The road to madness... A second Descent on the way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Like Lay's potato chips, I couldn't do with only one.

After getting everything really dialed in, the consensus was that the CLX's really need the 2nd Descent in my room, so it's on the way! This should be crazy when it gets here....

I'll keep you posted.

Right now we're all considering a move to hi-fi journalism. Seems to be the way to a de(s)cent system:)

My magazine will be available soon and is called PubTone:D. You can contribute for a fee if you like, Jeff:)

BTW: I got addicted to Lay's Guacomole whilst in NYC!

That outta give you some serious bottom end !! :rocker:

~VDR

Like Lay's potato chips, I couldn't do with only one.

After getting everything really dialed in, the consensus was that the CLX's really need the 2nd Descent in my room, so it's on the way! This should be crazy when it gets here....

I'll keep you posted.

Is that a reflection on the bass of the CLX or is it you?:devil:

Is that a reflection on the bass of the CLX or is it you?:devil:

The CLX is not a full range speaker. The quality of the bass that it produces is quite phenominal, but if you are listening to music with serious content in the 20-35hz region (techno, Hip Hop, large scale orchestral, pipe organ, etc.) you will need the sub.

The review will be up next month....

We just all felt like we should take the CLX setup all the way, seeing I have the room to permit it. The other guys (HiFi+ and TAS) did not go this direction, so I think it will be a fun review to investigate the CLX from that perspective.

I was thinking of getting another pair of Descents to spike on top of the two I will soon have and get a mini-Statement thing going...

Just kidding.

The CLX is not a full range speaker. The quality of the bass that it produces is quite phenominal, but if you are listening to music with serious content in the 20-35hz region (techno, Hip Hop, large scale orchestral, pipe organ, etc.) you will need the sub.

And so the--ahem--descent into audio madness starts! :)

The review will be up next month....

We just all felt like we should take the CLX setup all the way, seeing I have the room to permit it. The other guys (HiFi+ and TAS) did not go this direction, so I think it will be a fun review to investigate the CLX from that perspective.

Agreed; I'm very intersted in reading this review (and that of the Spires)!

I was thinking of getting another pair of Descents to spike on top of the two I will soon have and get a mini-Statement thing going...

Just kidding.

So says you! :)

Seriously, please post pics when you're done.

That is real interesting. I too decided to order 2 Descent i subs for my CLXs. But I wanted to go a step further. I talked to my dealer about getting a seond set of CLXs for the rear channels and a second set of Descent i subs for the rear as well. Unfortunately he convinced me that such a set-up poses a serious health risk......something about head skulls being crushed or was it brain matter being transformed in the middle of 4 standing waves or something like that. But you know one thing about CLXs they tend to trick you into thinking too much of a good thing can't be bad right?;)

Jeff would you run one sub per channel, or would each sub get the both the L/R signals?

Thanks this is good to know. I was thinking of adding another sub to my system and was unsure of the hookup.

Multi-channel music

For 5.1 music won't you need a third Descent i for the LFE channel.:music:

The road to madness has no end.:devil:

subX2

toneup: what type of processor are you using so you are able to have two subs one per channel?

toneup: what type of processor are you using so you are able to have two subs one per channel?

Im not using any kind of processor. I have a dedicated 2ch system. One set of preamp line outs go to the respective subs and the other set go to my power amplifier.

I don't have the second one yet, and will have to check with ML, but I'm assuming that either I'll use a Y adaptor for the line level inputs or plug each channel into the LFE input.

Jeff,

As I am sure you know, there are several Receiver/Integrated Amps out there that you can use a a Pre-AMP and they have Stereo Sub hook ups built in. You can then use your amps for power and you can always go Multi-channel 5.2 or 7.2 if you have the right source to plug into your Pre-AMP. I would think just for shats and giggles you might try listening to your CLXs in a multi-channel environment....for journalistic reasons of course. Not that you would ever condone such behavior personally.

Jeff,

As I am sure you know, there are several Receiver/Integrated Amps out there that you can use a a Pre-AMP and they have Stereo Sub hook ups built in. You can then use your amps for power and you can always go Multi-channel 5.2 or 7.2 if you have the right source to plug into your Pre-AMP. I would think just for shats and giggles you might try listening to your CLXs in a multi-channel environment....for journalistic reasons of course. Not that you would ever condone such behavior personally.

My room really isn't set up for multichannel use and we just don't cover that world. I have absolutely no expertise in that world.

Im not using any kind of processor. I have a dedicated 2ch system. One set of preamp line outs go to the respective subs and the other set go to my power amplifier.

I don't have the second one yet, and will have to check with ML, but I'm assuming that either I'll use a Y adaptor for the line level inputs or plug each channel into the LFE input.

Plug the output of your preamp into either the right or left (red or white) inputs on the Descent. The LFE input bypasses the crossover and you do not want to do that in a 2ch setup. You could also run a set of jumpers from the CLX inputs to the speaker level input on the Descent as well. It is a high impedance input and has very little (negligible) effect on the signal to the CLX.

Thanks for the help! That's what I get for not reading the manual...

I'll just go in line level then...

Sounds like your set up is just like mine. Right now I'm using the RCA analogue outs on my KPS CD/PRE Right/Left to the corresponding inputs on the sub.(Its a single that sums both channels but it sounds better this way:cool:) That way you are not using the subs X-over to roll your mains off. The CLX will roll of naturally by them selves. Just set the Decent to CLX on the X-over on the sub and WALLA.. I tried a y splitter with both channels summed. It did not sound as good as when both right and left were feeding it. As for your two I would try it with a splitter. R from pre to Sub input with Y to both right and left on the sub and the same for the left sub. I do not know If ML sums both channels internally. Most sub amps do just that. If that is the case Run the one RCA from the Right pre to the Right sub and the same to the Left sub.

I am not a big fan of speaker leads to a sub. I rarely have seen a subs X-over not part sound to a system I liked!

I am contemplating a new design or go all out assault with twin IB with fully balanced set up. I have the room , its just the balls to cut two holes behind the CLS and "DO IT in Starsky's voice.,DO IT ......DO IT .....":ROFL:

Pity Jeff. The world of Multi-channel is definitely different than two channel. One thing is that you can listen to something both as a multi-channel experience and then turn around and do it as a two channel experience and see which you prefer. Some mixes are better and some worse. Some surround modes are better than others. Basicly you can go back and forth. Alas with 2 channel you can not do this. And if Ethan is watching I can guarantee that in a blind test you can tell the difference between two channel and multi-channel and subsequently which sounds better to you or rather whether listening to two channel is a better experience for you than an immersive 5.2 channel or 7.2 channel experience. Just kidding Ethan, you are probably a multi-channel guy anyway.;)

Back