System #335 (Preface)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jim, congrats on the new changes.

Also, as you noted, where the speakers sit makes a huge difference as well, so raising them up a bit is probably helpful for the highs.

Since you obviously care about room acoustics and correct balance, may I suggest you look into a processor that features Audyssey room correction. It would add another layer of detail and soundstage cohesion that has to be experienced to be believed.
Well treated rooms show even better results on the soundstage front that one would think.
Isnt Audyssey room correction just for multi-channel systems? how can it help a 2 channel system?

does your dog know that he is like a giant sound absorber ???

This is the most fun post I've seen here in a long time. :) Like some people get hooked on reality shows, I've been tuning in here. Ha, ha...

Rock On Bro!

Satch

Wow! tremendous room acoustic treatments you have there.

Is it not too much?
a014.gif

But the room is really nice.
a025.gif

Is it not too much?
a014.gif

But the room is really nice.
a025.gif

i would have to say no. i did the room in parts and each part was given a week or 2 of listening to decide if i liked its effect. also keep in mind that 2 of 4 walls are painted concrete which required more work counter than the average sheet rock wall. another thing to consider, most of the treatments are bass traps with reflective faces so i didnt over deadon the room....and as for bass trapping, well the experts will tell you that there is no such thing as to much bass trapping. next time your in a good sounding theatre or hall look up and see what they have done. you would be surprised how much room treatment people avoid because of the looks of things, i dont give a shit as long as it sound right to me.

FWIW, people even remark on the difference that they hear in their own voice when they walk into my cave, uber flat.

satch im glad i can entertain. :cool:

I agree with Satch, it's fun following your progression Jim. We need to get together after the holidays, I really want to pick your brain on the room treatments and look at your construction techniques. I've been spending a lot of time lately looking at some info Dan (DTB300) sent me and pouring over Burke's "Room within the Room" thread. All of you guys are really inspiring me.

Here's the important question of the day. What kind of Burbon do you use to voice the room? I use Makers Mark for the day to day listening, but Bookers or Woodfords Reserve for critical listening.

Here's the important question of the day. What kind of Burbon do you use to voice the room? I use Makers Mark for the day to day listening, but Bookers or Woodfords Reserve for critical listening.
Woodfords Reserve is so yummy, it gets my vote.

Jim, I want to thank you :bowdown: for providing links to your photos and concert recordings. I've been having a blast listening to some of them. How in the world are you able to attend so many concerts!? The rest of you guys really ought to check out his recordings, there're some really tasty bits there!:rocker:

thanks steve. i take a great deal of pride in my recordings so i really appreciate the compliment. FWIW, those are only the bands that allow archive.org to offer their recordings online for free download. i have double that amount of tapes that i couldnt upload to archive, some are here: http://bt.cotapers.org/torrents.php?type=uploaded&userid=221, but bit torrent isnt as simple or user friendly, and yet there are even more bands ive taped that dont allow digital file sharing like The Allman Brothers that are here in my vault. its not very audiophile friendly to listen to live tapes though im told, but i love to hear what an artist really sounds like live, even britney spears sounds ok after shitload of studio production band-aids. live is raw and real, put out or get out. :rocker: another big benefit of live recordings are the huge dynamic frequency response you get from live sound(if your recording rig can capture it) verse a canned studio recording which can often come off dry and lifeless. if the sound system is worthy ill bring home all of 20-20,000mhz, and there is no mistake of that in playback.

my recording rig has been a huge money drain over the yrs, and until recent yrs took all my attention away from playback. mics, preamps, recorders, and all those concert tickets are why i dont have a more impressive electronics rack here in my cave. but then who is worried about playback at home when your always in the car and on the way to the next show.:cool:

I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the music yet, but I did take a gander at a number of the concert photo's and there are some really great ones. I especially liked the ones of Matisyahu for some reason.

I have a taper buddy up in Boulder who's got a huge collection of DAT's he's made over the years. I'm suprised at the number of shows where he's been able to plug into the mixing board. He's got some of the best sounding Ben Harper recordings I've ever heard.

I have a taper buddy up in Boulder who's got a huge collection of DAT's he's made over the years. I'm suprised at the number of shows where he's been able to plug into the mixing board. He's got some of the best sounding Ben Harper recordings I've ever heard.
i need a new DAT deck, my rack mounted fostex died last yr. for now i have my field recording deck i can use, but ive got to many dats to not have a better player, and i dont like all the extra time on the heads of my field recorder.

so i built a set of plinths for the speakers finally. as i said earlier, i moved the couch and chair all behind my desk so the love seat is slightly forward but is now the only thing in the speaker side of the room. i also got the old speaker cabs out and with all that air space opened the image and general sound of the room changed allot. it sounds bigger with a more pronounced image. adding the plinths also gave the bottom end a rinse, cleaning i up a bit while giving the whole presentation over-all a quickness. dropping the height also helped a bunch as did the move away from my front wall. im not sure what made the biggest improvement since ive done so many things all at once.

(please excuse all the Newfy fur tumbleweeds, he is shedding like mad, and moving furniture exposed yet more. i took these pics right after i finished the project and didnt vacuum first. my wife is mortified i put these on the internet)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

eventually i plan to make wood sides for the concrete bases that has a stain that matches the speakers, im not fond of the industrial look. ive already got plans to built a rack for my electronics anyway. why not make things to match...

anyone know what common hardware can be used like spikes on the bottom of wood furniture? any other advice for a DIY rack that i should consider before i get started?

Last edited:
i updated the pics in the first post to reflect progress.

this is before latest arrangement(and Gordans question that pushed me toward the better setup):

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

and now as you can see i moved all furniture but my primary listening seat out of the front of the room, made a set of plinths for my speakers, and created the wife friendly "social area" behind my desk. now my speakers are 4' from the front of the box to the wall behind and 2.3' from the side walls. i also removed 6 HF panels which has brought better balance to the room over all, none were basstraps though. I still need to build a rack to sit the TV and gear on but think ill wait until im more sure of what my needs are. over all im very happy with the improvements, the sound is noticeably better in both image and sound stage. gordan was right, a performance bump indeed.

IMG_05-1.jpg

IMG_10.jpg

IMG_04-1.jpg

IMG_06-1.jpg

IMG_00-1.jpg

Last edited:
the speakers seem to really benefit having the plinths. they are as solid as a rock, thats for sure. the centers are concrete, with a rubber dampener between the concrete and the stone toppers. the wood is just cosmetic of course.

IMG_03-1.jpg

IMG_08.jpg

IMG_09.jpg

IMG_02-1.jpg

IMG_01-1.jpg

Back