Too good to be true?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jem90

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have wanted to upgrade my Aerius for a long time now and i always check eBay and local used suppliers for any bigger Logans., I figure when the time is right something will turn up.

The other day I found a advert for a pair of factory sealed Summits in dark cherry for £1000 ! The guy must know they are worth more than this as he states in his advert the rrp was £12k.

Advert.

"BRAND NEW PAIR MARTIN LOGAN SUMMIT ELECTROSTAT SPEAKERS

Brand: MARTIN LOGAN Condition: New
Cabinet Color: Wood - Dark

YOU ARE BIDDING ON 1 BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED PAIR OF MARTIN LOGAN SUMMIT TOWER SPEAKERS THEY RETAIL FOR 12000.00 IN STORES AND ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY..

SPEAKERS WILL COME WITH RECIPT FROM FACTORY DEALER FOR WARRANTY.

COLOR IS DARK CHERRY
Price: £1000"

I think he has missed a zero of the price but i contacted him anyway and i have asked him if i can hear them. I thought at least this way i can inspect them and check serial numbers ect.
He replied this morning saying that he has dropped the off at isold and can he have my address so we can start the transaction.
I have never heard of isold before and there is not a UK version so the Logans must be coming from the States. So I know the psu will be incorrect but all this sounds a little fishy what do you guys think.

If he is in the US could i get the speakers delivered to one of you guys first? just in case I pay for 2 empty boxes to be shipped to the UK?

I'm just not sure about it what do you think I should do ?
:confused:

Matt.

Just a few more questions are the Summits still a current model if not how long could they have been standing for and why? Could this have a detrimental effect?
Also would there be a manufactures warranty and is it transferable?

He also tells me i have a 7 day return policy...that doesn't give me much time to get the speakers back to the US?

"After you receive the item you will have a 7 day return policy (starting the day you receive te item), in this time you will have to decide if you accept it or not. If you do then you will notify them that you accept it so they can send me the payment. If not, you will return the item in the exact conditions you have received it and they will give you a complete refund."

How can I try the speakers out and still return the item exactly how I received them? in a sealed condition?

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Stay away.

I agree. But, just for fun, let’s explore this a bit.

Does he have pictures?
Can he send you a copy of the receipt?
Where are they located?
What is the exact shipping cost?
Does he have a flawless eBay rating with many SALES for significant dollar amounts?
Can/will he list them on eBay AND setup buyer protection for up to $2,000?
Is he willing to let you send your own courier to pick them up?
Why is he not listing the Summits himself?

If any of these questions don't have solid answers you are in danger do not deal with him.

"ISOLD it" is an eBay drop and sell place so IF you deal directly with them NOT with their agent (they don't have any) and NOT with him you may be OK. I checked their current listings and they do have a few Logans but no Summits. Wait till they have them in their possession BEFORE talking about completing the transaction and then only discuss it with them AFTER you see the listing on eBay. They can setup a "buy it now" auction and tell you what the listing number is so you can get to it before anyone else can see it.

The more money he tries to save you by going around standard channels the more likely you'll get ripped.

Check here and follow their rules to the letter.

http://www.i-soldit.com/about_us.asp

Make sure you read their scam page to see if any look familiar to this.
Contact them (use the phone number listed on their web site) and tell them what's going down and see what they think. They should be more than happy to check things out.

Do NOT send money to anyone period. Especially avoid any type of money gram. Use PayPal and make sure the auction is covered up $2000.

Again, do not deal directly with him. One way or the other go through eBay AND make sure you are covered up to $2000.

Oh and one more thing... read everything above again and make sure you don't cut ANY corners.

Be safe and good luck,

Scott

Last edited:
Ok This is his correspondence so far...

First email.

"Thank you for your email.Before i answer to any of your questions i have to let you know that i am in holiday with my family. That`s not a problem because i can still handle the transaction.i left the item along with several other items in the iSOLD It custody because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home and i decided to sell this one before i get back because i need to sell it faster. So if you are still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately. Just let me know and i will explain all the details of the transaction...
Thanks"

Second email.

"I will make the transaction using i SOLD It services...i SOLD It is the best selling service on eBay. They are guaranteed and recommended by eBay because they verify the sellers that are members with them and you will also have a 7 day return policy.
If you haven`t used i SOLD It before I will explain how they work:
They already have the item in their custody packed, insured and ready for shipping. They will contact you with all the details of this sale (they will send you an invoice ) and with the
payment instructions. You will send the payment to one of their agents that is handling our
transaction and after that you will send them the payment information so they can verify It. I will have to make you aware of the fact that i don`t know the agent name because they change it in every transaction for security reasons. As soon as they do that the shipping process will start. After you receive the item you will have a 7 day return policy (starting the day you receive te item), in this time you will have to decide if you accept it or not. If you do then you will notify them that you accept it so they can send me the payment. If not, you will return the item in the exact conditions you ave received it and they will give you a complete refund.
So please give me your full name and shipping address so i can have them contact you regarding the transaction.
Regards"

This is all the information i have so far...

They don't have any agents. Check their web site. This sounds more and more like a scam they have listed there.

Tell him the only payment you can make is PayPal and that you will pay the 3%. (just have him add it to the price)
Tell him to go ahead and list them and your willing to pay the listing fee (but shouldn't have to).
Tell him to have 'ISOLD it' setup a 'buy it now' for you and give you the listing number.
Tell him you will contact 'ISOLD it' after you see the listing on eBay to make payment and shipping arangements.

If he balks at any of this send all this info the 'ISOLD it' and run.

If all this goes as planned you can sit down and decide if you really want to do it.
If you do decide to go forward then only deal with 'ISOLD it'.
You still may endup with boxes filled with dirt but 'ISOLD it' will give you your money back under their 7 day return policy.

Last edited:
Mr. Moderator, please forgive me for being blunt here. It's a scam of the highest order. Run away, don't walk! Run! Seen it too many times.

What is the address of this particular I-Sold-it store?

What is the address of this particular I-Sold-it store?

Treitz3 is obviously trying to put you off so he can score a pair instead!:D

OK, OK, only joking...

I think the best scammers won't try to sell at such ridiculously low prices... I have no respect for these "it's obviously a scam" scammers:D

YEA, RUN AWAY! Don't WALK, RUN! Be SURE and hold on to your wallet while you are running! I was scammed for $2k on ebay 6 or so years ago! Still ****ED ABOUT IT! Though a "friend" STOLE $5k from me 4 years prior to that! I should have learned my lesson about scammers and con men the first time!

If you are "biiding" it should be an auction...., anyway, watth out a bit, nigerians are invading the hifi and photo business also.....

Back