The love that dare not speak its name ....Magnepan 3.7 ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to be jealous there used to be a few high end dealers in NYC, now now so many.
I was lucky to be young and exposed to these bad habits from the 70"s.
I only wish I never got rid of everything I owned in the past.....

Bill,

Ever met with Bill Parish / GTT Audio? He's about 80 miles west of NYC in NJ.

GG

No I haven't but I have been to Stu Hegamens place in NJ (years ago) to borrow a pair of his original omni based speakers. I also was honored to talk to Jim Winey regarding KLH-9"s ( a pair I reconditioned ).
I recall him saying that talking about the 9"s is like talking about an old girlfriend. I believe that was his reference when he designed the first maggies. We were listening to a pair of tympani's IV"s driven by ARC on the bottom with Carver Silver 7"s on top. His choice of music was Renaissance dance music that sounded fantastic. I have been fortunate to talk with some of the elders of the industry Sequerra,Dalquist etc.

Last edited:
No need to be jealous there used to be a few high end dealers in NYC, now now so many.
I was lucky to be young and exposed to these bad habits from the 70"s.
I only wish I never got rid of everything I owned in the past.....

Hm... when I was in Manhattan I had a pretty poor experience with Sounds By Singer, the only dealer I found there at the time.

I was just looking around, but they basically told me to get out when I said I was simply looking... pretty surprising attitude, TBH. I might have been in a buying mood the next day for all they knew...

Don't feel bad, I walked in one day after I bought things
To hear some speakers Mr. Singer asked me to take out my checkbook first
After that I only went in there ( when he wasn't around) to buy only minimal ditties that no body else had it stock cause I needed it. His operation is closed now.....

Well,

Mr. Singer is history as he should be from what I've heard about his business practices.

If there's something that interests you and GTT has it to audition, I highly encourage everyone to visit.

As I said elsewhere, Bill added some 5,000 square feet onto his residence and had, when I visited last December, six fully equipped audio rooms.

Total one on one service (by appointment only) and his prices on used gear seem reasonable given the level of customer service one receives.

I purchased my 116's from Bill.

GG

I thought I would update as I promised I would, due to timing (work commitments), I paid the deposit on the 3.7s and then decided to step back (lost deposit), being already content with the Quests the exercise was going to take more time than I could commit to really assessing the 3.7s.

As an update, yesterday I paid a deposit on a pair of 3.7s in black sock/black oak. Should have them within 8 weeks. I will post my views (compared to ML Quests which I have) after some listening with Bryston 28's (having traded in my Ayre MXR's for Bryston) also due in, will need to let both run-in of course. Anyhow, thanks for input as always.

I'm curious as to what differences you hear between these amps? Thanks.

I would be curious about your opinion on the ribbon on the 3.7 compared to the ML.
Espicially in your own personal space
Difference in speed detail dispersion... Good luck on the amp venture
Let us know.....

I'm curious as to what differences you hear between these amps? Thanks.

Sure, this is what I posted on another website.

Had my Bryston 28s installed recently. I love the 19inch face plate with handles T2 industrial black look. They are my last amp that I can contemplate. Having owned Mark Levinson 336, 436's, Jadis DA88, Radford MA15's, Gryphon Diablo, Roksan M1's, Electrocompanient AW 180s, EC1, McIntosh 2275, 501's, 275's and Ayre MXR's. They are a strange (from a bemusement viewpoint) sounding amp in that they have the lowest noise floor of any valve single ended like amp I have heard and the most effortless presentation of any solid state amp I have heard. Infinite power headroom, smooth sounding with forensic detail, no part of the frequency range over dramatised - I don't quite know how you get a box of 40 kilos of metal to do that - but credit to Bryston for doing it's own thing in it's own way.

Regarding the MXRs, I had them for 2 years and they were brilliant but they were always trying to keep up with a 4ohm load and when I moved from the SL3s to the bigger Quest's it became obvious I had to change.

28s V MXRs in summary :

MXRs smooth, musical and dynamic, maybe the warmer side of neutral (but I liked them as I used to use Mac amps). 28s have a noticeable lower noise floor, more neutral, just as smooth - there is a cleanness with detail with the presentation (it reminded me of my Jadis DA88 without the euphony). Also immense effortless control over the Quests.

Back