The Really Tasty Gear Thread - With Pictures!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool - interesting. In that last picture, those speakers look pretty nice to be wearing a wickedly nasty "Technics" badge!

Agreed, though HFN have just given a really good review to some Pioneer floorstanders, which I thought equally odd...:D

His whole Japan blog is worth a read: http://www.avguide.com/blogs/jonathan-valin. Don't miss the Audio Teckne horns (Flash Gordon design) - and read the text associated with it. Pic below - note they appear to be attached to the rafters!

Jeff - what do you know?

Attachments

• horns.jpg
    horns.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Thales parallel tracker - not so much tasty as curious...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 487
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 489
Curious alright - I don't quite understand how it works?

That outrigger arm changes the cartridge offset so that the stylus is parallel to the groove across the record. So although the arm describes an arc across the record, the cartridge remains parallel to the grooves at all times, in theory.

That outrigger arm changes the cartridge offset so that the stylus is parallel to the groove across the record. So although the arm describes an arc across the record, the cartridge remains parallel to the grooves at all times, in theory.

Oh, I see - thanks.......and I guess so much for rigidity? Wonder how it sounds?

Somewhat like the Garrard Zero 100? IIRC one of the problems with that arm was the friction due to so many bearings.

Actually, the B&W picture was supposed to be an animated gif, that shows you how it works. Not sure why it didn't and I'm not going to look into it since everyone knows now anyway.

My view is it is probably a little too complex/fragile for it's own good. As for rigidity, it seems like a great goal, but as Well Tempered have proved in the past, even that rule can be broken and a TT can still return a great performance.

The only way to know is to listen to one, as ever...

More TT tonearm insanity. Take a closer look. Yup - it is what you think it is.

It's either :ROFL: or :cool:, I think:)

Attachments

• Horoturntable.jpg
    Horoturntable.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Violin bow tonearms aside, check these out.

No idea what they are, but they are cool. If you know what they are - please post!

Attachments

• josh-4.jpg
    josh-4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 407
You know, looking at those speakers and the associated electronics, it looks that that owner has some pretty esoteric gear.

But what REALLY caught my eye was the appalling art on the walls. They look like he stole them from a Southern California Super-8 Hotel. WTF? :confused:

If the art on his wall reflects this owner's aesthetic sensibilities, then I imagine that rig must sound something like a Bose 3-2-1 system... :ROFL:

--Richard

Rocket Nozzles from the Saturn V.

Worthy of some British respect. So here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03cy86u6Wi4&feature=related

One of my favourite songs of all time. Shame about the SQ but turn it up...

Unfortunately, that was easily the best song they ever wrote.

Obligatory lyrics:

Lady take a ride on a Zeke 64, Jerry wants to be a rockette
That's a popular misconception, says we haven't seen anything yet
Laying down the lifeless corpse of President 35
The lady crying by his side is the most beautiful woman alive

SATURN 5, YOU REALLY WERE THE GREATEST SIGHT
STRETCHING OUT ON A SUMMER'S DAY
HOUSTON, IT'S CALLING ME BACK TO HER

Lady take a ride on a Zeke 64, Jerry wants to be a rockette
That's a popular misconception, says we haven't seen anything yet
Laying down the lifeless corpse of President 35
The lady crying by his side is the most beautiful woman alive