Top Gear MPH Car Show 2008 - NEC Birmingham

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 1964 4.5 litre Jag MkII shows where much of the S-Type styling came from, I think.

Attachments

• jag2.jpg
    jag2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
It does and Jaguar made it a selling point when they launched the "S", though I suspect that your photo is a MkII 4.2L - same basic engine as the E-type series 1.5/2 IIRC. BTW, your Ferrari is a 275 GTS and not a 225, which is an earlier and much different model.

Lovely photos. Wish I still had the '60s sports cars I used to own - bought and sold for a pittance vs. today's prices.:(

It does and Jaguar made it a selling point when they launched the "S", though I suspect that your photo is a MkII 4.2L - same basic engine as the E-type series 1.5/2 IIRC. BTW, your Ferrari is a 275 GTS and not a 225, which is an earlier and much different model.

Right in the case of the Ferrari - it is indeed a 275. However, that is a 4.5 litre Jag. I have another shot with the plaque but it suffers a bit from shake.

It's hard to photo hi-fi and cars in low light and NOT suffer from some shake now and then unless you use a flash - which has it's downsides too. Unless you get serious with a tripod, of course.

Justin, what kind of camera are you using? I find it easy to be steady with a SLR as you have a nice big lens to hold on to with your left hand, whereas with the tiny digital cameras available today there is nothing to help you hold the camera steady.

Cheap Samsung - NV24HD at £150. I bought it to take movies predominantly in HD while in HK, which it did superbly - and does so for 5+ hours with a 16GB card. CNET rate it really highly.

Right in the case of the Ferrari - it is indeed a 275. However, that is a 4.5 litre Jag. I have another shot with the plaque but it suffers a bit from shake.
Interesting. Mk II's were made with three engine variants - 2.4, 3.4 and 3.8L inline sixes. There are a number of firms who specialize in Jag restoration and upgrades, including better suspensions, brakes, engines and so forth, making virtually anything possible. I've seen a few MkI/MkII saloons with the 3.8L swapped for 4.2L I6, but I've never seen it done with the 4.5L V8.:eek:

RUR - if you're doubting, I'll post the pic when my wife stops watching the telly - the main PC is connected to the telly in the lounge, you see:) Probably why I post so much these days - it is so easy to flick between the two!

I have my eye on the Canon Rebel....one of these days !!

What SLR are you using now? I think I tried the trick of saving your pics and looking at the properties a couple of weeks ago - but to no avail - your camera doesn't comply with the standards for that. So?

What SLR are you using now? I think I tried the trick of saving your pics and looking at the properties a couple of weeks ago - but to no avail - your camera doesn't comply with the standards for that. So?
I don't have an SLR. I'm using a Fujifilm camera that my wife bought for $200 or so - the pocket variety.

RUR - if you're doubting, I'll post the pic when my wife stops watching the telly...
Not at all and I apologize if my choice of language made it seem so. What I'm suggesting is that the 4.5L engine was likely installed by one of the many Jaguar restoration/upgrade firms since, as near as I can ascertain, it was never factory original for this model car. This wouldn't be unusual e.g. a recent issue of Classic Cars featured a comparison of a factory XK120 with a restoration, done up with disc brakes, engine and suspension modifications and a host of other improvements. Such mods are often done to mimic an historical special edition or racing version, or simply to make these older cars better suited to modern driving conditions.

It's Ken, BTW.:ROFL:

We only get the Atom's over here as track cars, I don't think anyone has EPA/DOTed one anyway, but I could be wrong about that. I would NEVER be able to get in to one of them from the wheelchair and if I got in I certainly would never be able to get out! They are a cool idea though and w/ 500HP that would be an INSANE ride!

There was an episode of Top Gear shown recently where they had a Us vs Them competition, where "they" were the hosts of a German TV show like Top Gear.

One of the challenges was a 0.25 mile standard start race, which the 500 BHP Atom won by a large margin. To see something streak away from a Lambo that quickly was a pretty impressive sight!

Well, I just got this message from a "newb" who has just became a member just to PM me this:

"Hi 211
I just found your great pictures of my dino 246gts at the NEC. They are the best photos I've seen of the car at the show as it was quite difficult to get good shots with those lights. Do you have any more shots of the car? If so I would love to see them
Thanks
Dave"

It's nice that your efforts are appreciated sometimes - I'm quite touched...:)

Sadly, I think the answer is no, but at the very least I'll send him the high-res originals...

Last edited:
Oooops... sorry Dave, actually I have 4 pics off the Dino, not 2 and a bad one as I said in the PM. Here's another... just for you:)

Attachments

• dino3.jpg
    dino3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 72
Now this one is about as British as they come. No idea what it is, however... anyone old enough to remember:D or know? There's a challenge, enthusiasts!

Attachments

• brit1.jpg
    brit1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 75
It's a supercharged aka "Blower" Bentley.

It looks like the tail lights of an XK-120, though to be honest I couldn't tell if it's a 120 or XK-150 from that angle. :D

It looks like the tail lights of an XK-120, though to be honest I couldn't tell if it's a 120 or XK-150 from that angle. :D
The little smidge of a green car shown in the upper right of post 56? It's an Austin Healey. I owned a '62 3000 MkII back in the day.:ROFL:

Back