To Vantage Or Not...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently using Ascent I's as my front's, Theater I, Descent and Scripts.

I am considering changing the Ascent's to Vantages - my question is, is this a worthwhile upgrade? Unfortunately I am not able to afford the Summits (or if I did, divorce would be inevitable!)

What are people's opinions?

Thanks for your input
Marc.

I haven't heard the Ascents, so I can't really comment on how much of an upgrade it would be for you.

However, were you planning on selling or keeping the Ascents? Ascents look like they go for about $2,000-$2,500 on Audiogon--if you were to sell them and add that money to the amount you were going to spend on Vantages, that should give you enough cash to pick up a used pair of Summits.

When I made side by side comparison between the Ascent and Vantage, I found the Vantage to have better bass, better integration between the woofer and esl panels, more natural treble, and an overall fuller sound. I heard them at two different dealer showrooms.

I love my Vantage's and If you were to hear the same things Yogibear spoke as far as a comparison then "pull the trigger". What is the size of your room ??? I know the Summitt owners may not agree but if the room is small ( 200sq ft or less) the Vantage's really don't give up much at all. Especially if your upstream componetry and room accoustics are superior !!

When I listened to the Vantage and Summit side by side in the store I thought the Vantage actually was better integrated than the Summit but I didn't look to see what the bass settings were on either speaker.

Hi Guys,

Well I will have to sell the Ascent's to pay for the Vantage's, so at the moment there is no way I can get the Summit's.

My room is quite small - around 14*8ft, so I think the Vantage's will work. I think I will arrange a home demo :)

Thanks for the replies
Marc.

Hi Guys,

Well I will have to sell the Ascent's to pay for the Vantage's, so at the moment there is no way I can get the Summit's.

My room is quite small - around 14*8ft, so I think the Vantage's will work. I think I will arrange a home demo :)

Thanks for the replies
Marc.

Good move Marc, Summitts would be overkill in such a small space !!

Yeh, but still would be nice to have :) Never mind, I suppose Vantage's would be a good upgrade :)
Marc.

Tradeoff with electronics?

Hi,

I love the Vantages as they were the speakers that turned me to Martin Logans. However, I chose the Ascents when I realized that for the price of the Vantages I was able to purchase the Ascents and some nice electronics that surpassed the sound if I was to spend on the Vantages alone and run them with my crappy equipment.

My 2 cents is that if you sell your Ascents and get the Vantages you will have to pony up $2,000-2500. What electronics are you running? Can you get a better surround processor for that money? Maybe a nice Bryston that will make your Ascents sound much better than they do with your existing equipment.

The Vantages are great, but diminishing returns kick in. Maybe you can get greater bang for the buck by focusing on the other equipment.

HI David,

My equipment that I am running is pretty good and tbh I would not upgrade - Theta Compli, Krell HTS 7.1 and Krell Showcase 5 amplifier.

What was your feelings between the two speakers?
Thanks
Marc

HI David,

My equipment that I am running is pretty good and tbh I would not upgrade - Theta Compli, Krell HTS 7.1 and Krell Showcase 5 amplifier.

What was your feelings between the two speakers?
Thanks
Marc

I love the Vantages. I bought the Ascents plus a bunch of other excellent electonics for the price of new Vantages.

If your other electronics are good, and money is not a concern, go for it!!!

...I know the Summitt owners may not agree but if the room is small ( 200sq ft or less) the Vantage's really don't give up much at all. Especially if your upstream componetry and room accoustics are superior !!

I actually do agree. In smaller rooms the Vantage gives very little up to the Summit. But in larger rooms and with superior electronics, the Summit comes into it's own and leaves most competitors in it's wake.

I actually do agree. In smaller rooms the Vantage gives very little up to the Summit. But in larger rooms and with superior electronics, the Summit comes into it's own and leaves most competitors in it's wake.

Hearing the Vantages in the same small room as my Summits, I will have to respectfully disagree. I heard the two with the same equipment right next to each other at the dealers room and my bedroom (not at same time) and the difference was apparent in the centerfill. Worth the double in price? If you account for the bass extension and overall improvement in center fill and coherence, it probably is considering I feel that there are less tangible improvements between other manufacturer's product lines from their second best to their best.... take for example BW. The BW802D is $8000 cheaper than the 800D and the difference is a slight extension and a bit of coherence due to xo....

That said, the Vantages are awesome!

I heard the two with the same equipment right next to each other at the dealers room and my bedroom (not at same time) and the difference was apparent in the centerfill. QUOTE]

That dealer set-up you refered to Joey sounds like a "Tweeter" demo, no self respecting or for that matter knowledgable dealer would ever have more than the pair of speakers you are auditioning in the room at the same time. Besides in a "small" room, when properly set-up I doubt very much if there is a "centerfill" problem with the Vantage's !!

twich54 said:
That dealer set-up you refered to Joey sounds like a "Tweeter" demo, no self respecting or for that matter knowledgable dealer would ever have more than the pair of speakers you are auditioning in the room at the same time. Besides in a "small" room, when properly set-up I doubt very much if there is a "centerfill" problem with the Vantage's !!

Nope, Dave... not a Tweeter demo at all. The dealer is University Audio in Madison, Wisconsin. We ran MF KW series, A5 series, and we also ran some Krells through the two speakers.

Though I have heard both at Tweeter also, but no self respecting audiophile would base it on that type of an audition.

Joey :cheers:

Hearing the Vantages in the same small room as my Summits, I will have to respectfully disagree. I heard the two with the same equipment right next to each other at the dealers room and my bedroom (not at same time) and the difference was apparent in the centerfill. Worth the double in price? If you account for the bass extension and overall improvement in center fill and coherence, it probably is considering I feel that there are less tangible improvements between other manufacturer's product lines from their second best to their best.... take for example BW. The BW802D is $8000 cheaper than the 800D and the difference is a slight extension and a bit of coherence due to xo....

That said, the Vantages are awesome!

Hmmm. Interesting. Our differing observations may very well be influenced by room interactions.

I have not actually demo'd the speakers with the same electronics, room etc - and tbh I am not sure I want to - it will probably only show me what I can't have, but really would like!!

Hopefully the demo with the Vantages will be arranged for sometime next week - it will be a home demo so I will be able to compare my Ascent's with the Vanatge's in a straight swap. I will report back my findings

Rgds
Marc.

I have not actually demo'd the speakers with the same electronics, room etc - and tbh I am not sure I want to - it will probably only show me what I can't have, but really would like!!

Hopefully the demo with the Vantages will be arranged for sometime next week - it will be a home demo so I will be able to compare my Ascent's with the Vanatge's in a straight swap. I will report back my findings

Rgds
Marc.

What you will notice is coherence throughout the frequency range and a better controlled top-end on the Vantages. Sibilance should be nullified (per electronics, of course) and a more natural (er.... ease) sonic reproduction is what I noticed between the two.

Good luck and report back! :D

Dave's room and Vantages

I heard the two with the same equipment right next to each other at the dealers room and my bedroom (not at same time) and the difference was apparent in the centerfill. QUOTE]

Hi Dave,

Looks like your room is about the same as mine: 14.5 x 21 x 9. How do you feel the Vantages perform within these dimensions? The Summits seem to shine in mid-size to larger rooms like this.

Last edited:
Back