To Vista or Vantage or Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmancv

Reaction score
My budget says Vista but my heart says Vantage. I have never heard any Summits before but can they really be 'that' good? Do the Vantage and Summit use the same panel? How much difference is there between the Vista and Vantage panel? Is there a difference? I think I may have posed some of these questions before but I wanted to double-check. Thanks folks.

In smaller rooms and if money is an issue (when isnt it?) buy the Vantage. If you have a large room and want spl's that seem limitless, buy the Summits.

My budget says Vista but my heart says Vantage. I have never heard any Summits before but can they really be 'that' good? Do the Vantage and Summit use the same panel? How much difference is there between the Vista and Vantage panel? Is there a difference? I think I may have posed some of these questions before but I wanted to double-check. Thanks folks.

Vista and Vantage have same panel surface area, Summitt is larger. Is Summitt better, yes, but as I am discovering one can all but 'close the gap' between Vantage and Summitt by using the former and pairing up with a top flite subwoofer.

If your room is less than 300 sq ft then either a Vista or Vantage with sub combo is a very...very good option indeed.

You can't lose with any of those. If possible, try to do an A/B comparison with YOUR music between the Vista and Vantage. The Vantages have a better bottom end with their powered woofers. If possible, after that test maybe you can audition the Vista and something like the ML Dynamo and see how that sounds compared to the Vantage alone.

As the old Sage (aka Dave aka twich54) said: you can make up the difference with a good sub and I'll add their are other small advantages/tweaks you can perform when you take them home:

1) Speaker placement
2) Speaker spikes
3) listening position (sort of tied to speaker placement)

Erik

Vista and Vantage have same panel surface area, Summitt is larger. Is Summitt better, yes, but as I am discovering one can all but 'close the gap' between Vantage and Summitt by using the former and pairing up with a top flite subwoofer.

If your room is less than 300 sq ft then either a Vista or Vantage with sub combo is a very...very good option indeed.

Agreed, though I think your best bet would be to get Vista + used descent or depth, (which would come out to around the cost of vantage) If you have extra budget...then get the vantage + sub instead...

I think the vista + ml servo sub is your best value by far.

Agreed, though I think your best bet would be to get Vista + used descent or depth, (which would come out to around the cost of vantage) If you have extra budget...then get the vantage + sub instead...

I think the vista + ml servo sub is your best value by far.

Aye. Vista + used ML dynamo would be a great place to start IMO.

In answer to your question if Summits are that good,YES!
When I first listened to them at a factory reps house, I was stunned. My son and I could just sit and grin at each other. It was as close to a religious experience as I can imagine. If budget and listening room allow, indeed go for the Summits.

Many Thanks

Many thanks folks, I appreciate your input. I'm not a big fan of mixing the sub (powered) with the speaker, I would rather place it somewhere else. I really can't go the summits but the Vantage and Vista may be do-able. I have two Definitive Technologies Supercube II's that I am going to place behind my TV (Such an archaic term isn't it?) and the second behind the couch in the rear of the room. I am using seven Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for power so I don't think they will want for juice. I may be coming into a settlement soon and if that's the case I'll be powering these babies with a Mac 207, what the heck, I'm almost housebound anyway.
Take Care

If you're set on Logans but are ambivalant about which model, consider the Vantage as the highest model to aim for unless budget constraints prevent that. The reason I'm thinking of is, because as a vantage owner, I'm finding out just how lacking my head equipment is. Knowing component upgrades are just a matter of when, not why, for me, I can just imagine the dissapointment of learning this after dropping 10 grand fot the summits. This is not a putdown of the ML speakers, as they may well make any head equipment sound better, just a realistic outlook of what I've (and probably many of us here) will be willing to go through top get the most out of our equipment.

If you're set on Logans but are ambivalant about which model, consider the Vantage as the highest model to aim for unless budget constraints prevent that. The reason I'm thinking of is, because as a vantage owner, I'm finding out just how lacking my head equipment is. Knowing component upgrades are just a matter of when, not why, for me, I can just imagine the dissapointment of learning this after dropping 10 grand fot the summits. This is not a putdown of the ML speakers, as they may well make any head equipment sound better, just a realistic outlook of what I've (and probably many of us here) will be willing to go through top get the most out of our equipment.
Beakman is right. When I decided to upgrade from my Ascents to Summits, I only allocated 50% of my upgrade budget to the Summits (which I bought used), with the rest going to a Sunfire pre-processor and amp (the TGP-5 and TGA-7400). From experience, I knew that significantly upgrading the quality of the speakers would magnify any weak points within the system.

Back