To change or not to change CLS IIz panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclone

Reaction score
I have a pair of CLS IIZs that have their original panels from 1992 they sound great, the sound has good balance from speaker to speaker I really don't have any complaints at all but I can't help but wonder what I might be missing if I repaneled them.
I'm not totally new at repaneling Logans I did so to my pair of Sequel IIs but as I recall I wasn't happy at the time with the sound of the old panels they seemed to sound veiled which installing the new panels lifted.
I wanted to see if anyone out there has been in the same situation with CLSs and had changed the panels out and what differences did it make. Can 1992 panels still be as good as brand new ones?

Last edited:
I had the same question concerning my Quests that date from 1993. The concensus seems to be tilted 99% towards a change and that I would have new sound.

I also have an even balance and everything seems to be working perfectly as these babies were so well taken care of that I even wondered if they were used at all! However, it seems that age is a factor with Martin Logan and that panels wear out slowly over time. I only wish I had a reference to what they are "supposed" to sound like! That is probably the only problem with these speakers considering many of us buy them second hand. Obviously they need more maintenance considering the panels and numerous electronic parts but are well worth it for the sound they offer. "Normal" speakers will last longer but in my opinion you would have to pay double for the same soundstage!

I am going to change them within the next month and then I will be able to let people know.

I have a pair of CLS IIZs that have their original panels from 1992 they sound great, the sound has good balance from speaker to speaker I really don't have any complaints at all but I can't help but wonder what I might be missing if I repanneled them. Can 1992 panels still be as good brand new ones?
First, without comment, here is Jim Power's response to my almost identical inquiry:

To: Jim Power
Subject: had another question

On a different note, I've had the panels in my IIz's now since I think 1993, when you replaced them because the damping patches fell off the originals. They sound great (I think -- meaning I wouldn't have noticed gradual deterioration over such a long time.) I did the bass stretch w/ a heat gun (works better than a hair dryer cause you can move faster) but frankly, they weren't buzzing or anything. And the membranes don't seem dirty although if you look real closely thru the stators, you can see little dust deposits (I guess they are) in the pattern of the stator holes - they don't come off with vacuuming. Are these a problem? Should I wash the panels? (seems like a hassle) or just order new ones at this point? Can the panels still be OK after all this time?

Neil

my system here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=515

To: Neil Golden
Subject: re: had another question

Hi Neil,
The panels probably do have a minor accumulation of dust and whatnot. That is the normal pattern of accumulation to follow the holes. However dust is only a factor when you also have humidity. Dust by itself is of no real consequence. It requires the humidity for it to become conductive. Tucson doesn’t strike me as a humidity Mecca by a long shot. I think it is absolutely of no consequence in your situation. I have seen 20 year old panels test perfectly with low humidity. Still if you are interested, we can certainly replace them. They are still $890/pair and include a 5 year warranty. We always try to keep a fresh pair on the shelf. We just build them as the need arises. Let me know if I can help.
Have a good weekend.

jp

There can be other problems with old panels (the membranes actually) which Jim didn't mention in his email to me, like corrosion at the contact edges and deterioration of the electro-conductive coating; but those are also related to the presence of humidity.

If they still are within 1 db with a white noise test disc then run um. Chances of them dropping at the same rate are rare. If your highs are good call it a day ahve a beer and wait untill you really need them.

Back