System #365 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No such thing as OT in this T :)

Please feel free Ken to fill us all in on your new, highly intriguing toy (although I'm guessing "toy" is entirely the wrong word).
Give me a week to (begin to) comprehend its many, many features, Todd. The US Rep, who's a great guy and speaks Trinnov inside-out, spent six hours(!) here, yesterday, setting it up and getting me started. The intial results are impressive, even comparing to the TacT, but there's much learning and tweaking to be done before I expect to have anything resembling a useful opinion. Prolly start a new thread at that point.

Give me a week to (begin to) comprehend its many, many features, Todd. The US Rep, who's a great guy and speaks Trinnov inside-out, spent six hours(!) here, yesterday, setting it up and getting me started. The intial results are impressive, even comparing to the TacT, but there's much learning and tweaking to be done before I expect to have anything resembling a useful opinion. Prolly start a new thread at that point.

Can you tell us how you have it hooked in to your system in terms of digitals and analogs?

Can you tell us how you have it hooked in to your system in terms of digitals and analogs?
You bet, Todd. Transport to Trinnov via digital XLR. Using all four Trinnov internal DACs (and they do sound nice!). One each XLR out to L, R inputs on the Sanders, direct to Sub1, Sub2.

At some point this week, I'll try the Berkeley in the loop for the mains using a single digital XLR Trinnov to BADA, with BADA then feeding the L/R via analogue XLR. That's how I had the TacT set up. My goal in all this is to keep the signal in the digital realm all the way from source to DAC - no redundant D/A.

Last edited:
The W4S DAC2 has an integrated precision volume control... so straight from the DAC to the amps and subs. I've been toying with the idea of popping a tube buffer stage in there though.

Grab yourself some tuberism - now!

LS36.5

You know it makes sense.

I'd do it!:)

Grab yourself some tuberism - now!

LS36.5

You know it makes sense.

I'd do it!:)

That one certainly is in the running - and how could it not be with a volume control that goes to 11?

fun fawning from 6moons review of the 36.5: "digs deep into the space drawer of dimensionality and layering where tubes hold the aces"

Last edited:
That one certainly is in the running - and how could it not be with a volume control that goes to 11?

fun fawning from 6moons review of the 36.5: "digs deep into the space drawer of dimensionality and layering where tubes hold the aces"
6moons aside, it's a fantastic tube pre. Fairly neutral, if that's what you're after, Todd. Yes, I'm a former owner.

Yup - for fun before Xmas I bought a Woo Audio WA3 off the 'bay. I'm feeding the output of a Asus Xonar Essence PC soundcard into it, then onto a mid 80s Luxman integrated into a pair of Mark & Daniel Sapphires.

It does the spatial trick and really makes for a pleasant listen. It is however a complete failure at driving AKG 702s - whose 60 Ohm impedance it just can't cope with. The website says it should, and that is a crime. The bass breaks up at too low a volume.

TBH though I did buy it as a tube pre for the Luxman, which is running in direct mode with tone controls switched out.

For the money this little setup is really very nice. It also makes the somewhat dubious sound quality from the satellite TV box much more listenable.

Running it with an RCA 6AS7 and a couple of old NOS Tesla 6922 equivs. That works well.

Just thought I'd say...:) I will however say an old Audio Research LS26 plus an even older Krell KSA50 sounded markedly better with the same speakers. So it ain't amazing, just good for the money.

I tried it in the main system but I prefer the Air Tight passive in that. Tube output CDP into a tube pre into tube power amps = too many tubes!

Thought this would make you smile... what's that in the background? These Apogee owners...:D

scaled_Both.jpg

The "good" downhill you mean, right?
Yes - just being ironic.

Though there's some truth to Justin's observation, as well. All of the knobs to twirl and levers to pull in the GUI make it a geek's delight - and a compulsory education in some of the finer points of audio reproduction. Both blessing and curse. :think:

Yes - just being ironic.

Though there's some truth to Justin's observation, as well. All of the knobs to twirl and levers to pull in the GUI make it a geek's delight - and a compulsory education in some of the finer points of audio reproduction. Both blessing and curse. :think:

But don't you feel that gravitational pull from tubes of yore?
Aren't all those odd-harmonically comprised squarewave transistion times (the bare essence of digital audio) slowly sucking the life out of you?

Also, watch out for Apogee owners... they'll try and sell you Shakti when you least expect it ;)

But don't you feel that gravitational pull from tubes of yore?
Hey, I still own two sets of tube monoblocks!:devil:

Aren't all those odd-harmonically comprised squarewave transistion times (the bare essence of digital audio) slowly sucking the life out of you?
No, I just flip the Retroencabulator switch on the TacT.

Also, watch out for Apogee owners... they'll try and sell you Shakti when you least expect it ;)
Pretty sure Shakti means sh!t in one of the Bantu dialects. :p

Pretty sure Shakti means sh!t in one of the Bantu dialects. :p

"Shakti, the oft used word in the Anusara community, has been defined many ways, and not just one definition will do. Put simply, Shakti is the creative power of the universe and Prana-Shakti is your own personal creative power in the universe. Below is a list of definitions of Shakti that I’ve pulled together from various Anusara sources:

Shaktism focuses worship upon the Hindu Divine Mother, here manifested as Tridevi – the conjoined forms of (left to right) Lakshmi, Parvati and Saraswati.

■creative power of the universe
■creative power of the Supreme
■Power of Consciousness/Chit
■the ecstatic play of Consciousness
■freedom of creative power and expression
■creative unbounded freedom
■pure power of bliss
■Ananda (bliss)
■energy of Consciousness
■Omnipresence

Blending all these definitions together, you can begin to form a more complete picture of what Shakti is. Now that we have the gist for what Shakti is, the question is, how does Shakti behave and act in the world? The answer is that Shakti vibrates, which, appropriately enough, resonates with me.

“Shakti is the creative energy of Shiva (consciousness) that vibrates in everything in the universe at various levels of frequency. Associated with the mind and nervous system, Shakti is like an electrical force.”

If shakti vibrates in all her Bliss, and yes, Shakti is feminine, then this concept suggests to me a more relative world in which we live, whereby nothing created is absolute or static. This gives me hope that if you don’t like a vibration, much like a note in a song, you can wait for the next vibration or even song. Beyond waiting, you can co-create with Shakti to create the song of your choosing with its own notes/ vibrations. Hooray, no more being a victim of the radio of life, I can influence Shakti on my iTunes! I am empowered!

A more specific type of Shakti is called Prana. Prana vibrates as vitality or life itself in the mind/body. Prana, also called Prana-Shakti, is the vital force in our bodies that pulsates and enlivens all bodily functions, including our heart’s throbbing, diaphragm rising and falling, and biochemicals flowing.

In particular, as an example, I love how inversions and deep backbends really get the juices going, emitting a charge of energy, prana-shakti that is so electrifying and fulfilling that a a feeling of well-being immediately comes over you.

That’s the power of Prana-Shakti!"

Ken, looks like you're right.

And sure, if you want some good sh!t, who am I not to sell it to you?:rocker::devil::devil::devil:

Which monoblocks Ken? Your sig reads Sanders so I thought you were keeping the signal within the domain of lightly doped silicon.

I went on a brief and unsuccessful search for your "my system" page.

BTW, is there a way to quickly go to someone's my-system page if they don't include a hyperlink in their sig? If there ain't, there oughtta be.

And sure, if you want some good sh!t, who am I not to sell it to you?:rocker::devil::devil::devil:

Strictly for medical use only I'm sure ;)

Based on that metaphysical, ummmm, summary - it would appear that India's Shakti is equiv to China's Chi, no?

Wiki sez yeah.

"Concepts similar to qi can be found in many cultures, for example, Prana in Vedantic philosophy, mana in Hawaiian culture, Lüng in Tibetan Buddhism, and Vital energy in Western philosophy."

Mana reminds me of an old computer game where you had to collect as much as possible. Magic Carpet was its name.

Which reminds me - I've spent quite a bit of time modifying some NASA code that's a bit like Google Earth. Changed it so you can fly high res 3D models around in it. Looking at the quality of the code, I'm amazed any NASA missions got back home! Well, OK, some didn't :D

Anyway, uh hum. Ken - more system info required - including details of those tube monos. Please. Big please. Don't do a Rich on us now...

Last edited:
Back