Theos are in!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Theos sound much better now that I switched from a Sony ES 6400 AVR to a Marantz 8801 pre/pro and Parasound Halo A 51 amp. I switched to the amp first and noticed an immediate improvement in dynamics, headroom, and overall musical accuracy. The 8801 added further improvement through its Audyssey room correction circuitry. (The Sony has a far less sophisticated version of that type of circuitry.) That combo, however, costs about 6X your budget! (That's list price: I got a pretty good deal on both.)

Guitarist, as far as receivers go, the Denon and Marantz range seem to drive Martin Logan's quite well. I've never heard the Parasound A 51. This would be an interesting option, as would the Anthem A2 (which I have heard and liked).

I am going to try and grab this A5.5 that just popped up on fleabay. No reserve and high feedback seller. If I can score it at a good price I'll be under budget and bump up to double the power and a newer model. I passed on Rogue Audio Tempest Magnum but it was awful tempting. I have always wanted to try a tube am but I'm afraid I won't like the drop in power.

Don't rule out Krell amplification until you can audition them with your speakers if at all possible. I run all Krell amps with my ML's and absolutely love them! They sound incredible with almost endless power. I run the KSA 300s amp on my sl3's and the KAV 250/a3 for center and surround duty with great results. Krell amps have always been a good match with ML speakers but of course I am also a bit biased!

Back