the bi polar room (long)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
or perhaps i should call this - too many thoughts and this post will probably also be too many words.

well the room (in fact the whole basement) is at a stand still. for a bunch of reasons, but not the least is functional design. I can't get a grasp on how to mesh together some of the ideas i want to accomplish.

My wife has given me near carte blanche for the room, with the one proviso that it remain comfortable for reading or music listening. so not too dark/closed in and not just like a commercial theatre.

For my part, I have two needs as this is a dedicated media room - not just a listening room, not just a theatre and perhaps a place where discussions about a film or recording will feel more like conversation than lecture hall. "Wait" - you say, there is too much intent in this project - too many cooks each adding their own main ingredient - is this fish, fowl or vegetarian? make up your mind. I did - it's media: audio, visual and conversational.

So now that the mind is made up, how do the hands accomplish?

I believe that is was C.A.P./Chris what stated that a music room and a movie room have definite and distinct needs for the acoustics and design and he's right.

A music room wants to be visually enjoyable, letting you read, listen, enjoy some art, savour some wine and perhaps share a conversation about that fiddly bit Bach put in Brandenburg No. 3 and the Beatles put in Penny Lane.

A theatre wants none of that - the visual is all about the screen. You want dark walls, dark ceilings and auditorium seating with a drink holder. The confection stand is an optional but certainly cute addition and your kids will love you for the indoor lemonade stand you've built them. Don't let them on to the fact that it's their college fund.

Acoustically the difference between listening and theatre are another mess - the listening room wants to minimize the bad reflections but not be dead - dead flat perhaps, but not dead. I tried the live end dead end for a number of years and grew from mild annoyance to full metal jacket hate. the sound was dead dead dead and the music was never enjoyable. I had no front back slap issues, but maybe a bit of slap would have kept me awake - when you fall asleep during NIN you have a problem.

The evil twin theatre wants the same room to be dead dead dead and those 7.2 speakers want to pop their sound and then be absorbed. Any echo in the soundtrack is from the soundtrack and not from the room. A two channel/Prologic sound field benefits from reflection, but discrete matrices are type-A control freaks and neither require nor tolerate any opinions from the room.

Such is the problem in which I find myself.

Back