System #227 (CLS IIz)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Class A

Reaction score
1. Member Name: David Lau

2. Location: Greater London, UK

3. ML Model(s): CLS II-Z

4. Year Purchased: Dec. 2007

5. Mods/Changes: Eichmann Cablepods, All internal wires in black box with silver plated speaker cables.

My system setup as follows:

Source: I have few but currently using Musical Fidelity KW SACD
Pre: Gryphon Sonata Allegro
Mono's: Gryphon Ref-1
Speakers: ML CLS II-Z ( Walnut colour, UK model )
Sub: Velodyne DD15
Cables: All Missing Link Cryo Ref.

The CLS II-Z is my first ever paired of electrostatic speakers I owned which replaced the B&W N800. I want to have a change from the normal cone speakers for a long time and never had the chance until just recently when I heard these CLS and litually fell in love with them. I mainly listen to female vocals, accustic, piano pieces, jazz and sometimes abit of R&B so realism accuracy of the voice is very important to me. I don't think I will ever go back to cone speakers again, the Velodyne DD15 blends in with the CLS greatly. I do in the future want to try Innersound amplification but unfortunately they are not avaliable in the UK. The Gryphon Ref-1 are great true class A amps with massive current but after reading more into the CLS's regarding the needed amplification, I think I can get the same quality of sound without spending big bucks and massive electricity bill from these 2kw draw on each of the Ref-1.

Please feel free to make any valuable comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC01313.JPG
    DSC01313.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,050
Last edited by a moderator:
David, Welcome !! We all love CLS's on this site, great looking system.

Welcome! I love the look of those CLS's, and those Gryphon monoblocks look VERY beefy. Wow...

Looks like you've got enough power to arc-weld with there... ;)

--Richard

Welcome! I love the look of those CLS's, and those Gryphon monoblocks look VERY beefy. Wow...

Looks like you've got enough power to arc-weld with there... ;)

--Richard

The Gryphon Ref-1 are the best S/S amps I've heard to date, they have massive current and drive the CLS's well. I'am auditioning a Innersound ESL 300 mk2 amp tonight and should be interesting.
Cheers

Last edited:
Great-looking system, David. It looks like you have a nice big room for it; I like the exposed brick wall. I listen to a lot of female vocals as well, and find that sound absorption devices behind the speakers really help vocals a lot (check the link to my system) - but it would be a shame to ruin the look of that wall !

Great-looking system, David. It looks like you have a nice big room for it; I like the exposed brick wall. I listen to a lot of female vocals as well, and find that sound absorption devices behind the speakers really help vocals a lot (check the link to my system) - but it would be a shame to ruin the look of that wall !

Bernard,

Thanks.... someone has already adviced me of the benefit of sound traps but when Velodyne tech man came to set up the sub to the CLS's, he pointed out that my brick back wall is ideal for them because of the uneveness.
Since I'am very new to these CLS's, I'am still learning about them.
BTW, your system look good too.

Cheers :music: :music:

wow, this is one nice system! :bowdown:

If that wall is textured (ie real stone as opposed to stone-effect wallpaper) then you've got pretty much enough diffusion from the start;)

Judging from the monoblocks, you don't need much heating in the room, right?:p

Whereabouts in greater London are you David?

wow, this is one nice system! :bowdown:

If that wall is textured (ie real stone as opposed to stone-effect wallpaper) then you've got pretty much enough diffusion from the start;)

Judging from the monoblocks, you don't need much heating in the room, right?:p

Whereabouts in greater London are you David?

John,

The back wall are real stones :music: ....
I live in sidcup kent 10 mins southbound of blackwall tunnel....
where are you John?.
Cheers

. . . but when Velodyne tech man came to set up the sub to the CLS's, he pointed out that my brick back wall is ideal for them because of the uneveness.

Don't believe it -- that guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. The brick wall is not uneven enough to provide good diffusion, especially of low frequency sound waves. You would be amazed at how much better imaging you would get by having some full-frequency absorption panels behind your speakers. Also, bass traps in the corners would give you much tighter bass, but they aren't really WAF friendly.

Great looking system. Glad to have you aboard.

Rich is right, and one of the best abffusors (for WAF)

are built-in book or record shelves behind the speakers. You can look at my system, but in your situation, I'd recommend installing heavy-duty double slotted shelf standards+brackets right on the brick, painted to match, with oak shelves (leave the back open so you can still see the brick wall. Fill the shelves with books and records, small pictures in glass frames, decorative bowls, heavy decorative plates and platters on display stands --- all somewhat loosely spaced -- not jambed tight.

Remember, the concave (rear) side of the panel focuses the sound to just a narrow section of the wall behind. So six feet wide of shelving (by 7 or 8 ft high) behind each speaker is sufficient to do the deed :rolleyes: although with the size of your wall, it might look better to make them wider or even one continuous unit. The panel should be no less than 3 feet in front of the brick, and need be no more than 5 feet (which gives you plenty of room to access the shelves.)
Don't believe it -- that guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. The brick wall is not uneven enough to provide good diffusion, especially of low frequency sound waves. You would be amazed at how much better imaging you would get by having some full-frequency absorption panels behind your speakers. Also, bass traps in the corners would give you much tighter bass, but they aren't really WAF friendly. Great looking system. Glad to have you aboard.

Whoa, nice setup David. I can see myself in your room kicking back to some Krall or Coltrane, so take that as a BIG compliment. Interesting lighting effects behind your CLS's.....can you elaborate?

Tj

Whoa, nice setup David. I can see myself in your room kicking back to some Krall or Coltrane, so take that as a BIG compliment. Interesting lighting effects behind your CLS's.....can you elaborate?

Tj

Thanks for the compliment....BTW, I also love Krall- narrow daylight. you really wanna be here to experience her in the room...:D lolz.

The lighting behind the CLS's are just simple ceiling light fixings with energy bulbs wired up to a plug positioned just behind the electronic box so I can't see them when sat down on the sofa. simple and cheap with max effect....it also light up the room very nicely.....:music:
Cheers

Beautiful setup! More pictures please of your electronics, especially those georgeous Gryphon monoblocks. Love the look and feel of your room, it must be a great place to listen to music.

Tell me, are these the CLS's that Axel911 was selling a few weks ago? I was flirting with trying to buy them myself, but the logistics of shipping them to the US just didn't make sense. If so then I'm very glad they found a good home in the UK and brought another member to the club.

Many, many hours of happy listening!

.......... You would be amazed at how much better imaging you would get by having some full-frequency absorption panels behind your speakers...........
I agree; I think you need absorption rather than diffusion. For a start why don't you try my noodle trick to see if they make any difference; just lean them against the wall. I get them here for a dollar apiece, so it's very low cost. If it does make a difference then you should be convinced that you should follow Rich's suggestion.

...just lean them against the wall. I get them here for a dollar apiece, so it's very low cost. ....
Alternative hang a couple of blankets temporarily to see how sound is affected if most high frequencies are absorbed at the back.

If it sounds better, then you know you're on to something. If it sounds dead, then you know that you don't want much more absorbtion in your setup.

I wonder - does the Jim Powers 'tow in' techique work with CLSs too?

Alternative hang a couple of blankets temporarily to see how sound is affected if most high frequencies are absorbed at the back.

If it sounds better, then you know you're on to something. If it sounds dead, then you know that you don't want much more absorbtion in your setup.

Actually, this test is not indicative of what good full-frequency absorption will do for you. It will absorb some of the highs, but a lot of smearing occurs because of mid and low bass reflections. So this will sound less "alive" but just as smeared in the imaging, and you will think: "absorption sounds worse." But if you put a full frequency absorber that can absorb from >15Khz down to 250 hz behind those speakers, you will be amazed at the clarity of soundstage and imaging you get. You will hear much deeper into all your recordings.

Wow, nice system! I love the way you've back-lighted the brick behind the logans, as it really emphasizes the see-through aspect of planar speakers. I'll bet you get a lot of "They're transparent!" comments from folks unfamiliar with this kind of speaker.

Back