System #05 (Odyssey, CLS IIa)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaliar, Glad to hear your back to spinning some vinyl again, I understand the need !!!

Thanks Robin !

Robin said:
kaliar,

Sounds like the proper preamp for your wonderful system. I wonder how it looks in your set-up? If you take any more pic's of your system I'd love to see how it looks... :)
Enjoy you new and improved vinyl heaven... :D
Hi Robin,

Indeed, the Clearaudio Basic is nicely matched to my system. As far as looks are concerned, I'll say it is OK, being a very simple metal box... :D

I'll try to post a picture of the vinyl setup during the week-end !

Take care,

Hooked again !

twich54 said:
Kaliar, Glad to hear your back to spinning some vinyl again, I understand the need !!!
Jeff Zaret said:
Vinyl is still Kewl!
Hi Dave and Jeff,

I have around 600 LPs that were being neglected. But during the last week alone I must have played around 40 of them, mostly stuff from the Seventies that I don't have in CD form. That was fun !! :D

I'm hooked again ! Vinyl is cool and I'm glad to be back at spinning some! :cool:

Cheers !

Kaliar,
I think vinyl is pretty cool too. I have a lot of stuff that is not on CD. I have some from the 0's and 60's that still sound amazing for the time and then there is stuff that no matter how good your stereo stuff is it just won't sound that good. But oh the memeories :D :D

Jeff :cool:

Memories !

Hi Jeff,

So true about the memories! I'm 53 years young ;) and have so much fun since last week re-listening and re-living some of the best moments of 30 years ago ! I certainly do not care about a few extraneous vinyl noises and intend to spend more time with my LPs! :D

Take care,

Kaliar said:
Hi Jeff,

So true about the memories! I'm 53 years young ;) and have so much fun since last week re-listening and re-living some of the best moments of 30 years ago ! I certainly do not care about a few extraneous vinyl noises and intend to spend more time with my LPs! :D

Take care,
Hey Jeff and Kaliar, I hope were not the only vinyl junkies on this site ! I don't know about you but my most enjoyable listening(the one with either a martini or single malt in my hand) is when the platter is spinning !! just got done listening to Dave Grusin - "Discovered Again" , a great alblum that Lee Ritenour accompanies him on.

twich54 said:
Hey Jeff and Kaliar, I hope were not the only vinyl junkies on this site ! I don't know about you but my most enjoyable listening(the one with either a martini or single malt in my hand) is when the platter is spinning !! just got done listening to Dave Grusin - "Discovered Again" , a great alblum that Lee Ritenour accompanies him on.
Hi Dave,

I'm sure there are quite a few since many ML club members have very nice analog setups. At least one, jjqiv, qualifies as a certified vinyl junkie ! :D Much more than I do !

Cheers and happy listening ! ;)

Hi Robin,

I'm flattered that you've thought of asking me, because there are many vinyl users here that are much more knowledgeable than I am and who could shed some light on that particular product.

I have never heard the ELP turntable, so I have no idea of its actual sound !

In theory, the concept is interesting but I have read in various show reports that the ELP seems quite finicky about the cleanliness of the LP. What I do find to be particularly nice is the idea that LPs won't be degraded over time by its use !

Cheers !

Thank you.

Kaliar said:
Hi Robin,

I'm flattered that you've thought of asking me, because there are many vinyl users here that are much more knowledgeable than I am and who could shed some light on that particular product.

I have never heard the ELP turntable, so I have no idea of its actual sound !

In theory, the concept is interesting but I have read in various show reports that the ELP seems quite finicky about the cleanliness of the LP. What I do find to be particularly nice is the idea that LPs won't be degraded over time by its use !

Cheers !
Kaliar,

I value comments and oppinions regarding the ELP turntable and appreciate your sharing thoughts with me. :)

I'm a happy Linn customer !!

A few weeks ago, my Unidisk SC player began having problems recognizing CDs (all of them). Instead of showing CDs as CD-DA Stereo, it insisted to treat them as Dolby PL II movies !! :(

The CDs played all right, but if I pushed the Stop button and then the Play again, the Unidisk would switch to CD-DA Stereo mode, which was nice, but would ouput nothing to the preamp, which was not nice !! :eek:

So I called my dealer (Audiolight in Québec City), who sent a technician the following day. The tech checked the setup, made his tests, witnessed the problem and reported back to his boss. The guy contacted right away the Linn Canadian distributor who decided to exchange the defective unit, rather than to have it repaired ! I was delighted since I have had the player for a little more than two months ! That's service !! :)

It just took a few days to get the replacement unit. So I now have a brand new Unidisk SC, even a nicer one since it has HDMI installed !

Having fun testing my new toy !

Last edited:
New addition to the CLS IIa, a ML Depth !

In great part because of the enthousiastic endorsement shown by some club members, I'm a new owner of a Depth, added to my pair of CLS IIa ! :D

My sincere thanks to nsgarch and Jeff Zaret for showing me the way !

Having fun !

I have had the Depth sub for four weeks and am more than pleased with the results. With the low pass filter set at 35Hz, 25Hz level at -3dB, phase at 90 degrees and volume at 3, the Depth is really unobtrusive and just supports the CLS IIa when needed ! To my ears, the sub and panels' integration is just what I asked for !

Proof is I have almost not listened to the Odyssey system in the last month !! :eek:

The CLS IIa / Depth system is so nice that I've decided it was worth it to replace my old PS Audio IV preamp by a better one: a used YBA 2, late Alpha generation. Even if that model has long been superseded by newer versions, it still is pretty good stuff ! Fantastic build, very clean sound, silent and dynamic, very good match to my W-3 ! I like it ! :D

For more than two months, the CLS IIa have been repositioned in my listening room. They are now behind what used to be my primary sitting position, facing the Odysseys, at approximately 8.5' from the back wall. The Depth is right between the CLS IIa.

When I listen to either system, I sit 8' from the speakers. I just move around my listening chair and point it in the correct direction ! ;)

Life is good with ML !! :cool:

Last edited:
Sounds incredible Kaliar. Have you ever toyed with the Hovland equipment on the CLS system? I would have to if I were in your position just to see what it sounded like. Can you post some new pictures?

Last edited:
MiTT said:
Sounds incredible Kaliar. Have you ever toyed with the Hovland equipment on the CLS system? I would have to if I were in your position just to see what it sounded like. Can you post some new pictures?
Hi MiTT,

I have only toyed with the idea because the Hovland manual says "Loudspeakers with impedance curves that dip below 3 ohms are generally not recommended for use with the RADIA." So I am not willing to take a chance with the difficult load presented by the CLS IIa...

However I must say I'm very satisfied with the YBA/Moon combo. The W-3 has a nice current delivery and is at ease with the CLS IIa so I don't feel compelled to try another amplifier.

As soon as my son comes back with the camera, I'll take new pics. They will probably be awful because of my limited abilities and the distance between the listening position and the speakers but since you asked ! :rolleyes:

Time to clean-up now ! :eek:

Last edited:
Depth Subwoofer...

Kaliar,

Soooo you are loving your ML Depth subwoofer with your CLS IIa speakers... :D Congradulation on your newest ML acquisition.
I was just wondering, what do you think of a Depth instead of a new Descent i, paired with the future CLX panels? Would it be enough bass support for a music listening only system? :confused:

Robin said:
... I was just wondering, what do you think of a Depth instead of a new Descent i, paired with the future CLX panels? Would it be enough bass support for a music listening only system? :confused:
Hi Robin,

Considering my room dimensions, my listening habits and the level at which I have set the Depth's volume (a little under 3), I believe that any of the Descent subs would simply be overkill ! :D

So my answer is: for a music only system, the Depth amply satisfies my needs ! I do not crave for more ! :cool:

Take care,

Personally, I think the Decent would be overkill with the CLS of any variety. I believe the Depth is faster because of the 8 inch speakers instead of the 10 inch. Yes the Decent will move more air and be more in your face but too much bass presentation with the CLS.

I have not problem with music or HT application with the Depth. There is plenty of bass. Although I have my volume a little louder than Kaliar because my room is larger, I have the crossover setting at 55Hz and the 25Hz rolled off about -9.

As far as the CLX, I would not hold my breath too long. It may be a long time, if ever, one really appears.

Jeff :cool:

Back