The Really Tasty Gear Thread - With Pictures!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manley Steelhead Phono Preamp

The Fosgate looks really cool, but this is what I'm saving up for.

It will take on any cartridge. With 2 MC inputs and 1 MM input, I can hook up the SME 10, Scheu Analog Cello and the Rega P-2. It also has an analog input, 2 variable outputs and 1 fixed output. I can hook up the Tascam BR-20 reel to reel tape deck and make some cool "best of" tapes from the vinyl collection.

Attachments

• steelhead.jpg
    steelhead.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 233
I don't like many SS amps to look at. But I do like this, and most of the Accuphase power amps, in fact. This one is good for 1.2KW into 1 Ohm, but you'll need two.

I was and have been trying to track down a used P-450 to have a dabble - then probably pass on, but you never know - it could be a keeper.

Anyway - check out this M-6000 photo set. Top photography, no?

Attachments

• m_6000_front_l.jpg
    m_6000_front_l.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 213
I don't like many SS amps to look at. But I do like this, and most of the Accuphase power amps, in fact. This one is good for 1.2KW into 1 Ohm, but you'll need two.

I was and have been trying to track down a used P-450 to have a dabble - then probably pass on, but you never know - it could be a keeper.

Anyway - check out this M-6000 photo set. Top photography, no?

Seems a bit anemic ;)

Now HERE's a real amplifier... one which I am particularly partial to.

Attachments

• ModWrightkwa150.jpg
    ModWrightkwa150.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 211
I prefer ARC silver.

I prefer ARC. Period.

I must say though - If there is a SS amplifier I love, it's the Lamm M1.2 (well, hybrid actually).

And speaking of nice amps, Justin - why don't you post some nice pics of your Austria Analogues.......they're right up there!

Attachments

• 495lamm.1.jpg
    495lamm.1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Nah - the Modwright is definately cool. I like the blue light and the top of it. Should go well with the Summit X lighting...

Not that I care about looks. Who cares about looks? It's all in the sound...:D

Attachments

• modwright.jpg
    modwright.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Who cares about looks? It's all in the sound...:D

But you started this thread with the sole purpose being for looks!

Actually - you called it the "tasty" gear thread - maybe it's all about taste. I can't say I've tasted any of my kit.....

Raysonic CD168 Tube CD-Player

Justin, how about this for cool blue lights, the Raysonic CD168 Tube CD-Player. They make a whole bunch of other really tasty-looking stuff.

Speaking of cool blue lights, whatever happened to Hovland? They used to make some great-looking stuff.

Attachments

• CD168_001.jpg
    CD168_001.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 248
Shanling makes some eye/ear candy as well. I used to own the SACD player in the lower right. Nice tube output stage... and integrated level control. I had it directly driving Odyssey Extreme Monoblocks which then drove Maggie 3.6r... not bad at'all. Certainly galaxies beyond any tube driven apogees I've ever been subjected to ;)

Attachments

• hero.jpg
    hero.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 240
Certainly galaxies beyond any tube driven apogees I've ever been subjected to ;)

That's funny - I was listening to the CLX recordings I made the other day on the Rowland Edirol... and was thinking of recording the same ZZ Top track on the Apogees in the same manner - then posting both on a hosting site with links to it here. But I'd get all sorts of room acoustic excuses, I'm sure.:rolleyes:

But if you can handle it, I could do it for some fun:)

That's funny - I was listening to the CLX recordings I made the other day on the Rowland Edirol... and was thinking of recording the same ZZ Top track on the Apogees in the same manner - then posting both on a hosting site with links to it here. But I'd get all sorts of room acoustic excuses, I'm sure.:rolleyes:

But if you can handle it, I could do it for some fun:)

How would that be anything other than great fun?!? If you have the time and inclination, I say give it a go. As silly as it seems to judge speaker performance via computer speaker playback of an iPhone (or other handheld in-room recorder)... I'd really like to see/hear more of it across various MLC systems.

We might think it fun, but when I originally posted the CLX recordings, virtually no-one downloaded them, according to the hosting site's counter. It's not worth the effort on that basis, on reflection.

We might think it fun, but when I originally posted the CLX recordings, virtually no-one downloaded them, according to the hosting site's counter. It's not worth the effort on that basis, on reflection.

Can you point me to that original link?

Back