The replacement for the Spire is called Montis.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S P E C I F I C A T I O N S
Frequency Response
29 – 23,000 Hz ±3dB
Horizontal Dispersion
30°
Vertical Dispersion
44” (112 cm) line source
High Frequency Transducer
XStat™ CLS™ electrostatic transducer
» Panel Dimensions
44” x 11.3” (111.8 x 28.7cm)
» Radiating Area
497 in2 (3,209 cm2)
Low Frequency Transducer
10” (25.4 cm) cast basket, high excursion,
aluminum cone with extended throw drive assembly
Amplifier
Woofer: 200 watts/channel (4 ohms)
Sensitivity
91 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance
4 Ohms, 0.52 at 20kHz. Compatible with
4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers
Recommended Amplifier Power
20 – 500 watts per channel
Crossover Frequency
340Hz
Components
Custom-wound audio transformer,
air core coils, polypropylene capacitors, DSP based
pre-amplifier (used with woofer amplifier)
Bass Controls
±10dB under 100 Hz
Lighting
LED intensity control; ON, DIM, OFF
Inputs
Custom 5-way binding posts
Power Draw
Standby: <1W/channel. Max: 200W/channel
Weight
58 lbs. (26.3 kg)
Dimensions
59.3” x 12.7” x 18”
(150.5 cm x 32.2 cm x 45.7 cm)
Specifications are subject to change without notice.

Just got brand new Spires less than a month ago for less than half-price. I believe the difference with the Montis is the additional 24-bit digital EQ system introduced earlier in the lower end Ethos models to artificially extend the low frequency end of the woofer. The Spires woofers naturally extends to 29Hz naturally but the Montis uses EQ to reach that target 29Hz frequency. Also the bass controls are different. The Spire has them at 35Hz and the Montis at 100Hz. As to whether this improves the sound over the original, non-EQ based Spire, I do not know. But last night, i played Michael Buble's BD Jazz concert("Caught in the Act") and my or my, it was heavenly. The bass was fluid and vocals and the orchestra were superb. Now my Spires are crossed at 60Hz and my dual subs take over from there down to below 20Hz. I made sure i phase aligned the sound of the subs with the mains around the crossover frequency to ensure a smooth transition from mains to sub. I also used ARC, the EQ system in my Anthem D2v pre-pro to equalize the imperfections of my room up to the default 5KHz frequency.

As i said before, the sound was simply superb and simply revealing, the best in my HT ever! I can't image how the Montis could sound any better.
(Now, if i can get used to the turn off thumps, all would be super!)

Last edited:
Looks like a Spire with a different adjustment knob and the Ethos' DSP.

Able to reveal every subtle nuance of recorded sound with unflinching accuracy,
Montis’ ultra-rigid AirFrame, CLS™ XStat transducer and 24-bit Vojtko DSP
engine deliver performance with magical precision and dynamics.
Housed within an ultra-rigid, extruded aluminum composite AirFrame™, Montis’ CLS™ (Curvilinear Line
Source) XStat™ transducer builds upon MartinLogan’s nearly 30-year legacy of providing the highest quality
electrostatic products. Advanced MicroPerf stator technology gives the latest-generation CLS™ electrostatic
transducer almost twice as much exposed diaphragm surface, translating into higher efficiency and an
effortless and unlimited dynamic presentation. The XStat pulls no punches.
Montis uses an extremely precise 24-bit Vojtko™ DSP engine in conjunction with a
powerful 200-watt class-D amplifier to deliver a stunningly detailed low-frequency
performance reaching down to 29Hz—uncommon in cabinets this compact. Additionally,
integrated low-frequency equalization below 100Hz further enhances bass performance
by allowing precise tailoring to adjust for individual room acoustics....

This is what the add of ML says regarding the Montis...

Last edited:
Looks like a Spire with a different adjustment knob and the Ethos' DSP.

Yup indeed :D!!! Since the Montis's woofer is artificially extended down to 29Hz, it wouldn't make sense to place the adjustment knob at 35Hz as in the Spires for this would mess up the DSP based EQ system they have with a greater risk of bottoming out the woofer. Placing the center of the adjustment knob at 100Hz, like the Ethos prevents this from happening. Regardless of how one feels about DSP EQ'd woofers or not, I hope they sound just as superb as the Spires do.

Last edited:
Able to reveal every subtle nuance of recorded sound with unflinching accuracy,
Montis’ ultra-rigid AirFrame, CLS™ XStat transducer and 24-bit Vojtko DSP
engine deliver performance with magical precision and dynamics.
Housed within an ultra-rigid, extruded aluminum composite AirFrame™, Montis’ CLS™ (Curvilinear Line
Source) XStat™ transducer builds upon MartinLogan’s nearly 30-year legacy of providing the highest quality
electrostatic products. Advanced MicroPerf stator technology gives the latest-generation CLS™ electrostatic
transducer almost twice as much exposed diaphragm surface, translating into higher efficiency and an
effortless and unlimited dynamic presentation. The XStat pulls no punches.
Montis uses an extremely precise 24-bit Vojtko™ DSP engine in conjunction with a
powerful 200-watt class-D amplifier to deliver a stunningly detailed low-frequency
performance reaching down to 29Hz—uncommon in cabinets this compact. Additionally,
integrated low-frequency equalization below 100Hz further enhances bass performance
by allowing precise tailoring to adjust for individual room acoustics....

This is what the add of ML says regarding the Montis...

But this is the marketing department saying these things... Would you expect anything else?

I listened to the new speaker today at CEDIA in Indianapolis. Peter Soderberg from ML had them hooked up in their nice listening room today powered by 2 massive Macintosh Monoblocks and he was using his Ipad and a benchmark DAC and another box to stream music. These speakers sounded incredible as you would expect from Martin Logan. Very dynamic, airy, powerful etc. Peter made a funny statement saying something to the effect "these are NOT BOX SPEAKERS" - he was so right! Everyone else in the show was playing their box speakers and the Montis blew all of them away!

On a side note i was at a Paradigm demo of their new $800 "tower" speakers and the sales rep played a song that supposedly everyone has heard a million times before (except me) and mentioned " I have never heard this song sound so good in my life! It does not get any better than this, ..." My jaw dropped when I heard how terrible their stuff sounded and I could not wait to find the ML booth! I told them my story and we shared a few laughs to say the least!

Yeah that finish it gorgeous, just wish it was available when I ordered my Theos :/, but the Zebra Wood is still great!

I hope it stays good if placed in direct sunlight, pink might be a bit off-putting after a couple of years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes description is absolutely same 'xcept Crossover frequency and DSP Bass mod including Class D amplifier for same spec woofer. Class D amp should be beneficial for bass speed as well DSP addition. Still loving my Spires even in comparison with recent live unamplified concert at Edinburgh Festival - Xufei Yang solo classical Guitar. Bought three of her CDs ..more detail at home, Spires slightly over bright compared with live reference. Would that slight discrepancy be increased with Montis?
Incidentally Rubikon sub chassis is fantastic for any fellow Linn LP12 owners - musical detailed fast and neutral.. Addictive!!

I hope it stays good if placed in direct sunlight, pink might be a bit off-putting after a couple of years!

I know of not one self respecting Logan owner that would subject his or her speakers to placement in direct sunlight

One would certainly hope not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back