The Audio Room.... need generic help and tips

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw these CLX on audiogon - funny thing is that the guy selling them is Dale Humphrey, the same man who sold me the Summits approx 5 years ago.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1293038922&/Martin-Logan-CLX---Aluminum-25

Good price too and it is also aluminum.

I've met him, obviously, he has a nice place and I can definitely see why the guy keeps gravitating to the aluminum frame.

This would be nice in my new listening room... but I'm beginning to think of going dynamic cones this time around. I dunno.

This would be nice in my new listening room... but I'm beginning to think of going dynamic cones this time around. I dunno.

Like what Joey? I remember that you had some Sonus Fabers for a while didn't you? Would you return to them?

I've been thinking about some dynamic speakers lately myself - Avalon Indra's perhaps. Or maybe a smaller monitor and swapping out with the CLS's as my mood strikes me. The Joseph Audio Pulsar's I listened to a RMAF were mind blowing!

Like what Joey? I remember that you had some Sonus Fabers for a while didn't you? Would you return to them?

I've been thinking about some dynamic speakers lately myself - Avalon Indra's perhaps. Or maybe a smaller monitor and swapping out with the CLS's as my mood strikes me. The Joseph Audio Pulsar's I listened to a RMAF were mind blowing!

TIM! I missed you bud.

Several speakers are in contention:
Whatever top-end ML has in a year (CLX?) vs others.

Others include:
Wilson Sasha vs Maxx 2 (Maxx 3 might be out of my league for pricing)
Sonus Faber Ellipsa vs Stradivari
Magico V3 vs Mini II w/ Torus combo
BW 802 Diamond
Avalon Eidolon Diamonds

I seriously don't know how I can listen to all of those - probably going to have to really focus on a few that are well received and reviewed. The ones I'm most interested in has got to be the Wilson Sasha or Maxx 2. If I sprung for the 3, they had better be superb in every way.

Not sure about Magico - right when I took a hiatus, they were the bees-knees... I still have to look into their hype a little more and see if they have substance.

The Sonus Fabers are a perennial favorite for me - have not heard that high up their food chain though but if their others speakers are any indication, it's looking good.

The Avalons are always highly rated - however, the Isis is cost-prohibitive... I wonder if the Eidolon is too much a compromise.

Hey Joey check out this thread: http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147

Now I don't like the finish, but this guy seems ecstatic. Rich Murray has years of experience as a custom car paint sprayer so he can make them look like whatever you want.

Trust me - these speakers are extremely good in 2010 Graz'd form. Just a thought. You'd need to go see Rich, though.

i started a thread a couple of weeks back discussing the dissagreement between the needs of a "music room" and the needs of a "theatre" room.

similar to what Kevin wrote, I have a need for a friendly encompasing room as i'm starting the wheels rolling on a series of movie discussion forums where a group of us watch a movie and then have a discussion following. The group would be a fairly set study group.

Now you don't want to be doing that, but the problems are similar in that a room designed for music listening or (moreso) for movie watching is diametrically opposed to interaction between the people in the room.

Theatres want dark walls and ceilings. people like light - ambient, work and fill.

None of the chairs in either a music room or a theatre face each other, and if you turn them risers (if you have them) but some people staring up at others and some people staring downwards.

You now have three purposes wrangling out for power - music, theatre and social.

[QUOTE=Rich

Let me just re-iterate that you are taking up a whole room in your house. It is very short-sighted to make it solely serve one purpose. The more multifunctional you make it, the more use and enjoyment you will get out of the work you put into creating it and the space you are taking up with it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joey, I totally agree with Rich.I am running 2 channel only for both music and movies. Once , you see a 1080 picture on an 8 foot screen , there is no turning back.

I like the fact that my room can share 2 purposes, both music and film. More people can enjoy the room. For pre wiring for the projector and screen, I contacted day-lite, the screen manufacturer and they told me the size of pine box to make for installation in the ceiling that would eventually hold the electric screen and also the wiring diagram for it.

For the projector, I ran an outlet up to the ceiling where the pj was to be and ran an hdmi cable as well. It is very inexpensive to impliment this during the construction phase.

I am so happy I took my friends advice and pre wired for the screen and pj. On movie nights when more people are over, we bring in an additional 3 chairs that fit right behind the chairs you see in my system pictures.In the first picture, you can see the recessed screen box and futher down in the 2nd set of pictures, you can see the permanent seating, the additional chairs are temporarily brought in behind those on movie nights.

Maybe you should go to an audio shop where they have a 1080 pj and screen before you rule it out. There are quite a bit of concerts on blu-ray which you would probably love to watch on the 8ft screen over your new Martin Logan based system. This includes anything from Opera to rock concerts.

If you pre wire for the screen and pj, you will be sending Rich and myself PM thank you notes for years.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Joey -

It seems that you might be in the rare position to sort of customize your room for whatever you want. Having said that, I think it would be wise to heed the advice of Rich and Greg - make the room as flexible as possible. As time marches on, your needs (and the needs of your family) will change.

Like you, I am venturing down the path of a room dedicated to two channel audio. It's a going to be a fun ride for sure, but keep your options open. I've been talking to Bryan Pape at GIK and he believes that treating a room for HT and 2 channel music can be a challenge. I suppose it depends on your listening tastes and preferences. But since you are starting from the ground up, you can perhaps take the steps to address the idea of a room that doubles as a serious audio room for conventional 2 channel music and one that can entertain guests for football Sundays.

You are in excellent hands if you contact either Real Traps of GIK acoustics. The fact that you are getting their advice and maybe using their products will go a long way to optimizing your room.

Erik

Hey Joey,

I say go analog.

It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with that VPI Scout, I remember your posts from that episode. But don't let that keep you from at least checking out some of the turntables and phono preamps that are out there.

I just picked up an almost new SME 10 for $3.9k. Hope to have it by Thanksgiving. :D:D:D I've also had a lot of fun with my UHA modded Tascam BR-20 reel to reel. Tape Project tapes sound insane good.

About the room, check out the ceiling in the photos you posted. I've seen other photos of that room somewhere and a lot of thought and engineering went into the design of that ceiling.

It really is good to see you getting back in the game, even if you go with Box speakers. ha ha...

Ray

Let me just re-iterate that you are taking up a whole room in your house. It is very short-sighted to make it solely serve one purpose. The more multifunctional you make it, the more use and enjoyment you will get out of the work you put into creating it and the space you are taking up with it.

Please consider that this room will have to be more than just a two-channel music listening room for you and your family. If and when you decide to have kids, your life will change considerably. You will have much less time for music and have other things that become important as entertainment (movies, games, etc.). The more versatile you can make this room, the better.

Agreed
My kids and their friends love watching movies in the room.
Superbowl is at my house every year.
And more and more the kids are stopping in to sit down with me and enjoy some tunes.

1: cancel the subscription.
2: As big a room as you can get.
3: listen to what you have, not what someone tells you to have, then take it from there.

Definitely looking at the room to be a solitary confinement vs multipurpose... that said, I think I'm still going to go solitary on this one. There are plenty of other rooms in the house for other gatherings IMO.

The system from my research is probably be going to be something like this:
Digital Front End: Ayre 5xe vs Cary 306/300
Analog: SME vs Other (not sure yet)
Speakers: Wilson Sasha (most likely)
Preamp: Cary SLP05 (loved my experience with it)
Amp: Cary SLi80 monos vs Cary 211AE monos vs Plinius SA-103 (loved my Plinny from before)

Should be a killer system.

Definitely looking at the room to be a solitary confinement vs multipurpose... that said, I think I'm still going to go solitary on this one. There are plenty of other rooms in the house for other gatherings IMO.

Amp: Cary SLi80 monos vs Cary 211AE monos vs Plinius SA-103 (loved my Plinny from before)

way cool joey -- From reviews only -- Everyone picks the Ayre.... but a 1 on 1 would be best for sure.... Compared to others - I agree with you - make it your music room. From what I hear - you have plans for other rooms - and I always hated having the tv in the middle of everything. I got lucky - I had an L shaped room - and put the TV on one leg of the L and the music on the other end... Same space - yet two seperate spaces... good luck - keep us informed (those Cary 211AE monos ....I think you could just buy them and look at them and be happy!!) :)

Joey, if your budget is unlimited, by all means consider HT. However, if it does have a limit, consider HT only after you have bought the best 2-channel you can afford. Don't compromise on the 2-channel in order to accomodate the HT.

Joey, if your budget is unlimited, by all means consider HT. However, if it does have a limit, consider HT only after you have bought the best 2-channel you can afford. Don't compromise on the 2-channel in order to accomodate the HT.

My budget is far from unlimited.

No HT set up.

I may include an area where more than 1 person can enjoy the stereo, but nothing more than 2 speakers in the room.

Joey-

When my wife and I built a new home two years ago, a room like Mike L's was envisioned, but the builder would not alter the structure to accommodate our wants. Remodeling or adding on would have to wait due to budgetary concerns. At one point, I had contacted Mike Lavigne and had some good conversations. Quite a bit of thought went into his room and you might consider spending some time perusing the Rives Audio site, or perhaps contacting Mike himself.

Your first comment about the hardwood section of his floor is discussed in several threads over at the Asylum, but basically it is part or their 'live end, dead end' scheme. Makes sense once you read up on it.

Also note that in most photos, that room looks larger than it really is. Its not small by any means, but most shots are wide-angle.

Until I can build or modify, a spare upstairs room (approx 15 x 24) now suffices, although the rear wall is part of a hall and cannot be used for storage. Not quite what was planned, but it works. When the time comes, I'll contact Rives early in the design stage.

Hey---don't feel bad about the TT (I purchased Joey's Scout a few years ago). I couldn't get it set up either....had to have a vinyl guru come over and do it for me. After a few hours of tweaking and a several cartridge changes, its been a good unit and I've not longed for anything else. Setting up that TT was the most frustrating thing I had ever tried, equipment-wise.

Congrats on your wedding, glad you're back.

TJ

I guess I'm no longer "the kid" as once dubbed by Pops Dave. I'll wait and see what Pops says - if I'm no longer the kid, I'll remove it.

Joey, you can remove the label any time you want, but remember........you'll always be....'The Kid' !!! so don't forget to remind 'em...that they are all jealous !

As far as your room scenario goes I think Rich gave you some good suggestions to at least keep the multi-channel options open given the fact that you are really just starting out on lifes journey. As for me I look forward to the day (soon) when I can interact with my grandson outdoors on my railroad more so than anything on a stupid screen.

TJ -

Glad to know that the Scoutmaster is treating you well! And thanks for giving me insight as to the rules of engagement to creating a great stereo room. I may have to contact Mike Lavigne and get some input - I recall he had a website/blog that showed the building of his room. I think his room is separate from his house - so I think he has to actually hike to the room... that's dedication!

Pops -

Hey!! We gotta meet up again... sometime soon I hope.

Joey

Rich -

Hey bud... thanks man. I hear ya about the utility of the HT/multipurpose room vs the solitary 2ch room.

Still not completely sold on the multichannel set up just yet.

If you can, I would go with a separate dedicated room for your 2CH and have another for your family where you would have your big screen/surround sound like I do. Below is a pic of my dedicated solitary 2CH room. I can close the door to shut out the rest of the house to get full privacy.

three.jpg

Joey, I've got the Ayre QB-9 DAC and I think it sounds great. The Ayre 5xe is supposed to be even better, so I unhesitatingly endorse it. The Wilson Sasha is called the "mini Max3", as it sounds a lot like it. I've got the Wilson WP8s and absolutely love them, so I don't see how you could go wrong with the Sashas.

I loved the wattpuppy 8's, I am sure that the Sasha is great. That will be a fun combo.

Back