System #91 (CLS IIz, Stylos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a turntable, James :) As I said, stay tuned for hi-res pix to come. It's got a good cartridge, a wonderful arm, a nice design and (you may laugh at this) some functionality I'm missing from my fully automatic Denon, which will hit eBay soon.
I am excited for you and your TT!!!

I'm next, I'm next on the vinyl line!!

Joey :)

eye candy

Everything went OK !

I can't do a really loud critical listening (my better half still sleeping) but :

1) I turned the volume up (VEEERY UP) with no music playing, and .... no hum, no noise, dead silence - something I was NOT getting from my older TT.

2) I did play the record you see (btw, this post doubles as a post of "sunday morning music") which has severe high pitches from the panflute - they came out very sweet and enjoyable, with no distortion at all.

3) This TT is much smaller, and my rack's structure allows me now to put the played LP as you see, allowing guests to visualize what's playing - nice touch.

I'm happy !!!!

Attachments

• newtt.jpg
    newtt.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Looks great lugano. I like the simple lines of the TT, though I always leaned toward clean and simple without bells and whistles.

You may have mentioned but who makes it?
I am getting the bug to get rid of my old cheap TT and this just pushed it along a little more.

Happy listening and what time should we be there for chicken dinner?

Looks great lugano. I like the simple lines of the TT, though I always leaned toward clean and simple without bells and whistles.

You may have mentioned but who makes it?

Pro-ject used to make it. Now it's discontinued. The original buyer spent chf 900 for it, I've ebayed it for chf 350, enough for making me feel quite good.

I'm not going to get a VPI aries or similar stuff, my main concern is to give my LP collection a safe landing spot, quite inline and level with the rest of my gear.

you go nowhere with the hardware if the software is missing. I've got tons of LP's waiting resurrection, but a newcomer into this area might discover that it's quite difficult to rebuild history.

Last edited:
I am excited for you and your TT!!!

I'm next, I'm next on the vinyl line!!

Joey :)

Joey dear, while a TT is nice to have IF you have got some LP's lying around, like some of us do, I am not so sure that it's a good investment for you at this point.

If I were you, I'd rather invest in clean power, room and room treatment, after hours listening (i.e. headphones and what comes with it), furniture and software (music). And of course an outstanding DAC... Just my 2 c...

Yes Peter, it's a Ortofon OM 20 Super. Tomorrow morning I'll drive 200 km to pick the babe and the same back to bring it to its new home. Are you happy with your OM30 ?

Yes, I like the OM30, but I would also like to try a moving coil setup. That will have to wait a bit until funds are available...:) It's not just the expense of the cartridge, but also the step up transformers, or low level amp that goes along with it. I'm not immune from Joeyitis, but so far have been managing to keep it uder control...:D

Peter

lugano, have you ever tested a TNT? I have a Rega Planar 3 with a Grado Sonata cart...I do get a little hum when the LP is almost finished at middle volume. It's the magnet in the spinner motor under the TT that is causing it. What I may need is a diferent cart because a Grado is unprotected. How many LP's do you have and what type? I collect new 180 gram Jazz LP's but get hand-me-down Classical LP's from anyone that no longer uses a TT.

Last edited:
I have a Rega Planar 3 with a Gardo Sonta cart...I do get a little hum when the LP is almost finished at middle volume. It's the magnet in the spinner motor under the TT that is causing it. What I may need is a diferent cart because a Grado is unprotected. How many LP's do you have and what type? I collect new 180 gram Jazz LP's but get hand-me-down Classical LP's from anyone that no longer uses a TT.

Hi Philox ... I think you mean a Grado Sonata :) I have about 500 LP's, and about one third of them will never ever be released on CD's - it's music from another country and a former life. But also lots of music from the 80's.
For your problem, did you ever try using a special turntable mat ? Take a look here: http://www.extremephono.com/Mat.htm - it would be sad to part from the Sonata....and this carbon mat might isolate the interferences you get. In any case, it comes with a "Money-back guarantee. Regardless of any reason, within 30-day, return the item in its original condition for a full-refund" so I think you might give it a try.

Last edited:
Thanks lugano, your right its Grado...I am writing without a spell check. The Sonata cart was the same price as the turntable...OUCH :wow: The hum is not that bad because I don't normally play my LP's above mid volume...but it is there. I have already bought an extreme phono mat but may need another model. See Below. I will check out your link.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
patience young Jedi

The swiss ML dealer confirmed me that the power supplies and the new panels I've ordered in the FIRST week of december will arrive in their container around half april. I really don't know if I should be happy or mad.

lugano, do you know Russian? Once I sounded out the word "Gospodi" in English I figured out what it was :rolleyes: "Lord have mercy". It took me some time to figure the word out because I normally go to Ukraine once a year on vacation and it sounds like "Hos-po-di" when I am at church

Last edited:
Philox, Gospodi = Lord, Gospodi pomilui = Lord have mercy. I don't speak any language written in cyrillic alphabet but I know the letters and once I can read it, it can happen that I understand the meaning because my native language is a mix af many languages, with terms coming from serb or russian, too.

in my native language, gospodin = landlord, a milui = to have mercy... so it's sometimes possible to extrapolate.

listen to this track:

http://www.valley-entertainment.com/real_audio/11109_TRK2.mp3

the entire album is here:

http://www.valley-entertainment.com/Artists/Sacred_Treasures/

Last edited:
Philox, Gospodi = Lord, Gospodi pomilui = Lord have mercy. I don't speak any language written in cyrillic alphabet but I know the letters and once I can read it, it can happen that I understand the meaning because my native language is a mix af many languages, with terms coming from serb or russian, too.

in my native language, gospodin = landlord, a milui = to have mercy... so it's sometimes possible to extrapolate.

listen to this track:

http://www.valley-entertainment.com/real_audio/11109_TRK2.mp3

the entire album is here:

http://www.valley-entertainment.com/Artists/Sacred_Treasures/

I am always envious of people who are multi lingual - I can barely warp my head around English some days, and if it weren't for swear words my vocabulary would be cut in half.

Lugano, very nice turntable my friend. It complements the rest of your suprerb system very well. I hope you have many, many hours enjoyment from it!

lugano, I was returning to add the "pomilui" but see that you got ahead of me. Have you ever studied the philosophy of language specially Martin Heidigger? Please see my web site about it. Click: .http://home.ix.netcom.com/~philox/_wsn/page2.html#---PHILOSOPHY: UNIVERSAL THINKING--- It's below the stereo equipment and music information. Ohhh...I already have the 2nd CD you mention, its my wife's favorite because it sounds the most Russian, she is Russian by the way...it's called "Sacred Treasures". Check out my review: http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Treasu...000X8J/ref=cm_cr-mr-title/102-6194206-2104915

This is my favorite Choir music CD right now, chick: http://www.amazon.com/Ikon-Pavel-Gr...2104915?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1175388050&sr=1-5 Check out the two songs by MacMillan "A Child's Prayer" and "A New Song". May I find the same joy at death as these songs reveal...what a way to go. Awe inspiring stuff

I listen to "Gospodi - The Light of Christ", by Felix Maria Woschek via the link. I was surprise that it was eastern European or maybe Near East folk music. Interesting, I also collect folk music

Last edited:
Back