The Really Tasty Gear Thread - With Pictures!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Clockwork Orange

Let's not forget the Transcriptors TT used in "A Clockwork Orange", the movie that got me started on classical music.

Attachments

• Transcriptors.jpg
    Transcriptors.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,035
:music: A/B or A selectable

Attachments

• SA102-SIT.jpg
    SA102-SIT.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2,388
  • SA102-SIB.jpg
    SA102-SIB.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,580
Here's something for Adam (Amey01)

Love that ARC stuff !

Attachments

• AR%20610T.jpg
    AR%20610T.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,207
Bob Carver's most recent project--point-to-point hand-wired tube monoblocks. These little beauties have 6 KT-88's per side, and sound SUPER sweet. I got to hear them driving a pair of Carver Amazing Platinum's at CarverFest last fall, and they were astoundingly musical. I wanted to hook them up to my Scenario's which I'd brought along in a sort of mini-Dreamer rig, but we sort of ran out of time...

Considering how sweet they sounded with the Plats, I imagine they'd sound wonderful with Martin Logans. It has been my experience that most amps that can drive the Plats and sound good will also drive big Martin Logans with equal finesse and musicality.

Bob actually donated these at CarverFest as a raffle prize. One of our lucky members from MD won them...

Bob also had offered another pair of these beauties on EBAY in May of 2008. You can still see the original listing, which has more pics and a LOT more technical info, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...180305559279&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1

MMMMM... Tuuuuubes....

Attachments

• CarverTube-1.jpg
    CarverTube-1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,287
  • CarverTube-2.jpg
    CarverTube-2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,240
  • CarverTube-3.jpg
    CarverTube-3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,318
Last edited:
The SpJ La Luce CS Centoventi. Ya gotta love this one. And yes guys, designed by a woman.

I think this table was in the Tomb Raider movie.

Doug - out

Over priced, very difficult to set up and sound is very underwhelming for 60K. George Cardas used to import them...

Don't think he was ever able to sell one.

Now that Metronome is a very nice sounding CD player. Definitely one of the best!

Here are some HUGE Master Reference amps stacked none the less ! Each one capable of 16,000 watts into . 5 ohm .:eek: Now that my friend is some POWER! :D
It is side kicked by a KPS25sc running into Big Wilson Grand Slams.

Right from Krell web site
"The Master Reference Amplifier brings a new level of performance to sound reproduction. Its tremendous power (exceeding 1,000 W into 8 Ohms, 2,000 W into 4 Ohms, 4,000 W into 2 Ohms, 8,000 W into 1 Ohm, and 16,000 W into .5 Ohm) gives the listener the freedom to enjoy unconstrained sound reproduction. The technological innovations that manage these large amounts of power are transparent to the user."

http://www.krellonline.com/krell_component.php?id=30&page=MRA

Attachments

• 1230406380.jpg
    1230406380.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,362
  • 1230406381.jpg
    1230406381.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 1230406382.jpg
    1230406382.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,583
JFM - great shot of the C-5XE - is that yours?

Here's some French tube power. Having heard the CLX with the JA-200, I'd like to connect these into the same and listen again!

I believe each channel consumes 2600 Watts and gives 350W/channel. However, you can double them up to get 700 Watts per channel. Not bad for a tube amp. Power cunsumption is then, of course, ridiculous. I don't envy the electric bills or the heat... and boy they MUST give some off!

The 700 Watt configuration means you get 6 chassis i.e. two more of the ones with all the tubes in. The ones with all the caps are the power supplies.

Attachments

• JadisJA-800.jpg
    JadisJA-800.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 5,339
  • JadisJA-800Back.jpg
    JadisJA-800Back.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 5,547
  • JadisJA-800Side.jpg
    JadisJA-800Side.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 4,248
Last edited:
It's the nicest of them all. Although that Goldmund is equally nice to look at!

Here's a nicer 610T - tip for Bernard - use Google images, then pic the best one!

And as this shows it is rather nice.

Attachments

• 610.jpg
    610.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,327
Very Tasty indeed...but let's put them into the correct context!

Attachments

• MLStatements.jpg
    MLStatements.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,969
Oh Tim, really, they are way too small...:)

Attachments

• hm.jpg
    hm.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,288
Last edited:
JFM - great shot of the C-5XE - is that yours?

I wish! The C-5XE is actually the one on the bottom. The featured one on top is the KX-R preamp.

and to complement it would be the MX-R monoblocks:

mxr.jpg

Last edited:
I heard that exact setup in the warehouse at Kimber Kable. Ray is a super nice guy to sit me down and give me a listen without warning and in the middle of a busy work day. Also, the sound is eerie. There are 2 more arrays of stats mirroring those behind the seats! LOVED IT!!!

Oh Tim, really, they are way too small...:)

How does that Cars song go? You know - the one that goes...

"And she used to be mine...":D

No more apt a word spoken - my old Air Tight ATM-2. Sweet memories...:music: Alas, now gone:( I had eaten all the cookies in the biscuit tins, you see:D

Those NOS Tung-Sol 6550s fetched a pretty penny, too. The Air Tight went to the most unpleasant French man I have ever had the displeasure of meeting on ebay. Probably playing Plastic Bertand these days.

Attachments

• air tight.jpg
    air tight.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,531
Last edited:
I love wacky DIY tube amps like this. Maybe one day I should ditch my MLs and explore the world of low output tube amps and high efficiency speakers. Living Voice Avatars do a brilliant job.

Notice anything about that tube amps chassis? Cool, huh?

Cheap? Yeah. Tasty? Definately! Brilliant DIY job here. Tubes? 6T9. Yeah, I've never heard of it too. But that's what is so fun about DIY tube amps - you can use some really esoteric stuff.

Attachments

• 6T9-SE-Tube-Amp.jpg
    6T9-SE-Tube-Amp.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,425
Apogee............................................ ..........................

The Grand. Probably more than "a grand", 60 or 70 maybe. Would love to hear a pair of these in a room that would do them justice.........yea this room will do.

Doug - out

Attachments

• 1230996936.jpg
    1230996936.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,626
Last edited:
Back