System #365 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! That's such a nice looking setup! Love the room (and SIZE), speakers (of course), electronics (I have a Prima Luna too) and the maple rack I always loved too!

My next addition will be a high-end music server next year. I have spent my allowance for my audio hobby for the year my wife says. :eek:

Which m-server are you considering? I've been watching the Olive 06HD announcements unfold. Looks very interesting.

Cheers

Nice setup Todd, I really like your room. Just out of curiosity, how much wattage do those amps put out?

Cheers, Greg

Hi Moon,

Thanks!

The PrimaLuna Dialogue 7 amps are rated at 40 wt/ch (triod mode) and 70w/ch (ultralinear mode). A really nice feature with these amps is the inclusion of a remote that allows you to instantly switch between modes real-time while listening. At first I didn't think I would use the feature that much, but find myself using it often depending on what music I have playing. Fun!

Also, you may be wondering if 70W/ch is adequate to drive the Summits... well, the sound is nothing short of glorious from top to bottom. Plus, I tend more toward Correli than Creed, more Albinoni than AC/DC, etc etc... so the PrimaLunas are perfect (for me).

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow - nice, nice, NICE room! I'd love a room like that!

Thanks Amey01... is that your dog's name? I took a peek at your system as well... very comfortable looking! And I know what you mean about finding the time to just listen, never mind tweaking the system... but I will say with MLs, once you find that sweet spot, it is truly worth the effort/time.

Cheers

WOW! That's such a nice looking setup! Love the room (and SIZE), speakers (of course), electronics (I have a Prima Luna too) and the maple rack I always loved too!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind comments. I've been through many system iterations in this room, but the current setup by far outshines all other to date. I am fortunate in that I work out of the house and need an "office" so I claimed the space over the garage, put my name on the door, and never looked back. The wife thinks I'm nuts, but then what wife doesn't?

Don't you love the PrimaLuna products? I'm fairly new to this brand, but I am literally slackjaw over their finesse and articulation. Porbably the best amp / pre-amp purchases I have ever made.

Well... one problem with this forum is when I wake up to let the cat in/out at 2am, I find myself checking this site and typing away. D'oh!

Take care and enjoy the music!

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the kind comment. Yeah, I've been struggling for a while on how best to treat the sloping ceiling situation here. My room now is not super-live, so I don't think I need much... but a few well placed "side" panels (if you can call a sloping ceiling a side-wall) would like improve things by eliminating first reflections from the "sides".

Have you posted a pic of your system?

Cheers

Not yet. I plan on making some changes and then upload the photos.

Regarding room treatments: the kind folks at GIK mentioned tha I should treat the ceiling with panels. That kind of makes sense since the ceiling is similar to another corner.

Erik

Which m-server are you considering? I've been watching the Olive 06HD announcements unfold. Looks very interesting.
One option which I am seriously considering now for media server is:
  1. Mac Mini (configured for "headless" setup)
  2. Wyred4Sound DAC2
The reasons for this particular combination are many:
  1. Asynchronous USB-based DAC to eliminate jitter.
  2. HDMI output from Mac Mini source.
  3. WAF factor of the Mac Mini.
  4. Remote controlling the Mac Mini using iPhone.
  5. Access to music on NAS.
  6. Options to...web-surf when called for.
  7. Class A output stage from the DAC2.
This is a killer combination for a $2500 budget!

I'm off to CLX land... and can't wait to get there!
Congrats on the CLX journey!! You'll need to upgrade to a "manly" amp to get the most out of the CLX! May I suggest the ... Manley Neo Classic 250... I've had the pleasure of listening to these and they made my SixPacs sound ... wimpy :(

Attachments

• Manley 250.jpg
    Manley 250.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 533

Cheers

I may have to ask wify for additional allowance so I can be one of 20 to pre-order and take the trip. :D

One option which I am seriously considering now for media server is:
  1. Mac Mini (configured for "headless" setup)
  2. Wyred4Sound DAC2
The reasons for this particular combination are many:
  1. Asynchronous USB-based DAC to eliminate jitter.
  2. HDMI output from Mac Mini source.
  3. WAF factor of the Mac Mini.
  4. Remote controlling the Mac Mini using iPhone.
  5. Access to music on NAS.
  6. Options to...web-surf when called for.
  7. Class A output stage from the DAC2.
This is a killer combination for a $2500 budget!

Congrats on the CLX journey!! You'll need to upgrade to a "manly" amp to get the most out of the CLX! May I suggest the ... Manley Neo Classic 250... I've had the pleasure of listening to these and they made my SixPacs sound ... wimpy :(

Wow... thanks for all the input! What intrigues me about the Olive HD solutions is that they offer most of the same features you list.. and the Imeastro iPhone app is pretty cool too (although folks report that they haven't mapped it over to the iPad with much success yet). Regardless, I will look into your suggestions with an open mind (and potentially open wallet).

On the Manley Monos... man, I bet a pair of those would keep a Maine boy like me pretty warm in the winter. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the PrimaLuna Dialogues 7 monos. I've also heard from two independent sources that they mate well with CLX, so I'll ride that train for a little while anyway. But I have always admired the Manley and will keep the recommendation dogeared in my mental notebook. :think:

Thanks again!

Thanks Amey01... is that your dog's name? I took a peek at your system as well... very comfortable looking! And I know what you mean about finding the time to just listen, never mind tweaking the system... but I will say with MLs, once you find that sweet spot, it is truly worth the effort/time.

Cheers

No - not my dog's name sorry - It's my initials.

Love the geometry of your room, and your system is the perfect complement. Very nice, your a lucky man.

Love the geometry of your room, and your system is the perfect complement. Very nice, your a lucky man.

Thanks Jimna... although I think I could take a lesson or two from you wrt room treatment. Your room is outstanding!

I'm loving your systems (2 channel and HT) along with everyone else. I see that you have Lessloss power cords all around. These pc's have peeked my interest since coming to market. So concerning your McIntosh in particular, I'm curious to hear what sonic value these cords gave you over your previous ones? Were they stock cords? I've read quite a few articles and forum reviews on them, but you just never know if this is product hype perpetuated by the manufacture on not. I feel that your view could be more trusted. Thanks.

I'm loving your systems (2 channel and HT) along with everyone else. I see that you have Lessloss power cords all around. These pc's have peeked my interest since coming to market. So concerning your McIntosh in particular, I'm curious to hear what sonic value these cords gave you over your previous ones? Were they stock cords? I've read quite a few articles and forum reviews on them, but you just never know if this is product hype perpetuated by the manufacture on not. I feel that your view could be more trusted. Thanks.

Thanks for the note. Coincidentally, I just replied to another thread concerning PCs... it should answer most of your questions, but if not, please let me know and I'll elaborate further.

Cheers

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11253&page=5

Back