasing my MagTech amp from him. I have two ML Summit X speakers and one ML Descent sub. Money was not an issue and he confidently recommended the MagTech. What a difference! I love this amp and the sound my system produces!
That amp is a good buy considering today's inflated prices. I see it is $7000 now, and 500 Wpc at 8 ohms. If I was shopping for a nice 2 channel amp now, I'd get one I think. I'd love to hear one on my speakers.

Have been powering my Prodigies with a Bryston 4B-SST for well over a decade. That thing is built like a tank.

Welcome to the gang Michael.
That sounds like a great combination.
MLH: I will also add that the Sander Sampler CD contains some great songs that really show-off 3-D sound images and are great for testing different positioning and configuring! Thanks for the welcome, I have been a silent observer for many years...

MLH: I will also add that the Sander Sampler CD contains some great songs that really show-off 3-D sound images and are great for testing different positioning and configuring! Thanks for the welcome, I have been a silent observer for many years...
I would like to find the Sander Sampler CD. Can you provide more details...or a link?

I would like to find the Sander Sampler CD. Can you provide more details...or a link?
The CD came with my amp. You might reach out to Sanders' website to see if they can point you in the right direction...(?)

Here's a few of the selections that I think are the best: Stardust (Willie Nelson), Eleanor Rigby (Musica Nuda), Handel: Haec est Regina virinum, antiphon for soprano, strings, & continuo, HWV 235 Anne Sofie von Otter). What other songs do you all use to test/enjoy your sound set-up? One of my favorites is Cam Ye O'er Frae France (Steel Eye Span).

What other songs do you all use to test/enjoy your sound set-up?
I have a fairly long playlist of songs I use. But I use a couple songs to determine if the system is happy and healthy, amps like the speakers, and if the speakers are positioned well.

These two songs can sound very good if everything is working very well! But it's when they sound grating and harsh that they reveal something is wrong, and they can sound bad really easily. In the case of a friend's amps we tried out one day it was because they weren't working well with my Expressions, and it was a stark difference between his harsh sounding amps and my very smooth and lively sounding amps.

The songs are:
Romeo Void: Girl In Trouble
The Runaways: Cherry Bomb

I have a fairly long playlist of songs I use. But I use a couple songs to determine if the system is happy and healthy, amps like the speakers, and if the speakers are positioned well.

These two songs can sound very good if everything is working very well! But it's when they sound grating and harsh that they reveal something is wrong, and they can sound bad really easily. In the case of a friend's amps we tried out one day it was because they weren't working well with my Expressions, and it was a stark difference between his harsh sounding amps and my very smooth and lively sounding amps.

The songs are:
Romeo Void: Girl In Trouble
The Runaways: Cherry Bomb
How about the source you use when you judge. Do you stream, use CD, or maybe vinyl? I only stream these days.
I think the source can make a big difference too, and the particular recording/file itself.

How about the source you use when you judge. Do you stream, use CD, or maybe vinyl? I only stream these days.
I think the source can make a big difference too, and the particular recording/file itself.
I use the same source each time, which used to be disc (my buddies and I would arrive at stores with a stack of discs) but the last few years it's been on more easily portable digital media as FLAC files.

The source can make a difference in sound. I think the point is to use what one is used to, no matter which source type it is, and keep using that source type consistently.

I use the same source each time, which used to be disc (my buddies and I would arrive at stores with a stack of discs) but the last few years it's been on more easily portable digital media as FLAC files.

The source can make a difference in sound. I think the point is to use what one is used to, no matter which source type it is, and keep using that source type consistently.
Great point, about testing multiple systems. You want to keep everything the same but what you're testing.

Back