This speaker bit me!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M109ken

Reaction score
Just bought a used pair Of Aerius 1's. Hooked them up and no high frequencies out of one speaker. Ran my hand across the back of the panel and got a pretty good shock. Felt like a bad spark plug wire. I'm sure a few of you are laughing by now! And probably know what's wrong. I've been shocked worse. My main concern, is how do I fix the speaker?

Last edited:
Best to call Martin Logan for trouble shooting, they have great service dept.

Sounds like a wiring issue between the panel and the ESL step-up board. The diagphragm energizer voltage is present on the rear stator, so you got like 3,000v at some very small amperage, which will sting!

Look for threads and videos of dissasembling an older Gen1 ESL speaker and look for the three wires comming from the inside of the unit and where they connect to the ESL panel, one or more of them is not connected to the right places. Could be at the terminal block is somone unfamiliar with the speakers tried to mess with them, or more likley, the diaphragm energizer wire got loose at the panel and is touching the rear stator.

Back