the CLX review is here....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the review - really excellent.

After months of reading about the CLX, mainly on this site I finally managed to audition a pair last week whilst on vacation in London. This was an anniversary pair: an interesting comment by the dealer was that the aluminium frame provides added stiffness to the overall design which makes them sound better. Never heard this comment anywhere else and have no way of verifying it either...

I've posted my comments on my experience of the CLX separately...

Thanks again for the great review.

Steve

After months of reading about the CLX, mainly on this site I finally managed to audition a pair last week whilst on vacation in London. This was an anniversary pair: an interesting comment by the dealer was that the aluminium frame provides added stiffness to the overall design which makes them sound better. Never heard this comment anywhere else and have no way of verifying it either...

I made this point a while ago and got told by someone who had bought the ordinary edition that he had heard both, and there was no difference. The aluminium is only a "veneer".

However, I'd be amazed if you couldn't hear a difference. I think I'll stick to my instincts... until proven otherwise by my own ears. That day may never come, however:(. You'd need two pairs side by side.

I made this point a while ago and got told by someone who had bought the ordinary edition that he had heard both, and there was no difference. The aluminium is only a "veneer".

According to the specs on MLs website the 25th anniversarry edition is Sold Billet Aluminum not a veneer. It also weighs 42 pounds more than the regular CLX.

I haven't heard either hopefully soon.

Yeah I thought veneer was a bit cheapskate for $25K - but that is what he said. As it is solid billet, I'd be amazed if it sounded the same.

that's really the only complaint I have with the CLX is that I really think it could be built a bit more solid just a bit. I know that it sounds better than most speakers that cost way more and all that but man 20-25k I think they could do a little better.
a friend just bought a bran new 4x4 pickup truck for 25k I know this is not apples to apples but dam!!!

I am so addicted I still will probably buy a pair one day anyway lol

Last edited:
Another point you made in the article bears repeating, and that's how crossovers are critical, and as ML shows with ongoing evolutions in crossovers (Summit X), they are crucial to outcomes.

I wonder why on their flagship speaker they didn't use all the modern repertoire of active crossovers? Forcing bi-amping raises overall system costs too much?

Not that I care too much, as I'll be bypassing the passives as soon as I get my pair :devil:

Great point on the x-over. Its almost like the audiophiles need tactical air support to shame these manufacturers into properly packaging their products. ML clearly dont want to open this can of worms since active loudspeakers are a marketing disaster. Some dealers would claim the CLX doesnt sound good without the active crossover. Others would claim you dont need the subwoofers if you run the speakers active...The options balloon along with the misconceptions...

that's really the only complaint I have with the CLX is that I really think it could be built a bit more solid just a bit.

Have to agree with that having wobbled one around with my hand - a CLX Anniversary in solid billet, in fact!

What we really need is the CLX Iron Age Edition. That frame wouldn't budge...:) Why can I see some JonFo mods addressing this issue in my mind for the future?:)

Last edited:
Yeah I thought veneer was a bit cheapskate for $25K - but that is what he said. As it is solid billet, I'd be amazed if it sounded the same.

As I've said in another thread, what's with the veneer period? I'd rather (still would) like to see one with airframe.

Ai

Aluminum

strong, light weight, plentiful, beautiful ,corrosion resistant, reasonably priced must I go on?

Attachments

• aluminium_rods.jpg
    aluminium_rods.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 198
Yeah - Jeff'd almost have you believe they don't suck badly:D Only joking...

Product of the year to the Meridian, though? No way... sorry, but those DSP based Meridian's have always sounded pretty poor to me. Each to their own, I guess.

I'd be interested to hear why you thought it deserved it over the CLX, though, Jeff. I mean, you bought the CLX! Was it a collaborative judgement?

We did give the CLX an Exceptional Value award and the Summit was product of the year last year....

I thought the Meridian stuff sounded fantastic. I don't know about the older gear, but the DSP7200s were great. They didn't do some things that the CLX does, but as an overall system, the two together are pretty tough to beat.

The main reason I gave the combo product of the year was the combination of performance, aesthetics and ease of use. Everyone that listened to the Meridian stuff was blown away by how good it sounded for such minimal fuss.

Seriously, you can have it setup in ten min tops.

What I thought made the CLX/Descent i combination so exciting was the fact that it offers such a substantial helping of what you can have with money no object (100k - 200k) speakers, so I felt it was a bit different animal.

It was really a tough call between the CLX, the Naim Superline/Supercap and the Spiral Groove, that the reason it went to Meridian was because of the whole system concept.

That's always the most difficult thing about the awards, I hate to draw the line in the sand when we had the opportunity to review so much excellent gear this year!

Thanks for the reply. My evaluation of Meridian DSP speakers is based on show demos. I have always thought what a lot of money for not great results. Mind you I haven't heard the latest ones, but I'd be amazed if my opinion would change substantially.

Having said that, I have heard Wilson's sound great and sound terrible at the same time driven by different gear in different environments/using different recordings.

Sometimes you have to wonder whether it is just pot luck when you hear a system sound great, given all the factors that can contribute to the outcome.

I'd never pump my analogue front end through a pair on principle, even though you stated the results were good. I think there are "sound" reasons for keeping analogue analogue - sampling it can only worsen it. Agreed the degree of detriment may be small, but it will be there.

Just my thoughts - we'll have to agree to differ. No disrespect intended:) And as I haven't heard the DSP7200, I don't actually have an opinion for that model.

Product of the year to the Meridian, though? No way... sorry, but those DSP based Meridian's have always sounded pretty poor to me. Each to their own, I guess.
I am confused by your posts??? Here you disagree with Jeff and the Meridian system being Product of the Year. But then you state:

And as I haven't heard the DSP7200, I don't actually have an opinion for that model.
You have not heard the DSP7200, but yet you disagree with the Tone Audio Staff :confused::confused: Are you not a fan of the Meridian equipment or just their Active "Digital" (gasp) speakers? Just curious as the newer models may have made an improvement. I have heard the Meridian active speakers sound great and sound bad.

I'd never pump my analogue front end through a pair on principle, even though you stated the results were good. I think there are "sound" reasons for keeping analogue analogue - sampling it can only worsen it. Agreed the degree of detriment may be small, but it will be there.
:ROFL: But again you have not heard the 7200's, so is it the "digital" thing which would keep you from listening?

I think you will agree, everything your source goes through changes the sound be it analog or digital. But I guess it depends on the coloration's to the sound you are looking for.

Back to the Magazine Review topic:

Audio Magazines and their "Product of the Year" or year end top rated equipment issues will always cause uproars, favoritism, accusations of advertising based decisions, friends in the industry associations, and on and on. But yet, everyone screams for these magazines to make their recommendations. It is really a double-edge sword for the magazines with a damn if you do, damn if you don't result. Like any other review, post, etc. it is all a matter of subjective preferences being stated.

Jeff, Tone Audio had a nice wide range of equipment recommendations and awards (not necessarily the most expensive equipment either) making it an interesting read.

I've just re-read my post. I reckon it's clear. I don't agree and am just being civil and nice about it, whilst leaving some space for the fact that the DSP7200 might be a big improvement on previous Meridian speakers.

Not much else I can explain without saying the same thing twice.

Try reading it again (without wishing to be rude).

Last edited:

Just my thoughts - we'll have to agree to differ. No disrespect intended:) And as I haven't heard the DSP7200, I don't actually have an opinion for that model.

Yes, I'm sure you wouldn't, and that's ok; no offense taken.

But a big part of my job is to investigate. With the "vinyl resurgence", there are a lot of people returning to vinyl playback and if I were thinking of using this type of setup, my first question would be "how does it sound with analog"?

I've used a number of digital based speakers before and some things with DEQX, Behringer, etc and my experience was that hooking up an LP rig was pointless because of throwing it through all the digital processing, etc. etc. Some did better than others, but I was always left pretty cold.

The Meridian system, probably partially due to them having a bit better converters and I think in a big part due to them not using class D/switching amplifiers made the analog playback very listenable, especially with a tube phono stage.

As much as I love my CLX's, I could be very happy with an 808.2, pair of 7200s, my P9 and a nice tube phono for a very low fuss low muss system.

(perhaps in the second room when I retire!)

Personally, I doubt many people will go that direction with it, but it's nice to know that after spending 52 large, you could buy a table and some records if it suited your fancy and get good results.

Hearing expensive hifi at a show is almost always a losing proposition. That's why we've never done the room by room coverage that the other mags do, or judge "best sound at the show" kind of things. I feel it's pointless.

Hearing expensive hifi at a show is almost always a losing proposition. That's why we've never done the room by room coverage that the other mags do, or judge "best sound at the show" kind of things. I feel it's pointless.

Got to agree there. But it is the best most can achieve outside of a dealer they actually feel comfortable with.

I've gone a bit nutcase after upgrading my TT. I firmly believe that analogue is the better medium. But it (your equipment) has to be really good to get there. What a crying shame that is.

In the future, digital will get closer and closer to where the best of analogue is now, as sampling rates and storage capacities and inevitably (the most important factor, I believe) internet bandwidth increases. The day people can download better than SACD quality (easy with Blu Ray capacities) music onto their iPods at say, 10 secs a track, will indeed hopefully see people like me shut up.

I wish Meridian well. I think they are a great British company. One day I hope to walk into a demo and get bowled over. I'll keep an ear out for them, as I always do over time. My next upgrade may well be digital. Maybe I'll borrow an 808.2 and see what I think. If I do, I'll be sure to post the results. HFN gave it a great review. If it is good, however, I won't be buying one new. My cut off point is probably around £4K absolute max. Still a lot for a player... but it has to be a player... if you know what I mean! I could afford a lot more, but I like to keep it rational inline with other expenditure!:)

However, so far, whilst I respect them for what they are (a respected British Hi-Fi company), I can't see the £££s go their way just yet...

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Meridian as well, but the real PLAYER is the Naim 555. That's the one I could give up my turntable for in a theoretical sense. I have way too much vinyl to ever get rid of analog, but if I was starting at zero today, I could live happily ever after with a 555. (now looking into a 2nd PS555, thanks to those maniacs on the Naim forum)

And interestingly, all of my most hardcore analog friends have said the same thing.

Yes, when all the planets align, analog still has a slight (and I mean very slight) edge, but 95% of the time, I'm perfectly happy with the 555. Granted it's a lot of money and yes I did get industry discount, but I still wrote a serious five-figure check for that baby.

It really is a joy. It's the only CD player I've yet experienced that doesn't have me thinking at the back of my head "maybe I should put a record on..."

With the economy in the toilet, I've seen them for sale on Audiogon for less than I paid for mine.

If you'd really like to get the ultimate digital kit, and can spare the money, now is the time to buy one, it really is fantastic.

Yup - Jeff, for sure, you are a nutcase. Certified 100%.

Anyway, loved the last issue. I'd find it impossible to keep good info back for a publication. You excel at that. Well done.

I'm looking forward to the Bristol show. I'm hoping Chapter Audio still exist - I wanna hear their Class Ds again. Bloody great last time. Shows.... I know.

But I like 'em.:)

I've just re-read my post. I reckon it's clear. I don't agree and am just being civil and nice about it, whilst leaving some space for the fact that the DSP7200 might be a big improvement on previous Meridian speakers.

Not much else I can explain without saying the same thing twice.

Try reading it again (without wishing to be rude).
I read it - that is why I replied to the post and quoted it :rolleyes: You made your post and it brought up questions with me (not clear). A simple answer instead of asking me to read it again would have been good. I thought maybe you had a bad experience with Meridian or a Meridian dealer. I was just wondering why, so take a breath.

Back